Arrests coming due to college bball kickbacks

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
“Oh he denied the allegations!!”

Oooooo

Aaahhhhh

Again, what did anyone expect?

Honestly, it sounds like it went kinda like ...

"Oh sh*t, they got that on tape ..."

"Wait, BSPN said what date? Nah, that ain't right. It was weeks before that ... waiiiit a minute, they don't have it on tape after all."

"I deny all allegations."

deeeznutz

Helluva Engineer
The one thing I discussed with a friend which might effect what teams do with their recruits- is to limit the number of players they can sign. You already have a limit of 13 on scholarship max. If you extend that to say only sign a max of 16 every 4 years (16 was picked out of the air) - that makes schools think more on who they sign. You need to allow more than 13 in 4 years to allow for grad transfers, transfers, career ending injuries, kids leaving not related to going pro ... and kids going pro. This puts the onus on the coaching staff to think long term, develop players, etc.

Would Duke have gone after (at least) 4 kids they signed for this season that are likely 1 and done (at worst 1 might be a 2 and done)? ... and then 4 of the top 10 next year (want to bet at least 3, if not all 4, of them never play a junior year at Duke)?

Didn’t they used to have a rule about how many players you could recruit per year and over a 2 year period (I think it was 5 & 8 if I’m remembering correctly)? I seem to remember us getting screwed over by that rule one year during Hewitt’s tenure and having to play out a year with a super thin roster because of a few guys unexpectedly leaving early. Am I making crap up or was this true?

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
That rule existed right at the time Hewitt was hired. They did away with it after he had been year a yr or two. It potentially cost GT Omeka Okafor, who really liked GT alot but wasn't ready to sign in the fall. GT took Mike Southall in the fall instead as they needed a big in a bad way and even though they had a scholly available they stopped recruiting Okafor (which was a mistake, should have kept the fire warm) because they couldn't give out any more that season.

mstranahan

Helluva Engineer
NCSU has a long and storied history of cheating. All the way back to point shaving in the Dixie Classic, I believe. Plus, the leaked "evidence" a couple weeks ago showed Dennis Smith getting $73,000. Of course they're going to look into that

Peacone36

Helluva Engineer
NCSU has a long and storied history of cheating. All the way back to point shaving in the Dixie Classic, I believe. Plus, the leaked "evidence" a couple weeks ago showed Dennis Smith getting $73,000. Of course they're going to look into that

Aren’t they pretty well insulated from the Smith thing? Didn’t that money come as a loan from Dawkins to be paid back after he turned pro? Was there evidence that NCST facilitated that deal? I’m really asking btw...

mstranahan

Helluva Engineer
Aren’t they pretty well insulated from the Smith thing? Didn’t that money come as a loan from Dawkins to be paid back after he turned pro? Was there evidence that NCST facilitated that deal? I’m really asking btw...

I assume the subpoena is to see if they have any records or info that will help with the Dawkins case. I agree, don't think anything has come out so far that implicates Gottfried or NCSU

MWBATL

Helluva Engineer
...I feel rather pi**ed off and disgusted every time I see a team which has been implicated in the payoff scandal or with dirty recruiting win in the tournament (I'm looking at teams like Alabama & Duke, with upcoming games like those involving Auburn, UNC, and Michigan State). I was thrilled to see Arizona get smashed.

And I alone on a moral mountain all by myself? (Seems likely.)