Any news?? (stage 3: press coverage)

Gt2019

Helluva Engineer
It seems he has a good resume so far. It would surprise me if they hired someone with that little amount of experience. He should definitely be interviewed, though. Just my 2 cents.
BTW, who are "the money people at tech and who will host the most power in this coaching search" and what is your connection to what they are discussing?
Asking for a friend.:buzz::)
Money people at tech are the boosters, most famously Gregg Garrett, is the one trying to make everything happen quickly in terms of a buyout and firing of Collins. Gregg wanted to fire Collins at the end of last year but not everyone was on board. Zelnak and Garrett hold the most power in the coaching search currently, that’s because Stansbury won’t be an apart of this coaching search.

Gt2019

Helluva Engineer
It seems he has a good resume so far. It would surprise me if they hired someone with that little amount of experience. He should definitely be interviewed, though. Just my 2 cents.
BTW, who are "the money people at tech and who will hold the most power in this coaching search" and what is your connection to what they are discussing?
Asking for a friend.:buzz::)
I know some people in the higher ups at tech from meeting people throughout the years at games and having connections from being an Alumni of the school. I’ve met a handful of the higher up people and donors at away tech games, including a few at the ACC basketball championship game.

CEB

Helluva Engineer
The money people at tech and the people who will hold the most power in this coaching search have discussed McGee and his name keeps circling around within that group of people. There is a very good chance McGee would take the job if it was offered to him.
Preface: I know nothing about nothing and if you have connections, please please please keep brining the info! I am not shooting or even aiming in the general vicinity of the messenger here!

That said, I am sure he would take the job! Seems to me he is ready to be OC, not HC. Maybe these coordinator positions have a lot more responsibility than I am aware but this feels like we’re gearing up to dive right back into the same rabbit hole. Are we pushing all of our chips in on a recruiter who hasn’t called a play on game day?

Sheboygan

Helluva Engineer
Money people at tech are the boosters, most famously Gregg Garrett, is the one trying to make everything happen quickly in terms of a buyout and firing of Collins. Gregg wanted to fire Collins at the end of last year but not everyone was on board. Zelnak and Garrett hold the most power in the coaching search currently, that’s because Stansbury won’t be an apart of this coaching search.
Thank you. Please keep us posted. I would love to have a HC named soon, if possible,

Sheboygan

Helluva Engineer
Preface: I know nothing about nothing and if you have connections, please please please keep brining the info! I am not shooting or even aiming in the general vicinity of the messenger here!

That said, I am sure he would take the job! Seems to me he is ready to be OC, not HC. Maybe these coordinator positions have a lot more responsibility than I am aware but this feels like we’re gearing up to dive right back into the same rabbit hole. Are we pushing all of our chips in on a recruiter who hasn’t called a play on game day?
Kind of feeling the same as far as experience goes. HC in HS is not quite enough , IMO.

Gt2019

Helluva Engineer

Dell won a state championship as a HC in the state. McGee was 88-19 as a HS head coach, six region championships. He restored a Carber program in 2005 that had not had a winning season in the 9 years before that and had never finished a season with double digit wins in its program history. Was a 2 time State of Georgia coach of the year in 2007 and 2008. He was the interim coach at Georgia Southern and won their bowl game for them. He also has been an assistant coach before. The head coach side of things isn’t a totally new venture for him with being one at the HS level and being a assistant coach and handling duties that are similar to a HC while being in that AHC role while at uga.

Gt2019

Helluva Engineer
IMO the part about not being a coordinator or a HC before at the college level is a little overblown. Dabo, Sam Pittman, Urban Meyer, etc all lacked the HC and/or coordinator experience but still got HC jobs and have exceeded at a very high level.

Gt2019

Helluva Engineer
In 5 seasons while at UGA, McGee has produced four 1,000 yard or more running backs. In 2018 he was named rivals top recruiter in college football, he has signed 34 recruits that were tabbed a 4 star or better while at uga. While at southern in 2014-2015, he had his running backs group lead the nation in rushing yards per game. In 2015 at GSU, 4 of his backs had 600 or more rushing yards.

CEB

Helluva Engineer
Dell won a state championship as a HC in the state. McGee was 88-19 as a HS head coach, six region championships. He restored a Carber program in 2005 that had not had a winning season in the 9 years before that and had never finished a season with double digit wins in its program history. Was a 2 time State of Georgia coach of the year in 2007 and 2008. He was the interim coach at Georgia Southern and won their bowl game for them. He also has been an assistant coach before. The head coach side of things isn’t a totally new venture for him with being one at the HS level and being a assistant coach and handling duties that are similar to a HC while being in that AHC role while at uga.
Thank you for the additional info. Glad to hear there is HC experience and he sounds like a great guy. I have no idea where the heads of the decision makers are, but I have to believe we need some solid HC experience. At this point, we need to be certain that we have made a really solid hire, even if we concede taking some lumps for a little while longer.

Gt2019

Helluva Engineer
Thank you for the additional info. Glad to hear there is HC experience and he sounds like a great guy. I have no idea where the heads of the decision makers are, but I have to believe we need some solid HC experience. At this point, we need to be certain that we have made a really solid hire, even if we concede taking some lumps for a little while longer.
The problem is, Can tech afford a guy that has that HC experience at the P5 level? Everyone likes to point at Chadwell but the real question is, will he be able to recruit at tech? It’s been said that while at coastal, he’s taken guys regardless of grades/off the field issues, etc. McGee is a top of the line recruiter and a no nonsense guy. I know it’s risky but McGee could really pay off at a high level.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
Tech looked way better in those 3 games with GOL then it did earlier in the year with BL
And that is the point. You begin to get the team pointed in the right direction and everyone’s moral improves, fans and players included. It makes the search for a new coach a lot more positive rather than desperate.

Gt2019

Helluva Engineer
Here’s the vision with McGee:
You hire McGee and surround him with top coordinators that are paid at a high amount, over $1 million per year. You’ve seen that really really succeed for Dabo at Clemson early on, Urban Meyer and most recently and known, Sam Pittman. Pittman was the uga O line coach with no coordinator or HC experience, got surrounded with good coordinators at Arkansas and he has that program at a top 10 level. That’s what the dream and thought process with McGee is, you make up for his lack of HC/Coordinator experience and surrounded him with top of the line and good paying coordinators and then your following a recipe for success .

CEB

Helluva Engineer
The problem is, Can tech afford a guy that has that HC experience at the P5 level? Everyone likes to point at Chadwell but the real question is, will he be able to recruit at tech? It’s been said that while at coastal, he’s taken guys regardless of grades/off the field issues, etc. McGee is a top of the line recruiter and a no nonsense guy. I know it’s risky but McGee could really pay off at a high level.
Power 5? No... it doesn’t sound like it. G5 or FCS, yes. I am all for an up and coming guy, but we need to know he has a short enough learning curve that we are the ones reaping the benefit. No knock on him, but if we’re worried about FCS head coaches translating to P5, I think we have to be pretty skeptical about HS head coaches.
I don’t know who we get; I don’t have a clue and I don’t have a dog in the fight.... I just want someone to win here and ride it as long as we can

Gt2019

Helluva Engineer
Power 5? No... it doesn’t sound like it. G5 or FCS, yes. I am all for an up and coming guy, but we need to know he has a short enough learning curve that we are the ones reaping the benefit. No knock on him, but if we’re worried about FCS head coaches translating to P5, I think we have to be pretty skeptical about HS head coaches.
I don’t know who we get; I don’t have a clue and I don’t have a dog in the fight.... I just want someone to win here and ride it as long as we can
I think the knock on the FCS coaches and specifically Chadwell, is the recruiting side. Can those FCS guys tackle the academic challenges and the hill at tech? Who knows. The concern with a FCS guy is they can take about anyone they want without an issue, that’s not the case at the P5 level and especially Tech. McGee would recruit his *** off here and has those necessary connections to the state. He’s a no non sense type of guy unlike Collins. Chadwell has no ties to this state so that’s a bigger knock on him. We most likely need a guy who has ties to the state of GA in some way.

CEB

Helluva Engineer
I think the knock on the FCS coaches and specifically Chadwell, is the recruiting side. Can those FCS guys tackle the academic challenges and the hill at tech? Who knows. The concern with a FCS guy is they can take about anyone they want without an issue, that’s not the case at the P5 level and especially Tech. McGee would recruit his *** off here and has those necessary connections to the state. He’s a no non sense type of guy unlike Collins. Chadwell has no ties to this state so that’s a bigger knock on him. We most likely need a guy who has ties to the state of GA in some way.
I don’t know if I’m a chadwell guy or not, if those references are for my benefit. :) Right now I am skeptical and contrarian.
If he’s a diamond in the rough, I’d love to have him. Hopefully he is still interested in taking on the task after he gets an up close look at us on Nov 26th!

WreckinGT

Helluva Engineer
In 5 seasons while at UGA, McGee has produced four 1,000 yard or more running backs. In 2018 he was named rivals top recruiter in college football, he has signed 34 recruits that were tabbed a 4 star or better while at uga. While at southern in 2014-2015, he had his running backs group lead the nation in rushing yards per game. In 2015 at GSU, 4 of his backs had 600 or more rushing yards.
Not gonna lie, im a little dubious of stats and recruiting prowess while coaching at elite programs. See our current OL coach for an example. If it's him though, so be it. Ill support him.

Gt2019

Helluva Engineer
Not gonna lie, im a little dubious of stats and recruiting prowess while coaching at elite programs. See our current OL coach for an example. If it's him though, so be it. Ill support him.
The difference is, McGee has developed those guys, Key will uh um uh, yeah.