Film Room apcarrick's Georgia Tech Offense Videos Cut by Play

Big Philly

Jolly Good Fellow
Took a little longer than I hoped, but here you go:

The "Base" formation is called "Spread".

The quick pass to the WR is a "Smoke" route that can be checked to from a run play if the DB is playing off.

The "Tight" formation is called "Double Flex". "Flex" refers to that type of WR alignment. Spread Right Flex would have the right WR Spread and the left WR flexed.

The "Flex Right" formation at 1:57 is some type of "Over" formation with Tackle eligible. Both WRs on the same side will be called "Over" something.

There are two main classes of Counter Option that you should distinguish, one for the B-Back and one for the A-Back. Both pull the Guard.

Naming the passes is harder since there is more variation. I put the pass at 2:47 in the "Mesh" class; the two A-backs cross like the Mesh play in the Air Raid offense.

The primary passing concept we used last year is "Choice" from the Run and Shoot. We had a lot of window dressing with different formations and different looks where the goal was to get 1-on-1 coverage with one of our stud WRs. That guy runs (something really, really close to) the Choice route that will always get him open at 12+ yards, usually on a comeback route since the DB doesn't want to get beat in 1-on-1 coverage. A new way to present it was with the Counter Option look. See: The ~15 yd TD pass in the Virginia Game. I think we ran it in this game too. To combine this with the last one, we use routes with options, so look for the passing concept we used, not the specific route. We don't call a lot of comeback routes, we call a lot of option routes where the correct decision is to run the comeback because DBs cover the vertical routes without safety help.

If we run a pass off of the Inside Veer look then the two playside receivers will be running some routes that look like whatever the blocking scheme was supposed to be. Veer Pass is a reasonable name.

The pass at 7:25 is just straight up "Switch" from the Run and Shoot.

The "Flex Right" at 9:37 is again some type of Over formation. It might be called Over Right Green, but don't get caught up on the specific color, I think that might be subject to change.

Not sure what we should call the TD pass from Byerly since CPJ said he ran the wrong route, but made a great catch.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
The "Base" formation is called "Spread".

The quick pass to the WR is a "Smoke" route that can be checked to from a run play if the DB is playing off.

The "Tight" formation is called "Double Flex". "Flex" refers to that type of WR alignment. Spread Right Flex would have the right WR Spread and the left WR flexed.

The "Flex Right" formation at 1:57 is some type of "Over" formation with Tackle eligible. Both WRs on the same side will be called "Over" something.

There are two main classes of Counter Option that you should distinguish, one for the B-Back and one for the A-Back. Both pull the Guard.

Naming the passes is harder since there is more variation. I put the pass at 2:47 in the "Mesh" class; the two A-backs cross like the Mesh play in the Air Raid offense.

The primary passing concept we used last year is "Choice" from the Run and Shoot. We had a lot of window dressing with different formations and different looks where the goal was to get 1-on-1 coverage with one of our stud WRs. That guy runs (something really, really close to) the Choice route that will always get him open at 12+ yards, usually on a comeback route since the DB doesn't want to get beat in 1-on-1 coverage. A new way to present it was with the Counter Option look. See: The ~15 yd TD pass in the Virginia Game. I think we ran it in this game too. To combine this with the last one, we use routes with options, so look for the passing concept we used, not the specific route. We don't call a lot of comeback routes, we call a lot of option routes where the correct decision is to run the comeback because DBs cover the vertical routes without safety help.

If we run a pass off of the Inside Veer look then the two playside receivers will be running some routes that look like whatever the blocking scheme was supposed to be. Veer Pass is a reasonable name.

The pass at 7:25 is just straight up "Switch" from the Run and Shoot.

The "Flex Right" at 9:37 is again some type of Over formation. It might be called Over Right Green, but don't get caught up on the specific color, I think that might be subject to change.

Not sure what we should call the TD pass from Byerly since CPJ said he ran the wrong route, but made a great catch.

Good (but I have a couple notes/additions).

There's no "tackle eligible" in the college game (see your note on the formation at 1:57). We had an A-Back (Andrews) lined-up as a Tight-End on that play. The flexbone playbook I linked earlier identifies that formation as Rex Roy (Lex Lou if to the left). I'm guessing that's combing Right or Left with your "flex" notation.

That playbook also calls your "veer pass," the pass off Inside Veer motion, a Dump. For example, I think that this first play against UNC is such a play:

I think this play would be awesome to Snoddy.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
Took a little longer than I hoped, but here you go:

Thanks for doing this!!!

As Big Philly says, there are two types of counter option plays. Fwiw, as I understand it, we call the two plays starting at 2:03 on your video, which have pitches to the B-Back, "Freeze Option."

Enuratique

Jolly Good Fellow
I've tried to get onto that site before but never been able to get an account (right now it says "account limit reached, no new accounts"). I'd love to see that video on YouTube if you can get it on there. Once it's on there, it should be pretty easy for someone to sync up the GT radio call of the Orange Bowl so we can get Brandon and Roddy on that vid. Again, here I am trying to create work for others :)
I was mistaken, I just watched it on WatchESPN. Here is the direct link to it http://espn.go.com/watchespn/player/_/id/2280560/size/condensed/

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
If you watxh that MSU cut up, sart at 6:13, there's like 8 straight Zone Dive's run, alternating left and right, and we just gash em. then we score on a Midline QB keep. A thing of beauty.

I'm pretty sure those were mostly belly, though the second play was a trap.

apcarrick

Georgia Tech Fan
If you watxh that MSU cut up, sart at 6:13, there's like 8 straight Zone Dive's run, alternating left and right, and we just gash em. then we score on a Midline QB keep. A thing of beauty.
So as I've been doing more of these I've gotten better at recognizing different intricacies (ie: belly vs zone dive) from people's comments.

CPJ uses a very simple if/then methodology to call plays, you can use google to find it if you're interested. When the play side linebacker scrapes outside to stop ISV they'll call zone dive to punish him

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
So as I've been doing more of these I've gotten better at recognizing different intricacies (ie: belly vs zone dive) from people's comments.

CPJ uses a very simple if/then methodology to call plays, you can use google to find it if you're interested. When the play side linebacker scrapes outside to stop ISV they'll call zone dive to punish him
This may sound like a stupid question but does the B-back just follow the blocking or does the play call indicate where the hole should be? When our B-backs bounce the play outside it sometimes looks like they adjusted to what happened on the line and other times it looks like the play was called that way. Does this make sense?

apcarrick

Georgia Tech Fan
This may sound like a stupid question but does the B-back just follow the blocking or does the play call indicate where the hole should be? When our B-backs bounce the play outside it sometimes looks like they adjusted to what happened on the line and other times it looks like the play was called that way. Does this make sense?
That's where the "zone" part come in. All the OL/A back will block straight ahead. The backs job is to find the crease

AE 87

Helluva Engineer

That's where the "zone" part come in. All the OL/A back will block straight ahead. The backs job is to find the crease

Yep. And, iiuc, the second part of the answer is that on some plays, like the Belly (or the trap or the Inside Veer or Midline), the B-Back's trajectory is part of the play call and blocked accordingly. So, the blocking isn't zone blocking but blocking for that particular play.

Of course, the ball carrier can always adjust the trajectory if the blocking isn't there.

poodleface

Jolly Good Fellow
Great stuff... seeing all the plays one after the other exposes the difficulty in defending the option plays (as was previously mentioned).

I used to play a lot of poker, and one of the things that serves you well is always making the same gestures to bet, always taking the same amount of time to make your decisions, being consistent with your body language. At the same time, you make the occasional "bad" bluff that results in your hand being exposed to set up an expectation that can pay off greater in a future hand (particularly in no limit hold 'em). The poker player in me loves watching the flexbone.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
Yep. And, iiuc, the second part of the answer is that on some plays, like the Belly (or the trap or the Inside Veer or Midline), the B-Back's trajectory is part of the play call and blocked accordingly. So, the blocking isn't zone blocking but blocking for that particular play.

Of course, the ball carrier can always adjust the trajectory if the blocking isn't there.
Perhaps I am over complicating it but some zone dives (from the video) are clearly that, zone blocking. They block ahead or try to get the best position on the defender (wherever he is) and B-back picks the hole accordingly. But on a few plays it looks like the zone blocking has a "bias" to it in that the entire line is going to block down or create a play side or seal the edge. The B-back looks like from the hand off he is looking for that particular lane. If this is much about nothing I will no longer worry my pretty little head over it. :)

Ash

Ramblin' Wreck

There's no "tackle eligible" in the college game (see your note on the formation at 1:57). We had an A-Back (Andrews) lined-up as a Tight-End on that play. The flexbone playbook I linked earlier identifies that formation as Rex Roy (Lex Lou if to the left). I'm guessing that's combing Right or Left with your "flex" notation.

That playbook also calls your "veer pass," the pass off Inside Veer motion, a Dump. For example, I think that this first play against UNC is such a play:

I think this play would be awesome to Snoddy.

It looks like it would be devastating with any of our Abacks, but especially Snoddy.

Big Philly

Jolly Good Fellow

Perhaps our left tackle isn't actually allowed to catch a pass under the rules, but look again. Andrews is lined up on the right and is not an eligible receiver, he's covered by Smelter. It's one of our Over formations where all of our skill players aren't eligible receivers.

Big Philly

Jolly Good Fellow

Zone Dive targets the B-Gap, but in certain circumstances he has to cut underneath the Guard and run the A-gap.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
Perhaps our left tackle isn't actually allowed to catch a pass under the rules, but look again. Andrews is lined up on the right and is not an eligible receiver, he's covered by Smelter. It's one of our Over formations where all of our skill players aren't eligible receivers.

Sorry for the confusion. I agree. I misunderstood your post and was not clear in my response (I didn't say that Andrews was covered up anyway, which was my misunderstanding of you). It did not occur to me that you were suggesting the left tackle as eligible. Again, sorry.

apcarrick

Georgia Tech Fan
Interesting. In the playbook I linked earlier, the Dive with zone blocking targets the Agap out.
The B back will aim to the outside hip of the guard (b gap) just like ISV. The QB will reach the ball back further to allow the rb more time to read the blocks

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
The B back will aim to the outside hip of the guard (b gap) just like ISV. The QB will reach the ball back further to allow the rb more time to read the blocks

I was referring to the playbook I linked:

upload_2015-9-3_9-23-28.png

FB
Read block of 1st covered lineman from a zero out. Vs. 50 read block of PST.

Big Philly

Jolly Good Fellow
I was referring to the playbook I linked:

View attachment 1154

FB
Read block of 1st covered lineman from a zero out. Vs. 50 read block of PST.

Zone Dive resource from USNA O-Line Coach:
http://flexboneassociationacademy.c...ive-guide-to-zone-dive-part-one-introduction/
http://flexboneassociationacademy.c...de-to-zone-dive-part-two-blocking-techniques/

Run at PSG's inside foot at snap, read the same as Inside Veer. Most common scenario is 1-tech takes the A-gap, B-Back runs through B, but it's even possible to cut all the way back to the *back-side* A-Gap against a true Nose Tackle. Call Zone Dive against LBs that scrape against the Inside Veer.