Arrests coming due to college bball kickbacks

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
BS? Maybe I’m way behind here but do you actually think Duke landed the top 3 kids in the 2018 class because of tradition or the spectacular city of Durham NC?

No, I think he's saying they all turned down 6-7 figures to .. *gasp* go to Duke for free. How magnanimous of them. :angelic:

@mstranahan here are my posts where I trumpeted Avenatti's dook comment. Note how much color I added to posting the tweet (not visible since Avenatti locked his profile).

The evidence clearly reveals SO MUCH trumpeting on my part. Not merely posting them in the relevant thread, but singing it from the mountain tops.

I stand with dtm on this one. The unholy alliance has been formed. :eek:

Peacone36

Helluva Engineer
I don't know what Duke did / didn't do to get recruits. Just saying that you trumpeted this tweet by a notorious liar who is under indictment for fraud and embezzlement and now that particular tidbit is obviously a case of him getting punked. Kinda thinking Avanetti and Ron Bell may be related.

But when it came to Bells claims.....Okogie and Jackson were “guilty” of impermissible benefits. Just because you’re a narcissistic ***hole doesn’t mean you’re lying all the time.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
But when it came to Bells claims.....Okogie and Jackson were “guilty” of impermissible benefits. Just because you’re a narcissistic ***hole doesn’t mean you’re lying all the time.

"Uhm, what did you call me ... ohhh, you meant ... " - K

GTRX7

Helluva Engineer
That's not really what happened in the Derrick Rose case. His qualifying SAT was invalidated near the end of his one basketball season. Memphis asked him if he took the test and he said yes. Later, after he was gone, the case went before the Committee on Infractions. He was presumed guilty because the College Board flagged his test as invalid, not because he wouldn't appear.

As mentioned earlier the NCAA has no subpoena power. Their investigative tools are limited by design. They get very frustrated and get carried away with punishments for the silly violations they uncover with that limited power.

I understand that people don't get it. You can make a solid argument that you aren't supposed to get it. That is part of the design. They are really student-athletes! Trust us!

You are correct that I did misremember the Rose facts. The SAT testing agency flagged Rose's SAT as questionable and started an investigation. Rose was notified of this in March and April during the NCAA tournament, though he did not tell Memphis. It was that investigation, by the SAT testing agency not the NCAA, that Rose failed to cooperate with. Although the SAT testing agency did not have proof that he cheated, because Rose failed to cooperate with the investigation, they invalidated his test in May after the tourney was over. (Note, I do think he probably cheated on the test and that is why he didn't cooperate. I have no issue with his test being invalidated for not cooperating.)

However, I stand by my larger point. I agree that the NCAA does not have subpoena power. Like the SAT testing company that also did not have subpoena power, however, that does not mean they don't have penalties they can enforce if someone doesn't voluntarily cooperate with an investigation. Even without subpoena power, it is my understanding that the NCAA has the power to suspend active players and coaches for not voluntarily cooperating with investigations. They cannot fine or jail them for not cooperating, but they can control who is eligible to participate in their organization. "Failure to cooperate in an NCAA enforcement investigation" is itself an NCAA "Level I" violation.

ESPNjacket

Helluva Engineer
"N.C.A.A. did come down on Cal Poly San Luis Obispo for violating rules, placing it on two years’ probation and demanding it vacate the university’s only N.C.A.A. men’s basketball tournament berth. Its crime? Giving athletes too much money — in one case, $5 over the limit — for books."

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/04/23/...html?action=click&module=News&pgtype=Homepage

The Swarm did come down on orientalnc for violating rules, placing it on two years' probation and demanding it vacate its only quoted post. Its crime? Reposting information 5 days late.

ESPNjacket

Helluva Engineer
The story was in Times today. But, I will beg the mercy of the court.

We should all take note that the NY Times is a terrible place to consume sports news.

tumblr_lc738lDRh31qe0eclo1_r1_500.gif