Arrests coming due to college bball kickbacks

YlJacket

Helluva Engineer
the one thing I agree with him on is they are going to have to figure out what to do if a player doesn't like his draft position and wants to come back to college.

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Following up on DTM's post. Pat Forde has an article on this over on Yahoo sports. It's largely just a straight reporting.

https://sports.yahoo.com/coach-k-ca...-vision-for-college-basketball-004351154.html

What is more interesting are the comments (currently 722).
Let's just say that K is not really received as an honest broker for NCAA Basketball.
The comments mostly range from 'he is only saying this because he is worried his basketball program is going to be negative effected' to 'let the kids go straight to the pros and let kids who want to come to college come to college'.

K's issue is he doesn't have alot of credibility with the average college basketball fan that doesn't live in Durham. When the federal probe became public he either did not say anything at all or said that it really wasn't that big of deal (Roy was like this as well).

My feelings are pretty simple. if they want to go to an Olympic model where the athletes can get outside money i'm fine with that. If they want to let kids go straight to the NBA and keep the current system I am fine with that. The only thing I would not be fine with is the universities directly paying the athletes. That is not really the role of the university.
The other issue with paying them directly is that under current U.S. laws you would likely have to pay every SA, not just men's college basketball SA's.

ESPNjacket

Helluva Engineer
The other issue with paying them directly is that under current U.S. laws you would likely have to pay every SA, not just men's college basketball SA's.

Which brings us full circle to why the phrase "student-athlete" was coined by the NCAA in the first place. They thought the schools would be responsible for workman's comp if deemed to work for the school in any way. Now add in health insurance and you'd have huge sums of money.

DCjacket

Georgia Tech Fan
Hmmm... NBA starts to ready itself to take the best HS kids sooner than later and all of a sudden Coach K starts talking about amateurism being outdated.

Wait. Isn’t this hypocrite the one that was not gonna recruit one and done players? And then when he realized that he can’t win vs calipari, then he changed his mind?

Deleted member 2897

Wait. Isn’t this hypocrite the one that was not gonna recruit one and done players? And then when he realized that he can’t win vs calipari, then he changed his mind?

Who can blame him? The cost of paying all those players and buying all those houses for the players' parents increases substantially when you have to do it every single year. Not many other schools can keep up with Duke like that. I'm sure he's scared he will lose his cheating advantage.

GSOJacket

Jolly Good Fellow
There is no doubt that changes need to be made if college basketball is going to continue with a semblance of integrity. However, do I detect just a trace of envy in this thread?

Deleted member 2897

Of course.
We want to win.
You can’t win monopoly without rolling the dice

We also need the NCAA to stop being a joke. You have a large number of schools trying to follow the rules. You have another group of schools trying to cheat, the NCAA knows it, but won't do anything about it. That's to me the biggest point of frustration.

Peacone36

Helluva Engineer
We also need the NCAA to stop being a joke. You have a large number of schools trying to follow the rules. You have another group of schools trying to cheat, the NCAA knows it, but won't do anything about it. That's to me the biggest point of frustration.

I think this is where we disagree. I think a large number of schools are cheating and you have a small group of schools that the NCAA won’t punish because they make money for the organization that is made up member schools aaaaand when those schools do well, particularly in the tournament those member schools make $$$$.

Two consecutive classes there is evidence of Duke players receiving impermissible benefits and literally nothing has been done.

dtm1997

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
There is no doubt that changes need to be made if college basketball is going to continue with a semblance of integrity. However, do I detect just a trace of envy in this thread?

I'll say two things.

I hate dook for reasons of my own, so that's entirely separate.

I've clearly stated that I believe all NCAA sports should follow the Olympic model allowing all student athletes to be paid what the free market will bear.

I support this knowing full well that GT athletics is likely to get blown the **** out of the water by many many programs including, in some cases, athletics programs that some may look down their nose at.

That's on us as a GT fan base, ultimately.

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
Coach K is 72 this year. His age would be used against him in recruiting except one and dones don't care as long as he is there for the year they play. They want the one year to have a chance to play for a legendary coach and a shot at a national championship.

MWBATL

Helluva Engineer
I think this is where we disagree. I think a large number of schools are cheating and you have a small group of schools that the NCAA won’t punish because they make money for the organization that is made up member schools aaaaand when those schools do well, particularly in the tournament those member schools make $$$$.

Two consecutive classes there is evidence of Duke players receiving impermissible benefits and literally nothing has been done.
I agree that a large number of schools cheat. I do think GT is in the minority and our W-L record reflects that.

Techster

Helluva Engineer