Arizona HC Search and Pastner Implications

MidtownJacket

Staff member
This is the biggest thing to me. If it's just a coaching change and we land a decent hire it won't be too bad. But if the change comes with an exodus (decommits, transfers, staying in the draft etc) then we are going to be severely behind the 8 ball both for recruiting and hitting the transfer market to deal with it.
yep, and just after we finally tasted relevancy on the recruiting trail for the first time since what? Maybe 2006?

Techster

Helluva Engineer
Obviously there have been coaching changes in the ACC since this was published, but this fact still stands: Pastner is one of the lowest paid coaches in the ACC.

His last two years he has finished in the top half of the ACC, including finishing 4th this season with an ACCT win. You can make the argument that he deserves to be payed more than Capel, but I doubt we pay him that much. Somewhere in the 2.5-2.9 million range seems to be what he is worth if you take into consideration the last 2 seasons, and what's set up for this team in the next 1-3 years.

If there's an auto rollover feature in his contract, the entire GT administration needs to be fired. Obviously, that's a joke, but it's GT...so be wary...

EDIT:

Pastner's numbers the next 2 years barring a new contract:

Pastner is scheduled to earn $2.2 million in 2021-22 and $2.4 million in 2022-23

4shotB

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
Obviously there have been coaching changes in the ACC since this was published, but this fact still stands: Pastner is one of the lowest paid coaches in the ACC.
I wonder if CJP or his agent are aware of that fact?:whistle:

Deleted member 2897

I wonder if CJP or his agent are aware of that fact?:whistle:

Yea I was serious about the $2.7m, but not the 7 year extension. I think he’s worth at least 35th in the country - thats basically where we finished in the rankings.

YlJacket

Helluva Engineer
The pay is only part of the equation. $2.7 range is in the ballpark for ACC coaches. The issue is buyout if things don't go well. That is at least as important as the salary and really more important. Keep that reasonable. Devil is in the rollover details. :)

Techster

Helluva Engineer
You gotta wonder if there's 3 way chicken going on:

Arizona: LLoyd wants X amount, Arizona says they can pay Pastner/Stoudamire/whoever Y. Lloyd doesn't budge.

Pastner: Wants X, uses Arizona as leverage for X, and GT wants to pay Y. Pastner doesn't budge.

GT: Wants to pay Y, and is willing to wait until the Arizona dust settles so Pastner loses some leverage. GT doesn't budge.

All the while, GT fans are increasing the page count on this thread....

MidtownJacket

Staff member
Maybe 2006? Really?
Ok so 2006 was more tongue in cheek, but it feels like we didn't have this kind of national exposure or good will since the middle of CPH's time with us. Sure this was some excitement with the new hire of CBG and the start of CJP but I do feel like CBG never really got his infrastructure in place for recruiting and CJP is just getting there. Once we went to the final four and started losing assistants from CPH it felt like a slow slog down into mediocrity with an occasional big get (brought on by herculean effort).

I am saying now, for the first time in a while, I get the sense of knowing who we are as a program and what we look for / offer players. Beyond the "Motion Offense" of CPH's ending tenure :) (again kinda TiC here)

MidtownJacket

Staff member
You gotta wonder if there's 3 way chicken going on:

Arizona: LLoyd wants X amount, Arizona says they can pay Pastner/Stoudamire/whoever Y. Lloyd doesn't budge.

Pastner: Wants X, uses Arizona as leverage for X, and GT wants to pay Y. Pastner doesn't budge.

GT: Wants to pay Y, and is willing to wait until the Arizona dust settles so Pastner loses some leverage. GT doesn't budge.

All the while, GT fans are increasing the page count on this thread....
haha this seems highly likely. I just hope we don't get stuck being the one standing when the music stops and the chairs have all been taken. Or wait, is that duck duck goose or maybe the Hokey Pokey.

dtm1997

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Ok so 2006 was more tongue in cheek, but it feels like we didn't have this kind of national exposure or good will since the middle of CPH's time with us. Sure this was some excitement with the new hire of CBG and the start of CJP but I do feel like CBG never really got his infrastructure in place for recruiting and CJP is just getting there. Once we went to the final four and started losing assistants from CPH it felt like a slow slog down into mediocrity with an occasional big get (brought on by herculean effort).

I am saying now, for the first time in a while, I get the sense of knowing who we are as a program and what we look for / offer players. Beyond the "Motion Offense" of CPH's ending tenure :) (again kinda TiC here)
Underachieving perhaps, but the Derrick Favors year was loaded. All of the recruiting there was after 2006. TIC or not, 2006 was off the mark.

MountainBuzzMan

Helluva Engineer
haha this seems highly likely. I just hope we don't get stuck being the one standing when the music stops and the chairs have all been taken. Or wait, is that duck duck goose or maybe the Hokey Pokey.
This is Georgia Tech. This is what we do. If there is a way for us to hose ourselves, we will feverishly look for the best possible way to hose ourselves.

MidtownJacket

Staff member
Underachieving perhaps, but the Derrick Favors year was loaded. All of the recruiting there was after 2006. TIC or not, 2006 was off the mark.
james corden oops GIF by Recording Academy / GRAMMYs

Point remains, despite the particulars, that we are slowly building momentum and finally got out from underneath the impact of Ron Bell. Seems like it would be extremely short sighted to have rode through that noise with CJP and then not move to lock him up for at least a middle, to top third Salary amount in the ACC.

We can't keep clamoring for more success then fail to fund these hires to the level of our ambition.

Deleted member 2897

james corden oops GIF by Recording Academy / GRAMMYs

Point remains, despite the particulars, that we are slowly building momentum and finally got out from underneath the impact of Ron Bell. Seems like it would be extremely short sighted to have rode through that noise with CJP and then not move to lock him up for at least a middle, to top third Salary amount in the ACC.

We can't keep clamoring for more success then fail to fund these hires to the level of our ambition.

Yea, I mean we just got big incentive money from Adidas. Why wouldn't we use that to renew some contracts at more money for the coaching staff. And generally speaking, after a couple years like this, I'm sure they can dig up whatever else money they need to make reasonable bumps to pay.

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer
I doubt money is really going to be the deciding factor in this case. IMO if Pastner really wants the Zona job bad enough to overlook the incoming storm then a bit more money probably isn't going to dissuade him.

Jacket Forever

Jolly Good Fellow
The longer we go without hearing about a new coach not-named Pastner at Arizona or Pastner not taking his name out of consideration for the Arizona job the more steamed I'm getting. Let's face it, no one is irreplaceable, not even Joshua Pastner, but I have grown to really like him, his style and the job he's done at Georgia Tech. Consecutive 5th and 4th place ACC finishes is nothing to dismiss or sneeze st. In many ways given the historical landscape at Tech, his performance has been almost remarkable.

I don't want to lose Pastner. I am just not ready to endure all the collateral damage such as the mass exodus of players that would occur with his departure. I AM NOT READY TO START OVER. I'm just not ...and I doubt if I'm alone.

I couldn't necessarily blame CJP if he took his dream job. I probably would seriously consider taking my dream job too. I would blame TStan though...if he let it happen. CJP has been good for us, but Georgia Tech has been good to Josh Pastner too, probably better than most institutions would have done in that Ron Bell situation. Pastner has some leverage to use in this situation but do does TStan. I hope he's up to the job and we come out of this situation smelling like a rose and not once again wondering why s*** always happens to us and why we at Georgia Tech can never have nice things.

RyanS12

Helluva Engineer
I’m a betting man and if I colts wager a substantial amount I’d lose up on Damon Stoudamire to be named coach. I’d lay some on Lloyd just to hedge in case. Josh isn’t getting the job. Not this go round at least.
The AZ guys want a “big” wildcat name and that’s Damon. Now, had we went on an Elite 8 type run this March and made the tournament last year despite all the Ron Bell stuff then I’d say he would be an absolute no brainer for them. I just don’t think this is the right time for JP at Zona

I’m sure after typing all that, Josh will be named Arizona coach soon. Lol

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer
. Pastner has some leverage to use in this situation but do does TStan.

What leverage does TStan have?

The idea that us sticking by Pastner with the Ron Bell stuff gives us any leverage doesn't make any sense. For starters, it's a settled thing. We aren't going to go back and fire him for it now. On top of that we almost certainly couldn't have fired him for cause then no matter what people here wanted to happen. It's like arguing we have leverage because we took him from Memphis instead of him being fired. It's at best a good sentiment, not leverage.

Hopefully what TStan is doing now is trying to secure Pastner with a new contract and on top of that putting out feelers to gauge interest from possible replacements so we aren't starting the process any later if it does come to be.