Arrests coming due to college bball kickbacks

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
Let me see if I understand what happened. Zion Williamson was offered, according to testimony at Federal trial, a nice sum of money to play for one season at TCU. He turned down that offer and agreed to play at Duke for one season for free. Granted, Fort Worth is no paradise, but neither is Durham. Of course, Williamson is a NC native and he might have wanted to stay near home to play for one year. But who knows? I bet the house in Durham is really nice and his P's like it a lot.

mstranahan

Helluva Engineer
@kg01 Things are indeed getting very interesting in court. (Will get much more so if Nike gets pulled into court also) Since the FBI makes no money from any college hoop team, no one can use the "they're protecting the schools that make the money" excuse. If they have any evidence on Kentucky, Duke, or UNC they are really going to great lengths to make us all wait for the big reveal. My assumption is that if they had video or audio or even a text showing someone handing money to a coach at one of those schools, it would've been the first thing they showed. Until there is evidence, it's all hearsay and innuendo. Will continue to wait and see what comes to light.

@RonJohn Agree completely. I understand there were LOTS of NCAA violations but still don't see the criminal fraud in all of this. The Lori Loughlin / Felicity Huffman scam? Absolutely. This? Not so obvious

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
@kg01 Things are indeed getting very interesting in court. (Will get much more so if Nike gets pulled into court also) Since the FBI makes no money from any college hoop team, no one can use the "they're protecting the schools that make the money" excuse. If they have any evidence on Kentucky, Duke, or UNC they are really going to great lengths to make us all wait for the big reveal. My assumption is that if they had video or audio or even a text showing someone handing money to a coach at one of those schools, it would've been the first thing they showed. Until there is evidence, it's all hearsay and innuendo. Will continue to wait and see what comes to light.

Of course you will.

I think most of us recognize you won't let go of your crusade to defend Duke's honor. A 'win' for me is to hear you admit it makes no logical sense to suggest these guys turned down 6-7 figures to pick Duke for free.

Also through the Avenatti stuff, I think it was mentioned that the FBI is working with (or on) Nike in some capacity. That could explain why they (and, by extension, their network of schools) have gone unmentioned so far.

I get the impression that, basically by chance, the wiretaps here were all adidas-specific. There is no indication that similar stuff does or doesn't exist on Nike folks.

The fact that Code, who's on trial, basically ran Nike's network before moving on to adidas not long before this investigation kicked off would suggest ... well, I mean are we saying he started cheating once hired by adidas?

C'mon strahan.

mstranahan

Helluva Engineer
your crusade to defend Duke's honor

Not defending Duke's honor. Until there is evidence that any school broke the rules, they are not guilty. Duke, UVA, George Mason, whoever. I am simply replying to your crusade (along with most others on the board) to declare Duke guilty with no evidence provided yet that shows they did anything. Lots of accusations that "free doesn't win a bidding war" and "we all know Duke gives players' parents houses" yet the NCAA & FBI seem incapable of locating these houses that "everyone" knows about. If the evidence comes out, throw the book at them. If it doesn't, it is what it is.

A 'win' for me is to hear you admit it makes no logical sense to suggest these guys turned down 6-7 figures to pick Duke for free.

Haven't seen any indication that any player anywhere received 6 or 7 figures unless you count the two to the right of the decimal. Pitino allegedly was willing to throw $100 - $150k to get Bowen, but that figure has been shown to be questionable. Numbers around Ayton were sketchy, but believed to be around $100k. Think the alleged number for Nas was $115, but again that was deemed suspect at best

mstranahan

Helluva Engineer
he shoes+$11,000 were put together by the new Kennesaw St HC. They're probably scrambling right now.

Isn't this the same thing LSU did with Hot Rod Williams in '85 to '86? Wouldn't you think they could find a new schtick instead of recycling the cash in a shoebox thing?

dtm1997

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Isn't this the same thing LSU did with Hot Rod Williams in '85 to '86? Wouldn't you think they could find a new schtick instead of recycling the cash in a shoebox thing?

This time, the money was actually in the shoes, not just in the box. Pretty nice differentiating factor.

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
The Wentzel article is a great read as is this one

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Never before had CBB’s greasy, pitiful recruiting realities been seen like this—at its best and worst—in a most appropriate setting: a glitzy suite on the Vegas Strip. Videos provided proof—and widespread accusations—against the biggest names in the sport.<a href="https://t.co/ErcSIzHi5u">https://t.co/ErcSIzHi5u</a></p>&mdash; Matt Norlander (@MattNorlander) <a href="">April 25, 2019</a></blockquote>
<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>