All the way from Montana

griz.in.nzone

Georgia Tech Fan
Greetings Griz family:

Supersize is not aware of the beltline? :( Wha???

Noticed you are staying at Embassy Suites, Akers Mill. Excellent location to enjoy the Jackets, the Falcons and other. Lots of USA and SE businesses are headquarted in this area. The Chattahoochee River and the burb of Vinings are just around the corner. Home of Gen Sherman during the Civil war and battle of Atlanta.

Atlanta History Center. West Paces Road.
https://www.atlantahistorycenter.com/explore/exhibitions/cyclorama-the-big-picture
Special.

Suntrust Park and the Battery are within eyesite of your overnight location. Its the new home of the Atlanta Braves.
https://www.mlb.com/braves/ballpark
Retail, restaurants, bars, etc. Its walkable, (Dale Murphy's, Braves, restaurant is in the Galleria) but take Uber or Lyft.

Next door is the Cobb Energy Center, home of music and theatre. Excellent for music.
https://www.cobbenergycentre.com/
Walkable

Opposite side is good Mexican. Cinco Cantina.
http://cincorestaurants.com/atlanta/
Walkable.

If interested in the history of Ga Tech. Its a good one!
https://www.gatech.edu/about/history-traditions
Good starter page. Highly recommended. I suggest you memorize the "Ramblin Wreck" and drink your whiskey clear.

Best fast food in the USA, if so inclined, is Chick-Fil-A. One just to your West on South Cobb Parkway.
https://www.cfarestaurant.com/mariettatradecenter/home

I transversed the entire state of Montana a few years ago. Enjoyed all. Butte has interesting history! How about Libby, Bonners Ferry and "Going to the Sun Road"? Saw my first prarie dog.

Thank you for visiting Atlanta, Marietta, Cobb County, and the Georgia Institute of Technology!
Gameday . . . always wear White and Gold and cheer on the Jackets!!!
Thank you for all the info. I have some researching to do. As bad as this is going to sound but I have never been on the "Going to the Sun Road". Its always one of those things that you dont do because you think you can do it anytime because its in MT. With that being said, it is 480 miles from my house. Butte, America which is what the locals call it is an awesome historic town. And on the night of the game, I had planned on wearing Griz gear. And I will buy some GT gear when im there.

CuseJacket

Administrator
Staff member
We are actually getting a rental car when we land at the airport. My plan was to get the rental, head to the hotel and check in, and then uber to the Varsity. Maybe I need to rethink that.
That's still a fine plan. Rental will cost you 5-10 min to pick it up, so you may as well do it if you'll need it later anyway. It's pretty much a straight shot on the interstate from the airport to your hotel, whether through the city or around the perimeter. You just might need to tap the breaks more often in 25 miles than you would in 250+ in Montana :)

Bogey

Helluva Engineer
My wife and I stayed in Whitefish for 4 days last year, visiting Glacier NP and chilling out after driving there from San Francisco thru Crater NP, on our way to Yellowstone and SLC. We both loved Montana!
Have fun in Atlanta and enjoy our game.

Sent from my ASUS_Z01RD using Tapatalk

85Escape

Helluva Engineer
I'm flying to Kalispell this Sunday and will spend a week in Libby. What's up with the 16" of snow in September!?! I'm going to freeeeze by Jackets off :)

Anyway, send me a PM and my wife and I can treat you and the misses to a tour and brew at a local craft brewery I'm associated with.

COJacket

Ramblin' Wreck
This is great with all the info. Keep it coming, still waiting for a tailgate invite and Falcons tic lol. We are staying at the Embassey Suites 2815 Akers Mill Road SE. I think thats north of dowtown. I am the guy who plans everything out before we go. My wife gets a 4 page itinerary. lol. Our flight gets in about 1:45 pm on Thursday and going to check into the hotel then to the Varsity then to the game. We will probably Uber just cuz I dont know my way around and with the busy GT traffic. So far on my list I have the Collge FB Hall of Fame (A must for me), world of coca-cola, the King Center and eating places are the Varsity, Busy Bee Cafe, Antico Pizza, Chama Gaucho Brazilian Steakhouse, and Fox Bros BBQ. Monday we are taking a drive to Amicalola Falls, Consolidated Gold Mine, Blue Ridge, and Chickamauga Battlefield. On Sat watching the Griz/cat game at Huey Luey's in Sandy Springs and then planning on going to the Georgia Chapter Room and Cafe 290 Jazz Bar. We do this every 2 years and we have went to San Diego, Phoenix, Las Vegas, Albuquerque, San Antonio, Raleigh, and now Atlanta.
You have one amazing wife. What a cool tradition. Obtw I have two sons one went U of Montana and one MSU so I get your rivalry. The one that went to U of M became the number 3 guy at Black Coffee which I know you will know. He also was an adjunct prof at U of M Now he and his brother run Queen City coffee in Denver. Stop in if ever you are in Denver they now have two shops that are winning awards. Have a great time in the big A! Go Jackets!!!

griz.in.nzone

Georgia Tech Fan
I'm flying to Kalispell this Sunday and will spend a week in Libby. What's up with the 16" of snow in September!?! I'm going to freeeeze by Jackets off :)

Anyway, send me a PM and my wife and I can treat you and the misses to a tour and brew at a local craft brewery I'm associated with.
Thats MT for you. It was 98 degrees last week and now 40 today in Billings. I know they are suppose to get some snow in the mountains. You should head down to Missoula next sat for a Griz game if your still in MT. Its homecoming and if you like college fb like I do, you would have a great time. My wife and I will be going to that game also. I will send you a PM.

griz.in.nzone

Georgia Tech Fan
You have one amazing wife. What a cool tradition. Obtw I have two sons one went U of Montana and one msu so I get your rivalry. The one that went to U of M became the number 3 guy at Black Coffee which I know you will know. He also was an adjunct prof at U of M Now he and his brother run Queen City coffee in Denver. Stop in if ever you are in Denver they now have two shops that are winning awards. Have a great time in the big A! Go Jackets!!!
Thats very cool except your one son who went to msu (I fixed your spelling in your post lol). I dont drink coffee but my wife is addicted to it so yes we know all about Black Coffee. How did your sons get all the way up here? My oldest son who is 26 asked me when he was about 11 what I would do if he ended up playing for msu. I told him that I would come to every one of his road games and cheer for him in every game except 1. Go Griz!

laoh

Ramblin' Wreck
If you're going to King Center, take a few steps down the street on Auburn Ave and see his birthhouse. The famous Ebenezer Baptist Church is right around the corner too.

laoh

Ramblin' Wreck
Make sure to enjoy the Tech campus as well... well, it's not going to be as beautiful as some other major universities but it has improved a lot since I was there. The Clough Student Center is open and you can go to the top level where there is a terrace. Also, someone can chime in, but there are traditions that the band does before the game like playing at the library fountain (is the library still there? I know there had been construction) and marching down Bobby Dodd Way x-minutes prior to the game.

Also Tech Square area around 5th St bridge gets busy on game days. Just look up where Georgia Tech bookstore @ Barnes & Noble is before the game and you'll be right there. Then cross into campus via crossing the 5th St bridge (which crosses I-75/85) and you'll hit Frat row. Follow the crowd towards the stadium.

Since Beltline came up a lot, Piedmont Park is nearby and is nice for strolling through. You can rent those e-scooters, a la Bird, Lime, and like 3 other companies and scoot your way through Midtown, including Beltline if you don't want to walk. BTW, GT campus, including the stadium is situated right at the dividing point of where downtown and midtown are.

If you're gonna be in downtown, then hop into Marriott Marquis... it's great architecture by John Portman, the interior is iconic, serves as one of the anchor hotels for the annual infamous Dragon Con, and it was in the second Hunger Games movie.

The aquarium is nice... it's one of those things that a local may not really go but when there's a visitor from out of town, might go. Also another thing good for tourists... go to the top of the Westin downtown where there's the Sundial spinning restaurant. You can go up there for drinks. It was famous for being the tallest hotel in NA (not sure if it's still the case).

And Ponce City Market off the Beltline is good to go. Some, including me, like Krog St Market better since it's smaller and less of a zoo. Also off the Beltline is Ladybird for good drinks.

85Escape

Helluva Engineer
I put the Ga Aquarium in my "must do" category for a visit to Atlanta.

If you like beer variety, then the Brick Store Pub in Decatur (East Metro) is a pilgrimage that's worth the trip for the Belgian Bar upstairs. And I see you have Antico on the list already...good call.

Pointer

Helluva Engineer
I put the Ga Aquarium in my "must do" category for a visit to Atlanta.

If you like beer variety, then the Brick Store Pub in Decatur (East Metro) is a pilgrimage that's worth the trip for the Belgian Bar upstairs. And I see you have Antico on the list already...good call.
Brickstore is great and so is Marley's Irish pub. Can't go wrong with those two in Decatur.

georgytech

Georgia Tech Fan
I get it, but its more about the history then the food, although I do like food. LOL
You have to do the Varsity onion rings, chili dog, fried peach pie & a Varsity Orange to drink . Heck I am in my seventies & I still eat there & it's right by the stadium. If you have time during the day Oakland Cemetery tour is good, might want to check out Stone Mtn. At the airport you will be right next to Hapeville ,Ga & the main street is Central Ave. where the home of the Chuck Fil A sandwich is located in a place called The Dwarf House , worth a stop for the Hot Brown there. Lots of good bbq in Atlanta area but the very best is a little South of Atlanta in Jackson...Fresh Aire BBQ been in business since 1929. I hope you have a nice visit but wanted to tell you Montana is a great place .This summer we went over Bear Creek Pass on our way to Yellowstone, had a great dinner in Livingston at the restaurant where the writer Jim Harrison used to hang out .

GTJackets

Ramblin' Wreck
I relocated from Atlanta to Boise, Idaho about eight years ago for job-reasons.
The company I work for had a office in Missoula for a few years and I went their fairly often.
I really liked going up there, Missoula and Montana in-general is really nice except at times in the winter months and I know you guys really get into "The Griz" !!
Hope you enjoy GT and Atlanta, tailgating for GT football games in the fall in downtown Atlanta is one of the things I miss the most and I think you'll find our campus is really under-rated.

I had a group of friends that just left the Charleston, SC area to launch a church in Boise. Looks like a beautiful place. Polar opposite from Charleston.