Arrests coming due to college bball kickbacks

GTRX7

Helluva Engineer
It’s continues to shock me that some of you guys are shocked by what goes on at schools that put winning above all else.

Still hard for me to reconcile this kind of continued activity with the Laberrie situation. With all the facts now out, it seems that the Laberrie situation came more down to "he tried to lie about it," than what he actually did. But I have always had a problem with that kind of enforcement. Wade commits what is basically 3rd degree murder (as NCAA violations go), refuses to talk to the NCAA for a long while, then just denies it and now is reinstated. Laberrie committed what is basically shoplifting, lied about it, but allegedly corrected his testimony the very next day, and now may get a show-clause. How is lying about shoplifting worse than committing murder?

Deleted member 2897

Still hard for me to reconcile this kind of continued activity with the Laberrie situation. With all the facts now out, it seems that the Laberrie situation came more down to "he tried to lie about it," than what he actually did. But I have always had a problem with that kind of enforcement. Wade commits what is basically 3rd degree murder (as NCAA violations go), refuses to talk to the NCAA for a long while, then just denies it and now is reinstated. Laberrie committed what is basically shoplifting, lied about it, but allegedly corrected his testimony the very next day, and now may get a show-clause. How is lying about shoplifting worse than committing murder?

You need:
A) To be obstinate and willing to tell the NCAA to go f themselves.
B) You need to be at a school that supports and endorses that kind of behavior.

ESPNjacket

Helluva Engineer

Analogies between normal life and the NCAA are major fails. They don't work and just confuse people.

The most important thing to the NCAA is the cooperative principle. The member institutions are supposed to self-report and be honest. The second most important thing is record keeping. Bad record keeping is called lack of institutional control.

Whether you agree with any of this is immaterial. The schools run the NCAA and that's what they set up.

MWBATL

Helluva Engineer
The schools run the NCAA and that's what they set up.

You know, given how awful most universities are with actually running things, the way the NCAA runs is beginning to make more sense to me. Bureaucratic, focused more on form than function, dedicated to appearance over reality....yup, that's the way most schools are run, and that's the way the NCAA is run. OK, thanks for that explanation!

GTRX7

Helluva Engineer
Analogies between normal life and the NCAA are major fails. They don't work and just confuse people.

The most important thing to the NCAA is the cooperative principle. The member institutions are supposed to self-report and be honest. The second most important thing is record keeping. Bad record keeping is called lack of institutional control.

Whether you agree with any of this is immaterial. The schools run the NCAA and that's what they set up.

But Wade refused until this week to talk to either the school or the NCAA. How is that cooperating? Now he probably lied, he just didn’t correct his lie.

Deleted member 2897

But Wade refused until this week to talk to either the school or the NCAA. How is that cooperating? Now he probably lied, he just didn’t correct his lie.

Well I mean Bruce Pearl told Auburn and the NCAA they could go F themselves and he wasn’t talking to anybody. So Auburn gave him a contract extension. In the SEC, you reward that UNCheat level of obstinance and cheating handsomely.

ESPNjacket

Helluva Engineer

The NCAA can't force anyone to answer questions. Again, that is how the schools set it up.

You seek justice in a system that is not set up to administer justice. It isn't a good system and doesn't do good things. It is designed that way.

Peacone36

Helluva Engineer
They have no subpoena power. You’re not under oath. You risk a show cause if you lie, but it’s not perjury. You can lie to them.

Walk in and tell em 2+2=Chair.

GTRX7

Helluva Engineer
The NCAA can't force anyone to answer questions. Again, that is how the schools set it up.

You seek justice in a system that is not set up to administer justice. It isn't a good system and doesn't do good things. It is designed that way.

I am pretty sure they can force active coaches and student athletes to answer questions, or they can ban them from playing/coaching. It is when you get to former student athletes and coaches, agents, shoe reps, family members, etc. that the NCAA has no investigation enforcement power.

I also remember when Derrick Rose refused to talk to the NCAA. They didn't just throw their hands up and say, "well, guess we can'd do anything." Instead, they presumed him guilty since he didn't cooperate and then applied strict liability to Memphis. Not that the NCAA has particularly chosen to follow that precedent (cough, DUKE, cough), but it is there.

dtm1997

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member

Peacone36

Helluva Engineer

mstranahan

Helluva Engineer
I don't know what Duke did / didn't do to get recruits. Just saying that you trumpeted this tweet by a notorious liar who is under indictment for fraud and embezzlement and now that particular tidbit is obviously a case of him getting punked. Kinda thinking Avanetti and Ron Bell may be related.

ESPNjacket

Helluva Engineer
I am pretty sure they can force active coaches and student athletes to answer questions, or they can ban them from playing/coaching. It is when you get to former student athletes and coaches, agents, shoe reps, family members, etc. that the NCAA has no investigation enforcement power.

I also remember when Derrick Rose refused to talk to the NCAA. They didn't just throw their hands up and say, "well, guess we can'd do anything." Instead, they presumed him guilty since he didn't cooperate and then applied strict liability to Memphis. Not that the NCAA has particularly chosen to follow that precedent (cough, DUKE, cough), but it is there.

That's not really what happened in the Derrick Rose case. His qualifying SAT was invalidated near the end of his one basketball season. Memphis asked him if he took the test and he said yes. Later, after he was gone, the case went before the Committee on Infractions. He was presumed guilty because the College Board flagged his test as invalid, not because he wouldn't appear.

As mentioned earlier the NCAA has no subpoena power. Their investigative tools are limited by design. They get very frustrated and get carried away with punishments for the silly violations they uncover with that limited power.

I understand that people don't get it. You can make a solid argument that you aren't supposed to get it. That is part of the design. They are really student-athletes! Trust us!

dtm1997

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member

@mstranahan here are my posts where I trumpeted Avenatti's dook comment. Note how much color I added to posting the tweet (not visible since Avenatti locked his profile).

The evidence clearly reveals SO MUCH trumpeting on my part. Not merely posting them in the relevant thread, but singing it from the mountain tops.