Arrests coming due to college bball kickbacks

lauraee

Helluva Engineer
if you read the NCAA document on GT, for all the handwringing about RB, the NCAA largely considered that relatively minor. What they were upset about what the strip club visit and especially LaBarrie lying to GT and the NCAA investigators about that visit.
How is that any different than self lying? Oh yeah it's Kansas.

GTBatGirl96

Jolly Good Fellow
Didn't Auburn try to say to the NCAA that they self imposed a recruiting restriction but some reporter caught Pearl breaking it on Twitter? Another program that should get the hammer but won't.....

cyclejacket

Jolly Good Fellow
if you read the NCAA document on GT, for all the handwringing about RB, the NCAA largely considered that relatively minor. What they were upset about what the strip club visit and especially LaBarrie lying to GT and the NCAA investigators about that visit.

I was responding to the interpretation by Dodd that if Kansas is penalized the NCAA should look at Duke because that is where Zion went. Same scenario with Carter.

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
A few transcripts from the HBO special. if Wade doesn't get his comeuppance than they might as well just disband the NCAA

https://www.cbssports.com/college-b...t-pay-for-play-schemes-in-college-basketball/

CBS Sports was provided a screener of the documentary in advance of its airing.

In an undated call between Dawkins and Wade from the summer of 2017 (when we know the FBI tapped Dawkins' phone), the following conversation is had:

WADE: Hopefully (Jaron) Blossomgame's not blowing you up too much right now.

DAWKINS: Well listen, I mean [expletive], he could be playing for LSU or some [expletive]. He could have fifth-year eligibility and if he doesn't get drafted like Randolph Morris or some [expletive] like that.

WADE: We'll take that. We'll take it.

DAWKINS: I know you will. I know you will.

WADE: We could compensate him better than the rookie minimum.

DAWKINS (laughing): You probably right about that, too.

WADE: We'd give him more than the the D-League.

DAWKINS: Exactly. Exactly. God bless us all. God bless us all. So, what's the good word, though?

WADE: All right I was thinking last night on this Smart thing. Like, I'll be honest with you, I'm [expletive] tired of dealing with the thing. Like I'm just [expletive] sick of dealing with this [expletive]. What do you think, 'cause I went to him with a [expletive] strong-*** offer about a month ago. [Expletive] strong. Now, the problem was, I know why he didn't take it now -- it was [expletive] tilted toward the family a little bit. But I mean it was a [expletive] hell of a [expletive] offer. Like, hell of an offer. Especially for a kid who's going to be a two- or three-year kid.

DAWKINS: Right.

WADE: I've made deals for as good a players as him that were [expletive] a lot simpler than this.

The doc cuts from that call to Dawkins making further clear his impression of the conversation with Wade. Dawkins goes so far as to praise Wade for pulling off what he did and keeping his post at LSU.

"100% talking about money," he says in the film. "Just audacity, you gotta take your hat off to him, man. He, not only didn't get charged for anything, not only did the government have all this information and evidence and nothing was happening on a criminal level, he also basically just said [expletive] you to the NCAA and to the university he worked for.

lauraee

Helluva Engineer

In the end, Dawkins and Haney suggest that Miller and Wade — and head coaches in general — weren’t punished was because stronger powers were at work behind the scenes.

“Lack of evidence was not the reason that coaches were not charged,” Dawkins he said of the coaches.

“They could’ve blown this whole thing up if they wanted to and they didn’t because the right people got to the right people and it was stopped,” he said.

Connell62

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
My Top 3 Wishlist for NCAA Comeuppance:

1. Will Wade - **** this whiny cheater. Cheats and still cannot win enough. Based his actions with LSU and the NCAA, he thinks he’s a tough guy. Hope he ends up with a lifetime show clause.

2. Bill Self - Cheated for a long, long time and as smug as they come. Please take him down.

3. Sean Miller: It’s not right that his assistant took the fall when he clearly has cheated for years.

As much as I would love to see all 3 go down in flames, I’m sure we all agree that a slap on the wrist will be all that they get...if that.

MWBATL

Helluva Engineer

1. Will Wade - **** this whiny cheater. Cheats and still cannot win enough. Based his actions with LSU and the NCAA, he thinks he’s a tough guy. Hope he ends up with a lifetime show clause.

2. Bill Self - Cheated for a long, long time and as smug as they come. Please take him down.

3. Sean Miller: It’s not right that his assistant took the fall when he clearly has cheated for years.

As much as I would love to see all 3 go down in flames, I’m sure we all agree that a slap on the wrist will be all that they get...if that.
Not that the NCAA has ever impressed me a lot, but this whole episode has made me wish for the downfall of that entire organization. If they cannot regulate to prevent blatant cheating, what good are they anyway?

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member

Agree on all counts. Most would be shocked to know Wade has like no tournament wins although he seemingly walks around like he has Wooden's record.

And, it'll never happen, but Kryshewskidkgji needs to be on your list. Probably didn't start off as a cheater, but nowadays .....

Peacone36

Helluva Engineer

I can't really say that I blame them. At this point, we all know how the NCAA works and NC State doesn't bring a whole lot of cheddah to the table, which means the governing body is shaping that paddle like O'Bannion on the last day of school.

In reality, the judgement and sanctions should be against Gottfried, Yow (though she is retired), any leadership within the athletic department that may still be in place and repayment of money by Dennis Smith Jr., which would be difficult (or maybe impossible) to enforce given the NCAA's limitations. It's been three full seasons since Smith was at NC State, there are currently zero players on the roster that were there while he was. To hit this roster and coach with any kind of reprimand or postseason ban would be absolutely ridiculous IMHO.

lauraee

Helluva Engineer
I can't really say that I blame them. At this point, we all know how the NCAA works and NC State doesn't bring a whole lot of cheddah to the table, which means the governing body is shaping that paddle like O'Bannion on the last day of school.

In reality, the judgement and sanctions should be against Gottfried, Yow (though she is retired), any leadership within the athletic department that may still be in place and repayment of money by Dennis Smith Jr., which would be difficult (or maybe impossible) to enforce given the NCAA's limitations. It's been three full seasons since Smith was at NC State, there are currently zero players on the roster that were there while he was. To hit this roster and coach with any kind of reprimand or postseason ban would be absolutely ridiculous IMHO.
Hey they hit us & none of our current players were involved. Paying Smith per rules should be way more egregious than a strip club visit. Remove our remaining restrictions then I'll feel more sympathetic toward State. Otherwise, give them a post season ban + scholarship & recruiting limits.