Any news?? (stage 3: press coverage)

LargeFO

Helluva Engineer
Honestly, I never got a good feel from him at all. While all of this is petty, I'll be petty and say that I don't like:

1. His lack of coaching ability as a head coach
2. His mannerisms at press conferences and on the field
3. The way he dresses
4. Talking down to alums who foot the bills
5. Weights on the sidelines
6. Not answering questions
7. Not acting like the adult in the room
8. The way he talks
9. Waffe House cup EVERYWHERE including on the sidelines of games
10. Lack of accepting blame for losses, what was going wrong, etc. until after TStan sat him down after last year
11. Loyalty to poorly performing coaches
12. Length of his contract

Now, could he or someone else say a ton of petty things they don't like about me? Absolutely! Just being honest.

I did like:

1. His marketing of the program and his ability to talk about what he planned to do.
2. His recruiting in that one year, but his best recruit is now gone
3. I think he truly cares about his players, but I think most coaches typically do. Probably more so than 25 or 30 years ago.
4. His energy

Just my $0.02.

I'd add...
13. Lying about size of CPJ OL's mutiple times
14. Kinda tied to 13...extreme, over the top lover of hyperbole
15. Total lack of fire and discipline from the sideline - we get personal fouls...butt pats. we get false starts...butt pats. I'm not saying you should grab a guy and push him around, but I've seen zero evidence of fire in 4 years.

GoldZ

Ramblin' Wreck
I've said it elsewhere...I'm simply not on the "Fire TStan" bandwagon. His job is much more than winning football, but it does include winning football.

I think his problem (other than the date of the Jan 1 on the contract) is that he logically values Football as a single part of the overall athletics program. Unfortunately, logic has no place when it comes to college football fandom. He has made a huge error in not understanding his stakeholders as it related to football, and has devoted too little attention to managing / communicating with those stakeholders (which include all the potential contributors, not just the whales.)

It's a pretty common mistake amongst engineers who move up in responsibility...the things that got you there (management, intellect, hard work) are not the things that will make you successful in the new role (leadership, stakeholders, communication.) Or, more specifically...all six things are needed but their order of importance to being successful changes as you increase level of responsibility.
[management, intellect, hard work, communication, stakeholders, leadership] ---> [leadership, stakeholders, communication, hard work, intellect, management]
Sorry 85, after 45 years in the corporate world, intellect and especially hard work are completely indispensable. Leadership is the one that belongs as you move up. They are all important, but those three are much more so.

LongforDodd

LatinxBreakfastTacos
I received a post card from the GTAA today asking me to update my profile and share my memories on the flats. The post card is similar to the email that I received earlier in the week. I don’t recall this type of outreach in the past so maybe something is going on behind the scenes.
Likewise and I also suspect these cards and emails portend an outreach for fund raising to help blunt the impending financial damage.

GoJackets1

Georgia Tech Fan
Isn't that in some ways what happened to PJ? He felt he was not supported and not getting the resources he wanted. Why wouldn't we do the same to Collins if we want him out.

Frankly, when Collins gets fired, I wonder if the new guy is going to come in and talk about the biggest transformation in history, taking a team that has been outscored nearly 150-10 by its last power 5 opponents, been outscored 97-7 by UGA in last two games (would've been worse if we didnt cancel due to COVID), won 10 games in 4 years etc. Plus the fact that the school has no money because of Collins' terribleness.
I am thankful you understood where I was coming from! Thank you!

SOWEGA Jacket

Helluva Engineer
It’s over. He knows it’s over and we know it’s over. Apparently we just have to wait out the buyout terms for a few more months. We all knew it was a lost season anyway so for me not much has changed. I wish he was gone but we can get boat raced with him or without him the rest of the way. The team has obviously quit on him so I’m prepared for some major lopsided scores from here on out. I’ll watch as that’s my team, but emotionally we don’t have a 2022 season in my view. That’s all on the AD and I won’t soon forget who cost me a season.

GTLorenzo

Helluva Engineer
I'd add...
13. Lying about size of CPJ OL's mutiple times
14. Kinda tied to 13...extreme, over the top lover of hyperbole
15. Total lack of fire and discipline from the sideline - we get personal fouls...butt pats. we get false starts...butt pats. I'm not saying you should grab a guy and push him around, but I've seen zero evidence of fire in 4 years.

And of course I forgot….

16. Juice crew
17. Money Down
18. Not running begins the Wreck
19. Not announcing Buzz
20. Constantly looking down on and criticizing the prior staff and players who accomplished way more than he has

GoldZ

Ramblin' Wreck
A sh1p load of truth in both of those sentences.
Yep, I'd vote for about a 3:1 ratio on that, in favor of hs recruits. We are doing something wrong on transfers. Of course, that may be corrected in a few weeks (not few months).

Jetdrive3

Jolly Good Fellow
I don’t expect anything anymore. We are now in the zone of debilitating recruiting because of GT administration ineptness with an obvious lame duck coach and a program that cannot be fixed with the present freshman class 4 more years no matter who the next coach is.

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
I don’t expect anything anymore. We are now in the zone of debilitating recruiting because of GT administration ineptness with an obvious lame duck coach and a program that cannot be fixed with the present freshman class 4 more years no matter who the next coach is.
There are plenty of athletes who will transfer each year. I'm not worried about getting players.

But to what end? What's the advantage? The whole NFL-lite strategy is collapsing, if it ever even got off the ground. GTAA needs to ask, "How do we compete?" and once answered, can start putting the pieces together.

But they don't know what they want. And if you don't know where you are going, any road will take you there.

CEB

Helluva Engineer
A sh1p load of truth in both of those sentences.
I think our biggest problem with transfers is we aren’t using them! CGC and Co are trapped right now. We are using the portal to build depth and fill some holes but we’re in an obvious “win now or else” situation so it’s hard to pull your “best” off the field, even when they are gassed or a change of pace is desperately needed. I hope we haven’t truly missed on a lot of these guys and if we are off the rails this weekend or next, I hope we can start roster management / development for the next regime.

I meant this in response to goldz. I botched it. 🤷‍♂️

Jetdrive3

Jolly Good Fellow
There are plenty of athletes who will transfer each year. I'm not worried about getting players.

But to what end? What's the advantage? The whole NFL-lite strategy is collapsing, if it ever even got off the ground. GTAA needs to ask, "How do we compete?" and once answered, can start putting the pieces together.

But they don't know what they want. And if you don't know where you are going, any road will take you there.
While I tend to agree, I don’t think the current administration nor the monied alum have the tools, knowledge, nor the drive to make this program work successfully anytime soon.

CEB

Helluva Engineer
Not sure if this has actually been posted or not, but here is Collins' contract. It does appear that the contract year is through 12/31, but if he were to leave and had a buyout, it is based on a 12/1 date. Really weird.

Thanks...
Unfortunately I agree that our voluntary termination is defined by provision stating year end is Dec 31. I agree that this is really interesting that someone gave enough thought to reduce his buyout for resignation on Dec 1 and no one in turn thought to make it consistent for both parties... ugh.
Surely there is a logical appeal to be made and there certainly wouldn’t be anything prohibiting us from pursuing the new coach... it’ll just make it odd naming him publicly in December!
Other weird things... contract date is in July 16, 2020, with an effective date of Dec 8, 2018 (this should’ve alerted someone to year end timing, huh?) and yet para 2.4 makes reference to “the extraordinary financial event” that took place in 2021. There is some weird amending going on in this document...

Thwg777

Jolly Good Fellow
I’ll confess that I don’t know the ncaa rules as well as some of y’all so my concern below may not be fully valid…

Isn’t there a rule about redshirting allowed after no more than four games? If GT decides through this weekend to keep the lame duck coach, does anyone think it’s plausible that we have an exodus of players declaring redshirt? If the school has given up on the season, why shouldn’t they?