Arrests coming due to college bball kickbacks

ESPNjacket

Helluva Engineer
LOL

@GoodmanHoops

NCAA just hit ex-Penn coach Jerome Allen with 15-year show cause for “violating ethical conduct rules when he accepted at least $250,000 from the father of a prospect to train, recruit and place the prospect on the recruited student-athlete list.” Allen is now Celtics assistant.

slugboy

Staff member
Some reporters in Memphis think that the team will get hammered harder in the new process:

https://www.commercialappeal.com/st...s-james-wiseman-tigers-david-rudd/4955229002/

Arguments are: playing Wiseman was dumb; continuing to play Wiseman was really obnoxious; suing may have been OK if they didn’t drop the suit, but is worse because they filed and dropped.

I don’t know if it’s good analysis, but it’s pessimistic

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
I'll be surprised if any of these schools get a harsher punishment than GT did.

The basic defense they are using is that the Fed government said they were victims not perpatrators. That is a misleading defense. What the government was arguing was that the universities (not the basketball programs) were victims of potentially losing Pell Grant money due to these actions. It's pretty clear that the basketball programs had at least asst coaches and in some cases likely the HC having knowledge of what was going on and being fine with it. But much like the UNC case I will not be surprised if the NCAA accepts that and lets them off the hook.

The worst one is LSU. You have the HC on tape talking about payments to players. Supposedly there are alot of HC's upset that Wade has been completely let off the hook by LSU and the NCAA to this point. Their feeling is if he ultimately is not punished what reason is there for any coach to ever follow the rules.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
I'll be surprised if any of these schools get a harsher punishment than GT did.

The basic defense they are using is that the Fed government said they were victims not perpatrators. That is a misleading defense. What the government was arguing was that the universities (not the basketball programs) were victims of potentially losing Pell Grant money due to these actions. It's pretty clear that the basketball programs had at least asst coaches and in some cases likely the HC having knowledge of what was going on and being fine with it. But much like the UNC case I will not be surprised if the NCAA accepts that and lets them off the hook.

The worst one is LSU. You have the HC on tape talking about payments to players. Supposedly there are alot of HC's upset that Wade has been completely let off the hook by LSU and the NCAA to this point. Their feeling is if he ultimately is not punished what reason is there for any coach to ever follow the rules.

I can already see the NCAA response a few years from now: "Well, everyone was cheating. We can't suspend everyone so they all get a clean slate...except GT."

Kidding...kinda...

GTpdm

Helluva Engineer
I can already see the NCAA response a few years from now: "Well, everyone was cheating. We can't suspend everyone so they all get a clean slate...except GT."

Kidding...kinda...
Yeah, well...one thing is for sure: the chances of us winning the remaining points of our current appeal just plummeted....

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
If this defense is successful we should get a redo on the Wendall Carter penalties.

if you read the NCAA document on GT, for all the handwringing about RB, the NCAA largely considered that relatively minor. What they were upset about what the strip club visit and especially LaBarrie lying to GT and the NCAA investigators about that visit.