Arizona HC Search and Pastner Implications

Techster

Helluva Engineer
It's not just a GT thing, as we're seeing with Arizona, but always amuses me when a coach is fired/leaves, fans automatically pull out every ex-player that's currently coaching as a candidate regardless of qualification. Happens in every sport.

Last edited:

Novajacket

Jolly Good Fellow
Mark did not do a great job in Charlotte. He would not be on my list of coaching candidates.
Not that I am saying he should be HC at GT, but he was let go in the middle of the rebuild. UNCC admin had no patience. I think he could be a good assistant, though not sure he is interested.

SteamWhistle

Helluva Engineer
Not currently.

If GT is in the market for a new HC for basketball in the next few years (which i'm hoping the program is succeeding to a point that this is not the case), there is not a GT alum I would consider as a possible HC at GT.
I agree it was a troll job I used to want Price back before Pastner was hired and people on the board hated me for it.

MidtownJacket

Staff member
Some of the Az fans are freaking out that this could be a hint

As am I. Would be happy for him as a person if this is what he wanted, but man would it be a bummer for the program. We are finally playing at the level we should be, and I am a big fan of his scheme on D. There are elements of the offense I have found annoying, but his willingness to change it up and find what worked over the last two and a half seasons has been promising.

Also think that if he goes, we lose some of the guys thinking about coming back.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
I agree it was a troll job I used to want Price back before Pastner was hired and people on the board hated me for it.

Haha, I don't thinks folks hate you .... but maybe don't take too long crossing the street if you know what's good for ya. :cool:

Techster

Helluva Engineer
Arizona may still end up with Lloyd, but so far the search kinda resembles our last coaching search. Clear favorite going into the search (Bryce Drew), then multiple candidates start appearing (Capel, Larrannaga), then it became a free for all with coaches left and right being attached to our opening. Ended with Pastner coming out of left field after a few of us literally said "ANYONE but Pastner"...

...which gives me with an eerie feeling that Arizona, after supposedly having Lloyd in the bag like we thought Drew was, has started to have other coaches appearing in the search, and now will end up with Pastner (except Pastner to Arizona won't be out of left field) even though Arizona fans are saying similarly saying "ANYONE but Pastner".

Would make me feel a LOT better if that Pastner contract extension announcement starts hitting the Twitterverse...

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer
Arizona may still end up with Lloyd, but so far the search kinda resembles our last coaching search. Clear favorite going into the search (Bryce Drew), then multiple candidates start appearing (Capel, Larrannaga), then it became a free for all with coaches left and right being attached to our opening. Ended with Pastner coming out of left field after a few of us literally said "ANYONE but Pastner"...

Drew wasn't the clear favorite going into the search though.

MidtownJacket

Staff member
There would be a chance that our recruits, namely Coleman and Kelly, may ask to be released from their NLIs. Happens quite often when a coach leaves or gets fired.
Would think this is almost guaranteed given the staff turnover that would probably happen if he goes.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
Who knows what is going on behind the scenes, but Stansbury should know. And if AZ is cooing his bird, then he needs to step up and close the door to the coop. It is not like GT is a passive bystander here.

Yup, Pastner has leverage here. Nothing wrong with him getting as much as he can from this situation.

Talk about fortuitous timing for Pastner. If Arizona opening happens last year, most of us and maybe even Stansbury are probably petitioning Arizona to take him. Pastner and GT rebounds after losing to Mercer and GA State, wins the ACC, and makes the NCAAT...then Arizona has an opening when Pastner's stock is as high as its been since his first few years at Memphis.

okiemon

Helluva Engineer
There would be a chance that our recruits, namely Coleman and Kelly, may ask to be released from their NLIs. Happens quite often when a coach leaves or gets fired.
That’s what I think as well. Not only would some of the seniors not return, but we could lose a great recruiting class. We could basically go back to ground zero unless we make a home run hire to replace CJP, and do it fast.

Peacone36

Helluva Engineer
My opinion, any Coach worth his salt that wants to hit the ground running, keeps Swartz.

that said, CJS has been with CJP a long time and he strikes me as a loyal guy. Keep Swartz and you improve your chances to keep all three recruits