1. Welcome to Georgia Tech Swarm! JOIN US and be a part of the SWARM! GO JACKETS! THWg!

Arrests coming due to college bball kickbacks

Discussion in 'Georgia Tech Basketball' started by msargent1, Sep 26, 2017.

1. mstranahan

mstranahan Helluva Engineer

Not a lawyer, but a quick internet search found several law journal articles explaining the difference between a gratuity and a bribe. Timing is the key. Paying someone before the act to get them to commit the act is a bribe. Paying someone after the fact for committing the act is a gratuity. Bribes are illegal. Gratuities, generally, are not

Based on my layman’s understanding, the shakiest part of the whole thing is characterizing an assistant coach at a state U as being a “government official”

kg01 likes this.
  2. bwelbo

bwelbo Helluva Engineer

I’m not playing your stupid game. You’re wasting Everyone’s time. It’s a shame this is such an easy case but you refused to provide your world class legal services to this guy. Sad.

3. RonJohn

RonJohn Helluva Engineer

I am finished with this discussion also. I have conducted the discussion with logical reasoning instead of vague hyperbole and attacks. Logical reasoning and vague hyperbole can't reach an agreement, or even an agreement to disagree so it is fruitless for you and I to continue.

Jophish17 likes this.
  4. bwelbo

bwelbo Helluva Engineer

Look at it this way. Mannafort didn’t register as a foreign agent, didn’t report his income, and didn’t pay taxes on it. Do I know all the various countries’ legal statutes? Have I seen his tax returns? Have I seen his bank statements? No, I’m just going off what I read in the news and the fact he plead guilty to a bunch of stuff.

To expect a full adjudication on an internet message board is silly.

5. Peacone36

Peacone36 ACCBasketballReport.com Contributing Writer

I don’t know why you guys are arguing.
    He was charged with crimes. He plead guilty to one of those crimes and is not required to testified against anyone.

Doesn’t the testimony only benefit the NCAA case in this matter since we know who provided the money, who rcvd the money and then who was paid? Doesn’t this just prove that again that the FBI doesn’t care about the NCAA and their dirty business?

I’m thinking that’s where you guys are differing.

“It’s not what you know, it’s you can prove in court” kind of deal?

Also, the NCAA is obviously scummy but they aren’t on trial here. The only thing the FBI cares about is the federal laws that were broken. The guy plead guilty to a crime. That’s a win for the feds. Which is all they care about.

lauraee, kg01 and bwelbo like this.
  6. kg01

kg01 Get-Bak! Coach Featured Member

@Peacone36 as the ... voice of reason?

Man, 2019 has been a crazy year ... for 3 days.

7. ESPNjacket

ESPNjacket Helluva Engineer

One down:

8. bwelbo

bwelbo Helluva Engineer

We all know how gutless the NCAA is. I would be SHOCKED if there was an actual contract between the two - not even pure idiots would ever do that. More likely they had email or text communications between them agreeing to certain things. It is indeed tragic, but that's the risk you take when you cheat.

9. orientalnc

orientalnc Helluva Engineer

Except for real estate deals, contracts do not have to be in writing.

ESPNjacket likes this.
  10. RamblinRed

RamblinRed Helluva Engineer Featured Member

lauraee likes this.
  11. RonJohn

RonJohn Helluva Engineer

Have they done anything with any of the information in these cases? I haven't seen anything they have done even with the information that has been made public.

lauraee likes this.
  12. MWBATL

MWBATL Helluva Engineer

That's sarcasm, right? I mean, you *are* kidding, yes?

13. ESPNjacket

14. bwelbo

bwelbo Helluva Engineer

Its literally on recorded conversations that Zion Williamson was shopped around for six figures, just like Brian Bowen. The difference in outcome? Its obvious.

The NCAA can kiss everyone's ***, one cheek at a time.

Show up for the UNCheat game and be loud fighting against cheaters.

lauraee and GTRX7 like this.
  15. lauraee

lauraee Helluva Engineer

Depends on the roads tomorrow........

16. RamblinRed

RamblinRed Helluva Engineer Featured Member

17. GTHomer

GTHomer Helluva Engineer

Per the ESPN article, he plans to withdraw from school and declare himself eligible for the draft.

http://www.espn.com/mens-college-ba...draft-being-ruled-ineligible-remainder-season

18. MWBATL

MWBATL Helluva Engineer

NCAA is so hypocritical...I hope they collapse....University Presidents ought to fire that whole group

bwelbo likes this.
  19. ESPNjacket

20. kg01

kg01 Get-Bak! Coach Featured Member

@ESPNjacket , you posted as I was typing but I figure I'll post anyway to get my snark fill for the day ...

This has become beyond yawn-worthy but I'll post this just to close the loop on one of the dudes who probably could've testified/cooperated and given substantive info but likely won't ...

http://www.espn.com/mens-college-ba...5440/lamont-evans-plead-guilty-bribery-charge