Arrests coming due to college bball kickbacks

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
And then spewing them back here, when the kids father obviously reads the board. I guess innocent until proven guilty has gone by the wayside. I bet if it was your son or daughter with their names being drug through the mud, you would advise others NOT to form opinions based on rumors...smh

On top of that, the guy can't come on here now to defend himself/his kid.

Do people not understand that, many times, AAU coaches and other entities speak for kids without the kid or the parent's knowledge? That happens all the time. Why assume it didn't happen here? And that's assuming the player in question is even the guy many assume it is.

Did I use 'assume' enough times to get the message across?

GTJackets

Ramblin' Wreck
So I re-read the Gatto indictment this morning.

I'll add another thought. If Pitino is Coach 2 in the section on L'ville he is really screwed and it makes sense that it could be him.
coach 2 is referred to as "no one swings a bigger **** than coach 2 at company 1 (adidas)", "all coach 2 has to do is pick up a phone and call somebody and say these are my guys , they're taking care of us"
"coach 2 is not one to already have his agent set up so it is up to coach 1 and another assistant at university 6 to steer athletes to certain advisors".

It noted in paragraph 37 that Coach 2 had 2 phone calls with Gatto after the meetings to set up the scheme and a third call on June 1 with Gatto, 2 days before player 10 committed.

I was with you up until this part. I mean Pitino has already come out and said he's shocked. Clearly he had nothing to do with all of this. ;):cautious::rolleyes:

jeffgt14

We don't quite suck as much anymore.
It’ll be interesting to see how this all folds out. There is clearly some kind of process involved in this especially for as long as it’s gone on.

Shoe Company -> School Assistant -> AAU Coach?
Shoe Company -> School Assistant -> AAU Coach -> Kid
Shoe Company -> School Assistant -> AAU Coach -> Kid’s Mother/Father
Shoe Company -> School Assistant -> Kid
Shoe Company -> School Assistant -> Kid’s Mother/Father

Somewhere a financial advisor gets involved too. Maybe $100k is just the standard going rate for a Top10 kid and the AAU coach decides he feels strongly enough about the kid that he wants to pocket $50k. Who knows right now. This will be a fun ride.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
I understand that, but we're still a Russell school until next June. Are you implying that Adidas is willing to pay that amount for us to get Nas? If that's the case, I bet the folks at the U would be royally pissed. And, rightly so.

smdh, I was replying to this post:

I do not see where the funds would come from for us to be competing at the level quoted in the FBI document.

So, I wasn't trying to read your mind like we were actually getting involved and wasn't implying that we would actually get involved, I was just answering the level 1 question of where the funds would come from. If Adidas wanted to direct a 2018 kid to a 2018 associated university, it's possible they would provide the funds for that to happen, and maybe they wouldn't care if he went to GT or Miami. And it's not like it was costing Miami anything.

mts315

Ramblin' Wreck
I would just like to state that we know the school is Miami and the speculation is that it is Nas. However, Miami currently (or before yesterday more accurately) was in on 4 different 5* players and a bunch of high 4* guys.

Wire fraud is what I heard on Twitter, so take it with a grain of salt. The feds have hard-ons for stuff like wire fraud, money laundering, etc. Essentially the manner in which they were moving the money is what got the feds all riled up.

This thing sounds really big and really bad.
Was told once by a former federal prosecutor: "The fraud statute is so broad, fraud is anything I say it is."

YlJacket

Helluva Engineer
I'm of the opinion we touch no one associated with the 4 currently named programs.

If you are going to run with the big dogs and recruit the top 50 (+/-) you can't make blanket statements about what you will or won't do. Everything is going to be a case by case decision of does the kid fit, what do we know about what he and his family did and what is the potential downside to GT recognizing that most probably (or assuredly) we are clean given our Russell relationship. And recognize the issues don't magically end with these 4 programs. It is pretty prevalent throughout the pond these guys swim in. All play for big time shoe company sponsored AAU programs and get exposed to all the stuff we knew about but are now reading about.

RonJohn

Helluva Engineer
Was told once by a former federal prosecutor: "The fraud statute is so broad, fraud is anything I say it is."

The statute listed for wire fraud in the Gatto document is 18 U.S. Code 1343: "Whoever, having devised or intending to devise any scheme or artifice to defraud, or for obtaining money or property by means of false or fraudulent pretenses, representations, or promises, transmits or causes to be transmitted by means of wire, radio, or television communication in interstate or foreign commerce, any writings, signs, signals, pictures, or sounds for the purpose of executing such scheme or artifice, shall be fined under this title or imprisoned not more than 20 years, or both."

The schools are listed as the "defrauded" party because they provided scholarships to players that Gatto knew to be ineligible. I have a very hard time understanding how the schools were in fact victims of criminal "fraud". Like your friend told you, the prosecutors are using broad language to say it is fraud because they say it is fraud.

mstranahan

Helluva Engineer
Funny that a Syracuse fan is posting about pastner being dirty with no proof of course.

I think the Case poster was saying the other four coaches involved with Nas were cheaters and Pastner was the only clean one. That said, calling Roy a cheater is a stretch (though pointing out the "university" has cheated for 20+ years is a fact) and no one has produced any evidence that K or Duke have cheated, so that's just saying the guy hates K. Either way, he put CJP in the best spot on the list :)