Arkansas

slugboy

Staff member
I’m not sure why we were having such a tough time from outside. We were 18% from behind the arc, while Arkansas was 30%. We were 2-11, and Bubba Parham hit both of them. We attempted half as many 3’s as Arkansas. Maybe Devoe playing point takes away from his shooting.

I would have expected more scoring under the basket with our height advantage. We did OK there, but not as well as I would have hoped.

The refs weren’t our friends, or very good either. But, once we got into overtime we had plenty of opportunities to put the game away if we’d just scored a little bit. It really looked like we could score on almost every possession in OT, and we only scored in one.

Offense looked to me like there were sparks of an offensive style that never quite caught on fire. Our scoring came more from individual play than team play (to me)—and by that I mean that I didn’t see too much passing to pull Arkansas’s defense out of shape to give someone an easy shot. There were a couple of nice passes between two players, but they were only a whisker different than the passes that turned into turnovers.

Some nice steals, though.

After trailing for almost all of the game, we had the opportunity to take control and run away in OT, and we just didn’t do it. It shouldn’t have gotten into that position, though.

Oh, the overtime—
e9229302e6350f717b7d64920b5cc0ae.jpg

from @bubbaprog: this was... something

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Last edited:

GTbball2016

Helluva Engineer
I mean, no Usher and no Alvarado and they had to hit a prayer that actually ended up being a poor shot, but it ricocheted into the basket. That’s pretty much Georgia Tech sports all wrapped up with a bow on it.

We knew Usher wouldn’t be eligible though. It’s hard to really complain about the team being too short-handed.

Deleted member 2897

I’m not sure why we were having such a tough time from outside. We were 18% from behind the arc, while Arkansas was 30%. We were 2-11, and Bubba Parham hit both of them. We attempted half as many 3’s as Arkansas. Maybe Devoe playing point takes away from his shooting.

I would have expected more scoring under the basket with our height advantage. We did OK there, but not as well as I would have hoped.

The refs weren’t our friends, or very good either. But, once we got into overtime we had plenty of opportunities to put the game away if we’d just scored a little bit. It really looked like we could score on almost every possession in OT, and we only scored in one.

Offense looked to me like there were sparks of an offensive style that never quite caught on fire. Our scoring came more from individual play than team play (to me)—and by that I mean that I didn’t see too much passing to pull Arkansas’s defense out of shape to give someone an easy shot. There were a couple of nice passes between two players, but they were only a whisker different than the passes that turned into turnovers.

Some nice steals, though.

After trailing for almost all of the game, we had the opportunity to take control and run away in OT, and we just didn’t do it. It shouldn’t have gotten into that position, though.

Oh, the overtime—
e9229302e6350f717b7d64920b5cc0ae.jpg

from @bubbaprog: this was... something

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

LOL, we were 0-4 with 3 turnovers until Banks hit a shot. 7 possessions without a single point until 20 seconds left LOL.

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
I assume Usher is a starter for us, so we played without two starters and finished without another. We are not good enough to play shorthanded.

The bad: We need to value each possession. Parham and Cole turned the ball over a bunch tonight. I counted 20+ turnovers.
More bad: We still have trouble making shots. 18% from three??? Late in the game we missed three consecutive FTs. Any one of those and we win.

The good: We will certainly be a better team with Jose and Usher in the lineup. If I understand, Usher will miss four more games. When will Jose be able to play again at full strength? It would be nice for us to win two of the next four. Cuse and UK will be tough, so beating Bethune and Nebraska is essential.
The really good: Arkansas got only 2 offensive rebounds.

Summary: We should have won this game. I hope it's not the flaw that keeps us from the postseason.

We are 2-2 versus the 20th toughest schedule in Div 1. It does not get better.

Fatmike91

Helluva Engineer
I really enjoyed this basketball game. Anyone that says Arkansas sucks doesn't know the game. Their ball pressure and defense were terrific.

Our defense bothered them in the first half, and completely shut them down at the end of the game. They scored 5 points on the ridiculous technical foul sequence, and the banked three at the buzzer in OT. Other than that, they didn't score for 5 minutes to end regulation or in over time (so 10 straight minutes). That's crazy good defense by our crew.

I remain positive about the team I'm seeing. Devoe has the skills and mindset to be an absolute stud. I think Jose return will take a lot of pressure off Devoe.

On to the next, let's get a few W's under our belt and then go beat Kentucky.

/

jbix80

Ramblin' Wreck
I assume Usher is a starter for us, so we played without two starters and finished without another. We are not good enough to play shorthanded.

The bad: We need to value each possession. Parham and Cole turned the ball over a bunch tonight. I counted 20+ turnovers.
More bad: We still have trouble making shots. 18% from three??? Late in the game we missed three consecutive FTs. Any one of those and we win.

The good: We will certainly be a better team with Jose and Usher in the lineup. If I understand, Usher will miss four more games. When will Jose be able to play again at full strength? It would be nice for us to win two of the next four. Cuse and UK will be tough, so beating Bethune and Nebraska is essential.
The really good: Arkansas got only 2 offensive rebounds.

Summary: We should have won this game. I hope it's not the flaw that keeps us from the postseason.

We are 2-2 versus the 20th toughest schedule in Div 1. It does not get better.
Serious question here... whose minutes will Usher get? Moses? Khalid? Asanti? Or do you think it will just be more of a rotation with another player in the mix?

lauraee

Helluva Engineer
Also, Arky had 6 players on the court before that last play. Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't that an automatic technical?
That's what I wanted to know! Also how close was ark to over & back b4 their last shot? Still 23 to? It was like an effing bakery.
Decent noise at the game. Students were great. Watched in person with my brother & nephew. Nephew after the game..that was the most depressing game ever. Me...that's the life of a tech fan.:cry:
Final 4s & acc championships so long ago..

YlJacket

Helluva Engineer
Serious question here... whose minutes will Usher get? Moses? Khalid? Asanti? Or do you think it will just be more of a rotation with another player in the mix?

Extend your thought process to Moses too. None of those guys are really threats on the offensive end. I am assuming Usher will mimic their defense and bring a slasher we don't have. We can go small or keep Moses and go big. Either way I am hoping for an upgrade.

lauraee

Helluva Engineer
Evan brought the grit.

We had no one out there to initiate the offense...or whatever the offense was supposed to be.

We ran multiple pick and rolls but with them hedging the screens and taking the roll man we should have backside cutted them apart. STOP STANDING ON THE PERIMETER AND CUT!

Our big men need to work on their hands, looked like Alex Len out there (Not a good thing, sorry Trae Young's assist totals).

Lots of bad passes from our guards and wings. We had to put Moore and Price in situation where they are not comfortable and it showed. Ball fakes will work wonders but it will take the young guards some time...

Devoe and Bubba were the only ones who could drive but Mike just couldnt get the 7 footer to fall consistently tonight.

Arkansas is not a good team, Joe is solid and Jones is respectable....but that's about. Also, running around the court and not calling bank...#PartyFoul. Should have won tonight, TV Teddy or not, we controlled the fate in that game.
Along with the abysmal turnovers, we had what 4 assists for the game?Offense was sooo stagnant, what were we running or trying to do?