Arrests coming due to college bball kickbacks

lauraee

Helluva Engineer

Isn't that nice, guess they will also skate. Meanwhile tech was slammed for a couple hundred. Do better ncaa.

lauraee

Helluva Engineer
Evans — who was an assistant for the Gamecocks before accepting the Oklahoma State job in 2016 — was fired in September 2017, just two days after his arrest. Level I violations are the most severe form of violations handed down from the NCAA, and can result in postseason bans, loss of scholarships and more.
Freaking arrested yet NO penalties?!?!

GTpdm

Helluva Engineer

Get prepared guys. Pretty sure we'll see the same outcome. Ncaa just sucks...

This was to be expected. It’s not like Mizzou was a blue-blood program putting $$ into the (college sports pretend-governing body)’s coffers.

And you’re right, we should expect nothing but grief from those self-important arses—because after all, we were fool enough to cooperate with them. We deserve what we get for doing something that stupid.

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
This is probably the big quote in that article

Mike Glazier, Missouri's attorney who has been helping schools out of infractions jams for the last 32 years, reacted to the verdict with a new outlook on how to deal with the NCAA. He told CBS Sports that he will advise schools in the future that they "will probably not get credit" for cooperating with the NCAA.

"What I've always been hopeful of being able to say to [clients] is, 'When you cooperate, you're going to get credit for doing it.' I still have to tell them they have to cooperate. But when they say, 'Am I going to get credit?' my answer is going to be, 'I -- under the current system -- cannot guarantee that. My experience is that you will probably not get credit."

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
This is probably the big quote in that article

Mike Glazier, Missouri's attorney who has been helping schools out of infractions jams for the last 32 years, reacted to the verdict with a new outlook on how to deal with the NCAA. He told CBS Sports that he will advise schools in the future that they "will probably not get credit" for cooperating with the NCAA.

"What I've always been hopeful of being able to say to [clients] is, 'When you cooperate, you're going to get credit for doing it.' I still have to tell them they have to cooperate. But when they say, 'Am I going to get credit?' my answer is going to be, 'I -- under the current system -- cannot guarantee that. My experience is that you will probably not get credit."

Schools will learn from our and Missouri's examples.

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
Maybe the strategy is best to fight the allegations. There are so many now that it could overwhelm the NCAA ability to deal with so many rebuttals. The NCSU rebuttal is pretty lame but will tie the NCAA up for months. UNC spent $18 Million on defending their AFAM scam. It went on for years but they got off without any sanctions.

RonJohn

Helluva Engineer
I seriously doubt that Avenatti is going to cause any serious problems for anyone. He seems a lot like R** B**l to me in that he publishes information to the public intending to affect his legal issues. I don't have any more belief in his posts and statements than B**l's

However, I still don't buy the federal prosecutors' stance in the entire NCAA basketball "scandal". There was an opinion piece in the Washington Post in August when Gatto filed his appeal that did a better job of stating what I had been trying to say: https://www.washingtonpost.com/opin...s-shouldnt-be-helping-ncaa-enforce-its-rules/ Also, it is telling to me that the prosecutors didn't believe that Augustine committed fraud because he pocketed the money that shoe companies intended for him to give to athletes: https://www.si.com/college/2019/05/09/ncaa-trial-fbi-bribery-corruption-mark-emmert
The FBI also arrested a Florida-based AAU coach named Brad Augustine, but the charges against Augustine were dropped when he told prosecutors he kept any money intended for players and their families for himself.
So the person that actually defrauded someone by pretending to transfer money for one party to another, but kept it to himself isn't guilty of fraud(Isn't that embezzlement by definition?) but someone who freely gives money to one party at the request of another party is guilty of fraud?

In his first press conference on the matter, prosecutor Kim stated that they would bring the "underbelly" of NCAA basketball into the open. At trial, they kept as much information as possible out of the public eye. As far as I know the haven't released any information to the NCAA except for information that they couldn't keep hidden during the trials. If the real intent of Kim and the FBI was to protect innocent student athletes from being taken advantage of by monsters, I don't think they have come near to accomplishing that.