Arrests coming due to college bball kickbacks

slugboy

Staff member

I can see the argument that the NCAA couldn’t finish an investigation and apply sanctions between the end of the court cases and the tournament, but there was really no need for them to put off an NCAA investigation until the end of the FBIs work. The NCAA could have investigated concurrently and simply shared anything they found with the FBI. I think they simply want to procrastinate.

Even if you take Emmert at his word, he has a special talent to mangle a message that should be “we are handling this as professionally as possible, but we have time constraints that we can’t get around“.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

CuseJacket

Administrator
Staff member
Starting to come around to being a Gonzaga fan...
Few: NCAA lacks urgency over investigation
"I'm disappointed. I don't think this is something the NCAA needs to take their time on," Few told Yahoo Sports. "There's teams out here who are competing for Final Fours and national championships and they don't need to stall this thing out. They need to make decisions and roll with it. I think that's on Emmert. Emmert needs to step up and be a leader and make some quicker decisions."
"There's two teams today who were competing who do it right. I know that to be true," Few said, referring to Gonzaga and Tennessee. "And there's a lot of teams who do it right -- the national champions two out of the last three years. There's a lot of great things. This thing is worth saving.

"Everybody's got a value system and you can either adhere to that value system or not and you let it become compromised. [Illegal recruiting is] just something we don't do."
As a reminder, the last 3 national champions were Villanova, North Carolina and Villanova.

Deleted member 2897

UNC ran fake classes for decades with no repurcussions. They’re so brazen that upon the first coaching change opportunity since the investigation, they re-hired Mack Brown again. I’m sure they would re-hire Dean Smith if they could. The NCAA is a joke. Schools have no fear - Brian Bowen was caught being sold for $100,000 and schools like South Carolina lines up to offer him as soon as he announced he was leaving Louisville. People have no fear of the NCAA and many schools don’t mind cheating one bit.

dtm1997

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
UNC ran fake classes for decades with no repurcussions. They’re so brazen that upon the first coaching change opportunity since the investigation, they re-hired Mack Brown again. I’m sure they would re-hire Dean Smith if they could. The NCAA is a joke. Schools have no fear - Brian Bowen was caught being sold for $100,000 and schools like South Carolina lines up to offer him as soon as he announced he was leaving Louisville. People have no fear of the NCAA and many schools don’t mind cheating one bit.
People have no fear? I know a guy named Bud that might prove that incorrect.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
I'm just glad there's no indication of defensive players getting paid on the football side while CGC was at MSSt

Deleted member 2897

Peacone36

Helluva Engineer
And note that Auburn is so proud, that even when their coach refused to cooperate in the schools own investigation, they decided to give a contract extension.

And we just lost a prized recruit to Oklahoma State.

NO SHAME. NO FEAR.

Those schools probably have a president whose balls are still attached

Techster

Helluva Engineer
I have a strong feeling Coach K "retires" in the next year or two.

Get out while he's still ahead...of people outing him and destroying his legacy.

CuseJacket

Administrator
Staff member

During a half-hour hearing in federal court in Manhattan, Bland admitted to receiving a $4,100 bribe in exchange for steering USC players to use a sports management company and financial advisor.

“I knew that my conduct was wrong,” Bland said in a brief statement he read in court.

The sentencing guideline in the plea agreement calls for Bland to serve six to 12 months in prison, though the former coach is expected to receive probation since he doesn’t have a criminal record. The deal doesn’t include any cooperation requirement, but he will have to forfeit the $4,100.

Bland's attorney:
“If the NCAA is unwilling to police itself, I have respect for the Southern District of New York prosecutors for being willing to do it,” Lichtman said. “This is a broken system.”