Arrests coming due to college bball kickbacks

Peacone36

Helluva Engineer

F79A3B38-4EF8-49A0-86E5-17329CD9E871.gif

RonJohn

Helluva Engineer

I have said the same thing before. I didn't read the new indictments, but the old ones basically stated that because Gatto made payments to players that made them ineligible he defrauded the universities even though, at least in the indictment I read, he made the payment at the request of the coach who makes the decision of who to give scholarships to. I intentionally made that a run-on sentence because the logic behind who was defrauded is circular and unintelligible. Gatto and the coaches did violate the rules of a non-government organization, but it isn't illegal to cheat the NCAA. Or at least it hasn't been up to this point. Federal prosecutors could make the exact same argument that players who use steroids committed fraud and money laundering by ordering and paying for steroids that made them ineligible for their scholarship. Instead of losing playing time, they could go to jail. They could make a similar argument that if a coach cheats during a game that he defrauded the other school and put him in jail.

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Reading the most recent indictment Gatto is in a world of hurt. Feds are doing a good job of establishing a money trail.

NC ST might be in more trouble than I initially thought after reading it. Their saving grace will be that the coaching staff is not there anymore.
But anytime that a document reads a coach was given $40K to give to a family of a recruit to keep him committed, that is not good as it is not simply a shoe company trying to influence a kids decision, it is that at least someone on the staff at the school was aware and participating in the action.

Whenever this gets down to the NCAA i would expect NC ST to have to forfeit the victories from Smith's season - which didn't amount to much. Will NCAA hit them with other penalties since a coach is alleged to be involved?

The sham invoices would definitely be a crime.

https://sports.yahoo.com/new-charges-college-hoops-corruption-case-mean-182225446.html

jeffgt14

We don't quite suck as much anymore.
Reading the most recent indictment Gatto is in a world of hurt. Feds are doing a good job of establishing a money trail.

NC ST might be in more trouble than I initially thought after reading it. Their saving grace will be that the coaching staff is not there anymore.
But anytime that a document reads a coach was given $40K to give to a family of a recruit to keep him committed, that is not good as it is not simply a shoe company trying to influence a kids decision, it is that at least someone on the staff at the school was aware and participating in the action.

Whenever this gets down to the NCAA i would expect NC ST to have to forfeit the victories from Smith's season - which didn't amount to much. Will NCAA hit them with other penalties since a coach is alleged to be involved?

https://sports.yahoo.com/new-charges-college-hoops-corruption-case-mean-182225446.html
If they forfeit the losses too then they end up coming out ahead. This isn’t very fair.

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
If they forfeit the losses too then they end up coming out ahead. This isn’t very fair.

You only forfeit wins, not losses. So the record would go from 15-17 to 0-17. From a record book standpoint it is like the games with the wins never happened.

ESPNjacket

Helluva Engineer

RonJohn

Helluva Engineer

In order to be against the law, the money trail would have to lead to a crime. What federal statute is claimed that Gatto violated? The coaches and athletes definitely violated NCAA rules. They signed forms for the NCAA stating that they didn't receive(players and parents), or didn't know anyone who had received(coaches) gifts. The penalties for violating NCAA rules and hiding/obscuring facts from the NCAA are handled by the NCAA, not criminal court systems.

What was a sham about the invoices? The indictment only says that coach CC-3 was reimbursed "pursuant to sham invoices". If the invoices say something like "general services" and Adidas is OK with paying vague invoices, then what crime was committed by approving the invoice?

The indictments are full of scary and demeaning words about Gatto and the coaches. There aren't a lot of actual criminal law statutes clearly spelled out to have been violated. In fact there are no criminal statutes clearly described as being violated. Also, if giving money to a student who then files a false paper with the NCAA is a crime why are the athletes and their parents(who also signed amateurism forms) not also under indictment?

JDjacket

Ramblin' Wreck
They call it vacating wins rather than forfeits. That's why it works that way. Little the NCAA does makes much sense.

Meanwhile, Maryland and Kansas, Adidas and Under Armour, De Sousa:

https://www.cbssports.com/college-b...ped-into-fbi-investigation-of-kansas-recruit/

So the kid wanted to go to Kansas, but his legal guardian had already "sold" him to another school and Adidas had to pony up some money in a counter bid? Man that's pretty messed up... so some kid could be responsible for the school he wanted to go to getting in trouble because his legal guardian wanted the quick payout.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
Not totally on topic but I just can't look away from the trainwreck that is Memphis Tigers basketball ...

.. first of all, why's this guy always on the radio show? What's he gonna do once his kids flame out of basketball. I mean, they're good but they're not that good.

Why do Memphis people act like that city's bball scene is the end-all/be-all? Again, Memphis HS ball is good but it ain't that good.

Peacone36

Helluva Engineer
Not totally on topic but I just can't look away from the trainwreck that is Memphis Tigers basketball ...

.. first of all, why's this guy always on the radio show? What's he gonna do once his kids flame out of basketball. I mean, they're good but they're not that good.

Why do Memphis people act like that city's bball scene is the end-all/be-all? Again, Memphis HS ball is good but it ain't that good.

Chandler is that good I think. JMHO

GTpdm

Helluva Engineer

Get a job with Lavar Ball at BBB?

AE 87

Helluva Engineer

We have an open Assistant job

CuseJacket

Administrator
Staff member
Skechers sues Adidas for false advertising, unfair competition over alleged player payments
Footwear company Skechers sued Adidas in federal court Thursday, claiming its competitor created false advertising and unfair competition by funneling hundreds of thousands of dollars in secret payments to high school and college basketball players and their families to wear its products.

The federal lawsuit, which was filed in U.S. District Court in Los Angeles, alleges that illicit payments made by Adidas and its employees "effectively blocked Skechers and other companies from competing on a level playing field for young, NBA-level endorsers, and unfairly bolstered consumer perception of adidas' overall brand quality and image well beyond the basketball footwear market."

Can you imagine if we went from the R to Skechers? Pardon Jim Gatto.