Arrests coming due to college bball kickbacks

mstranahan

Helluva Engineer
Not a lawyer, but a quick internet search found several law journal articles explaining the difference between a gratuity and a bribe. Timing is the key. Paying someone before the act to get them to commit the act is a bribe. Paying someone after the fact for committing the act is a gratuity. Bribes are illegal. Gratuities, generally, are not

Based on my layman’s understanding, the shakiest part of the whole thing is characterizing an assistant coach at a state U as being a “government official”

Deleted member 2897

I’m not playing your stupid game. You’re wasting Everyone’s time. It’s a shame this is such an easy case but you refused to provide your world class legal services to this guy. Sad.

RonJohn

Helluva Engineer
I’m not playing your stupid game. You’re wasting Everyone’s time. It’s a shame this is such an easy case but you refused to provide your world class legal services to this guy. Sad.

I am finished with this discussion also. I have conducted the discussion with logical reasoning instead of vague hyperbole and attacks. Logical reasoning and vague hyperbole can't reach an agreement, or even an agreement to disagree so it is fruitless for you and I to continue.

Deleted member 2897

I am finished with this discussion also. I have conducted the discussion with logical reasoning instead of vague hyperbole and attacks. Logical reasoning and vague hyperbole can't reach an agreement, or even an agreement to disagree so it is fruitless for you and I to continue.

Look at it this way. Mannafort didn’t register as a foreign agent, didn’t report his income, and didn’t pay taxes on it. Do I know all the various countries’ legal statutes? Have I seen his tax returns? Have I seen his bank statements? No, I’m just going off what I read in the news and the fact he plead guilty to a bunch of stuff.

To expect a full adjudication on an internet message board is silly.

Peacone36

Helluva Engineer
I don’t know why you guys are arguing.
He was charged with crimes. He plead guilty to one of those crimes and is not required to testified against anyone.

Doesn’t the testimony only benefit the NCAA case in this matter since we know who provided the money, who rcvd the money and then who was paid? Doesn’t this just prove that again that the FBI doesn’t care about the NCAA and their dirty business?

I’m thinking that’s where you guys are differing.

“It’s not what you know, it’s you can prove in court” kind of deal?

Also, the NCAA is obviously scummy but they aren’t on trial here. The only thing the FBI cares about is the federal laws that were broken. The guy plead guilty to a crime. That’s a win for the feds. Which is all they care about.

Deleted member 2897

One down:

We all know how gutless the NCAA is. I would be SHOCKED if there was an actual contract between the two - not even pure idiots would ever do that. More likely they had email or text communications between them agreeing to certain things. It is indeed tragic, but that's the risk you take when you cheat.

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
We all know how gutless the NCAA is. I would be SHOCKED if there was an actual contract between the two - not even pure idiots would ever do that. More likely they had email or text communications between them agreeing to certain things. It is indeed tragic, but that's the risk you take when you cheat.
Except for real estate deals, contracts do not have to be in writing.

RonJohn

Helluva Engineer

Deleted member 2897

Its literally on recorded conversations that Zion Williamson was shopped around for six figures, just like Brian Bowen. The difference in outcome? Its obvious.

The NCAA can kiss everyone's ***, one cheek at a time.

Show up for the UNCheat game and be loud fighting against cheaters.

lauraee

Helluva Engineer
Its literally on recorded conversations that Zion Williamson was shopped around for six figures, just like Brian Bowen. The difference in outcome? Its obvious.

The NCAA can kiss everyone's ***, one cheek at a time.

Show up for the UNCheat game and be loud fighting against cheaters.
Depends on the roads tomorrow........

GTHomer

Ramblin' Wreck
So the NCAA made a final ruling on Dewan 'formerly Huell' Hernandez.
He is suspended the rest of this season as well as the first 40% of next season.

Will be interesting to see if he decides to stick around or just start his pro career.
He was one of the athletes mentioned in the first trial.

https://www.cbssports.com/college-b...nd-some-of-2019-20-for-signing-with-an-agent/

Per the ESPN article, he plans to withdraw from school and declare himself eligible for the draft.

http://www.espn.com/mens-college-ba...draft-being-ruled-ineligible-remainder-season

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
@ESPNjacket , you posted as I was typing but I figure I'll post anyway to get my snark fill for the day ...

This has become beyond yawn-worthy but I'll post this just to close the loop on one of the dudes who probably could've testified/cooperated and given substantive info but likely won't ...

http://www.espn.com/mens-college-ba...5440/lamont-evans-plead-guilty-bribery-charge

Former South Carolina and Oklahoma State assistant Lamont Evans, who was accused of accepting $22,000 in bribes, will plead guilty to one felony count of conspiracy to commit bribery, his attorney, Johnny McCray, told the Associated Press

McCray said that the sentencing deal with federal prosecutors calls for Evans to spend up to two years in prison. He has also agreed to forfeit $22,000.