Any news?? (stage 3: press coverage)

GTLorenzo

Helluva Engineer
What incentive is there for CGC to accept such an "offer". Looking at the totals, he will be owed this years salary plus $10.5 million if he if fired before Jan 1. The offer you propose is $7.2 million plus $600k for a total of $7.8 million. Yes, that would be easier on GT, but what would be in it for CGC? If he just waits until Jan 1, he will gain $2.7 million additional dollars.

Have to agree here. Nothing in it for him to take less $s. And clearly he is an elite negotiator. I'm not going to throw Todd or the GTAA under the bus or anything, but someone got taken in that contract negotiation. ;) :rolleyes: :LOL:

WreckinGT

Helluva Engineer
What incentive is there for CGC to accept such an "offer". Looking at the totals, he will be owed this years salary plus $10.5 million if he if fired before Jan 1. The offer you propose is $7.2 million plus $600k for a total of $7.8 million. Yes, that would be easier on GT, but what would be in it for CGC? If he just waits until Jan 1, he will gain $2.7 million additional dollars.
The buyout for the remaining three years would be reduced to 2.4 million per year on Jan 1st. So he would get 7.2 million. I think Red is saying offer him 7.8 million to avoid waiting. He could refuse obviously but he would just lose money and hurt our program. Personally, I don't like the idea of waiting until the end of the season. It gives him too much leverage to negotiate that higher.

GTLorenzo

Helluva Engineer
The buyout for the remaining three years would be reduced to 2.4 million per year on Jan 1st. So he would get 7.2 million. I think Red is saying offer him 7.8 million to avoid waiting. He could refuse obviously but he would just lose money and hurt our program. Personally, I don't like the idea of waiting until the end of the season. It gives him too much leverage to negotiate that higher.

Good point. Assume they'd have this pre-negotiated because it would stink to have to wait until January 1 to officially fire him unless we say after the UGa game that he "will" be relieved of his duties on January 1 and then we can go on with the search for a new coach publicly.

tmhunter52

Helluva Engineer
I think the only hold up with his immediate dismissal is a commitment on the required funds or an agreeable structuring of the amount and timing of the severance compensation. I would bet that Goeff is not on the plane to Pitt. Just a hunch - not based on inside info (which I do not have). His toxicity is increasing by the hour.
But, Collins has finally made Tech relevant again in the sports and local media! They report on how far we have fallen and how other coaches take their feet off the gas in empathy. We are on watch lists for an imminent firing! We better have a splashy new replacement after Collins is fired or that media buzz (no pun intended) will evaporate with his departure. He promised to make us relevant again. Had we only known he would rely upon his ineptitude to make that happen. The lingering question will be whether we can shake the “brand” and tarnished reputation he will have left us…

RonJohn

Helluva Engineer
You are correct, I was thinking about that backwards.

FlatsLander

Ramblin' Wreck
So you are in favor of firing him on Jan 1st?
I'm in favor of him not being our coach anymore, whatever it takes. I just doubt it will happen during the season since we've just watched 4 FBS games in a row where we scored 1 TD and 1 FG total while giving up 40+.

laoh

Ramblin' Wreck
Collins isn't going anywhere until the season ends. He would never agree to restructuring the contract that would net him less money. Not sure if his agent is involved or gets a cut of the annual take but if so, then that's not in their interest either.

LawTalkin Jacket

Jolly Good Fellow
I guess there is a school of thought that we expected to be 1-2 after Ole Miss and we are. So, CGC has met expectations thus far. if he were to beat UCF, then you would have to let him coach against Dook, right? This school of thought didn't consider a 42-0 beat down of course. I think that should have got him fired, but maybe they had a plan that they wouldn't fire him until he was 1-4? or 2-5? and they are trying to stick with the plan? Maybe they even promised him they wouldn't fire him if he started 1-2 or 1-3 but would give him a chance to beat Dook?

WreckinGT

Helluva Engineer
Collins isn't going anywhere until the season ends. He would never agree to restructuring the contract that would net him less money. Not sure if his agent is involved or gets a cut of the annual take but if so, then that's not in their interest either.
Why wouldn't he? Lets say we lose to UCF and Pitt and we go to him and say, look we would like to end this early. It's obviously not going well. We can end it early and we will give you 1.5 million on top of the 7.2 million we will owe you on Jan 1st. You won't have to endure the media and fan hostility anymore. Or you can wait until the end of the year, get 1.5 million less, and you have to keep doing those weekly press conferences where you will have to keep explaining why your team is so bad. Why wouldn't he consider it? It would save us 1.8 million dollars, and let him get out of an awful situation and end up with more money. It would benefit everyone.

Lotta Booze

Ramblin' Wreck
Why wouldn't he? Lets say we lose to UCF and Pitt and we go to him and say, look we would like to end this early. It's obviously not going well. We can end it early and we will give you 1.5 million on top of the 7.2 million we will owe you on Jan 1st. You won't have to endure the media and fan hostility anymore. Or you can wait until the end of the year, get 1.5 million less, and you have to keep doing those weekly press conferences where you will have to keep explaining why your team is so bad. Why wouldn't he consider it? It would save us 1.8 million dollars, and let him get out of an awful situation and end up with more money. It would benefit everyone.
It's a gambit that might be worth a try and for over a million dollars in savings why not? But if I could take odds on this I'd bet the farm it will never happen.

Does anyone have an example of this happening successfully? And not just a restructuring of the payments but a negotiated reduction upon firing?

And who are we expecting to pull off this game of chicken? TStan? Is he the one we're hoping won't flinch?

And everything I've heard from Collins leads me to believe that somehow he still has faith and belief in his "demonstrated ability" to coach and is delusional enough to coach through it.

I'd love to be wrong though

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
Have to agree here. Nothing in it for him to take less $s. And clearly he is an elite negotiator. I'm not going to throw Todd or the GTAA under the bus or anything, but someone got taken in that contract negotiation. ;) :rolleyes: :LOL:
That is about the only thing about him that is "elite". The ability to wheedle money out of suckers. He's good, very good.

Dottie1145

Helluva Engineer
672C78F4-F3DC-46F8-A682-93689A9AB0B4.jpeg