Arrests coming due to college bball kickbacks

MacDaddy2

Jolly Good Fellow
It is interesting to me why Coach CJP, Coach Cal, or the NCAA should give a crap what David Silver wants for his league. Establish the rules that are first best for NCAA basketball, then the players and then the NBA. That is the sole order in which changes should be considered.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
This is an interesting article, including comments from the Executive Director of the PA.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/spor...le-roberts-ncaa-institution-broken/376335002/

I also found this one interesting, because it mentions the series of international academies the NBA is funding.

https://bleacherreport.com/articles...-female-baller-blazing-a-new-path-to-the-pros

At the end of the day I think everyone finds the NCAA, in practice, a ridiculous organization/concept.

It is interesting to me why Coach CJP, Coach Cal, or the NCAA should give a crap what David Silver wants for his league. Establish the rules that are first best for NCAA basketball, then the players and then the NBA. That is the sole order in which changes should be considered.

I don't think anyone is saying they do care or that they should.

I think you're neglecting to see that the entities you named are all separate and have completely different agendas. On top of that, there is minimal incentive for them to work together on this.

The 1-and-done rule is an NBA rule only. Eligibility requirements are an NCAA concern only.

YlJacket

Helluva Engineer
Since they use the G League as an option to breaking the corrupt NCAA system - I will point out that the average salary in the G League is less than $50K per year - many are on $25K salaries. And taxed on that. Pretty easy to make a strong case the corrupt NCAA system is a better deal than that.

The con is the coach making $500K to $5M due to the cash flows into the conferences and tourneys. I understand that and while I think the current situation works well and is in fact fair for for 99% of the players in the system - I would be the first to say the focus of the conferences and NCAA to grub as much cash as is possible makes this a very contentious issue.

BeeRBee

Jolly Good Fellow
Since they use the G League as an option to breaking the corrupt NCAA system - I will point out that the average salary in the G League is less than $50K per year - many are on $25K salaries. And taxed on that. Pretty easy to make a strong case the corrupt NCAA system is a better deal than that.

The con is the coach making $500K to $5M due to the cash flows into the conferences and tourneys. I understand that and while I think the current situation works well and is in fact fair for for 99% of the players in the system - I would be the first to say the focus of the conferences and NCAA to grub as much cash as is possible makes this a very contentious issue.

An article on The Undefeated arguing for the G League as a viable option for the 1 and done types used the idea that they could legitimately supplement the salary with shoe company and agent money. I think it’s an open question how much of the underground cash is tied to the absolute value of the player, and how much is situational of the player at school X.

Obviously LeBron was worth a lot directly out of high school. But would the kid at Louisville have been worth $100k to Adidas in the G League? It’s possible, if they were just creating a portfolio hoping some would hit. And being aboveboard you could have a contract, and reduce the risk of paying and then not getting the player to actually sign to endorse your shoes.

YlJacket

Helluva Engineer
I think they can already supplement their incomes in the G League now? Cannot imagine the contracts would prevent that though I haven't seen anything directly on point.
Kids can already sign with the G League straight out of HS now (not the NBA but the G League) and it has only happened a couple of times.
If LeBron had had to go through the G League then yep he gets a $50M shoe contract a year earlier than if he deferred it for a year in college. But I don't see kids who are 50/50 or less to get to the league warranting anything close to $100K from any shoe guys. Even if they make the league they are generally not stars and no one cares what shoe they wear.

Deleted member 2897

The other thing that's so obnoxious to me about the NCAA and their impotence is the huge societal benefit they are ruining. If you look at CNNs investigation into athletes at several colleges, the profile in these factories is shocking. For example, 70% of the athletes at North Carolina read at or below the 8th grade level. If they can go Pro, great! Who cares. College isn't for everyone, and some people like many of these aren't going to get into a good college without their chosen sport. If they can't make it Pro, think of how life changing a college degree could be for these guys that again would have stood no hope of getting a degree from these places. Sad.

Peacone36

Helluva Engineer
Someone on twitter mentioned today that Sean Miller could possibly lose his job and then sue ESPN. Can someone fill me in as to what grounds he has to sue them?

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
Someone on twitter mentioned today that Sean Miller could possibly lose his job and then sue ESPN. Can someone fill me in as to what grounds he has to sue them?
He does not like the fact that highlight videos automatically start when he opens the summary page of AZ games. It has caused him great distress in the last week and he wants it stopped.

JacketFromUGA

Helluva Engineer
I believe this falls under the "You tattled on me, now I'm pissed, so I have to sue you".
This but I'm sure it would be phrased as "you said false things about me that caused me loss of income. So I'm suing you for the sum or part of the lost income"

H-Wade

Ramblin' Wreck
Thank you

(y)

The article is a good summary of the media these days. Everyone wants to be the first to report something and they don't wait to get their facts straight. IMO they opened themselves up for a possible lawsuit if the original claims by the ugag espn journalist were false.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member

Here's hoping he flips over the table, gives everybody the double-bird finger and walks out ...

... only to be tackled by some FBI goons (who struggle to bring him down until backup arrives), ushered into a black van never to be heard from again...

Peacone36

Helluva Engineer

Here's hoping he flips over the table, gives everybody the double-bird finger and walks out ...

... only to be tackled by some FBI goons (who struggle to bring him down until backup arrives), ushered into a black van never to be heard from again...

Hahaha well done

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
kg's live-streaming this one.

No table-flip. Basically a bunch of blah. Saddened by the negative attention, blah, I've never knowingly committed a violation, never paid a recruit and never will ... out of respeck for the ongoing federal investigation, can't share more .. out of respeck for the family, won't share more ...

... my bosses made me do this - whups, that's my editorial. Then again, considering the standard for "journalism" in the country, perhaps I should've just presented that as Miller's words (per my sources).

Long story short, waste of time, nothing to see here.