Arkansas

Boaty1

Helluva Engineer
Arkansas is a trash team. I’m sick of excuses. The last 5 years of football basketball combo have been disastrous.

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer
Wow. I haven’t followed basketball recruiting much so I’m a little uninformed. What is the talent level for GT’s team? Obviously the best PG has been out the past 2 games, and Usher isn’t eligible yet, but is this team worse than 2 very average SEC teams?

Talent level is improving, but you can't just replace the loss of a 3 year starting PG who is arguably or best player, and unarguably our most important. Combine that with Usher sitting, and the decision to redshirt Sjolund, and we were playing with 2/3rds of the allotted scholarships. That is hard to overcome, especially against the style of play that Arkansas plays that puts a lot of pressure on the guards. This game is a tough pill to swallow because we had our chances, looked to have won it, and lost it on a fluke shot, but overall this game doesn't really indicate a bad year for us, assuming Jose gets back healthy and Usher is a positive addition. But we desperately need Jose back because we're lacking without him.

dtm1997

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
It was brutal. Didn't BJ need to hit iron on a FT to click the game and ends up making the FT?

ChasonBaller

on Pastner Polo watch
Evan brought the grit.

We had no one out there to initiate the offense...or whatever the offense was supposed to be.

We ran multiple pick and rolls but with them hedging the screens and taking the roll man we should have backside cutted them apart. STOP STANDING ON THE PERIMETER AND CUT!

Our big men need to work on their hands, looked like Alex Len out there (Not a good thing, sorry Trae Young's assist totals).

Lots of bad passes from our guards and wings. We had to put Moore and Price in situation where they are not comfortable and it showed. Ball fakes will work wonders but it will take the young guards some time...

Devoe and Bubba were the only ones who could drive but Mike just couldnt get the 7 footer to fall consistently tonight.

Arkansas is not a good team, Joe is solid and Jones is respectable....but that's about. Also, running around the court and not calling bank...#PartyFoul. Should have won tonight, TV Teddy or not, we controlled the fate in that game.

YlJacket

Helluva Engineer
We lost this game against an arguably similar program on a horsemanure shot with no time on the clock. It sucks - full stop - but wasn't like we got blown out or were not competitive.

For the positive - and the thing I was pissed about with UGA - our defense was back in shape. We gave up 62 points so I have to give credit for that. The zone returned and Banks was a major factor on D even though he only got credit for one block. We could have been better if we realized ARK wasn't going to shoot in the paint and not helped off of shooters like we did. Cost us multiple points and like several offensive issues likely the game.

On offense you would love to score more than 61 points and especially, particularly, without a doubt have less than 23 turnovers. For all our praise for Revino, Banks really doesn't understand how to post and none/nada/less than one of our guys have any freaking idea how to feed the post. ARK played midget defense and fronted, poked, pushed Banks all night and we had few ideas how to work off the advantage we had. And yes I know he had 20 points. We lost over 20 points in TOs trying to get the ball to him.

We have to get more out of Bubba. Full stop, no way around it, gotta get him back to being a scorer not a pseudo PG. He was better in the zone tonight and didn't seem (at first glance) the defensive issue he was vs UGA. But 10 points, 6 TOs and 2 assists in major minutes ain't gonna cut it. Pretty much the same with Moses.

DeVoe was an interesting enigma tonight. 12 points, 1 TO and 6 rebounds is certainly a good stat line but you had a feeling he needed to do more.

Tonight was a dress rehearsal for playing VT and a couple of other small ball teams in the ACC. Watching VT run sets against Mich State prior to our game highlighted how bad we are at ball movement and passing. I hope we take some time and watch some of their tape to pick up ideas on how to run an offense.

Deleted member 2897

Arkansas is a trash team. I’m sick of excuses. The last 5 years of football basketball combo have been disastrous.

You do realize they’re not a trash team right? KenPom has them at #22 and 6-0.

Also, it’s kind of a weird comment. 11 football wins on 2014. 9 wins in 2016. It’s not been all bad.

GTbball2016

Helluva Engineer
You do realize they’re not a trash team right? KenPom has them at #22 and 6-0.

Also, it’s kind of a weird comment. 11 football wins on 2014. 9 wins in 2016. It’s not been all bad.

I thought they looked mediocre. UGa was more impressive, and they are a bubble team at best.

Deleted member 2897

We lost this game against an arguably similar program on a horsemanure shot with no time on the clock. It sucks - full stop - but wasn't like we got blown out or were not competitive.

For the positive - and the thing I was pissed about with UGA - our defense was back in shape. We gave up 62 points so I have to give credit for that. The zone returned and Banks was a major factor on D even though he only got credit for one block. We could have been better if we realized ARK wasn't going to shoot in the paint and not helped off of shooters like we did. Cost us multiple points and like several offensive issues likely the game.

On offense you would love to score more than 61 points and especially, particularly, without a doubt have less than 23 turnovers. For all our praise for Revino, Banks really doesn't understand how to post and none/nada/less than one of our guys have any freaking idea how to feed the post. ARK played midget defense and fronted, poked, pushed Banks all night and we had few ideas how to work off the advantage we had. And yes I know he had 20 points. We lost over 20 points in TOs trying to get the ball to him.

We have to get more out of Bubba. Full stop, no way around it, gotta get him back to being a scorer not a pseudo PG. He was better in the zone tonight and didn't seem (at first glance) the defensive issue he was vs UGA. But 10 points, 6 TOs and 2 assists in major minutes ain't gonna cut it. Pretty much the same with Moses.

DeVoe was an interesting enigma tonight. 12 points, 1 TO and 6 rebounds is certainly a good stat line but you had a feeling he needed to do more.

Tonight was a dress rehearsal for playing VT and a couple of other small ball teams in the ACC. Watching VT run sets against Mich State prior to our game highlighted how bad we are at ball movement and passing. I hope we take some time and watch some of their tape to pick up ideas on how to run an offense.

Well hopefully we won’t be down 40% of our starters in those games.