All the way from Montana

griz.in.nzone

Georgia Tech Fan
Hello everyone I wanted to introduce myself and hopefully get some help, info, and ideas. My wife and I are coming to Atlanta Nov 21-26. We are big University of Montana Grizzly fans and football season ticket holders. The University of Montana (Kroy Biermann played here) is in Missoula, MT which is 350 miles from where we live in Billings, MT and we drive to most home games or at least half of them. They usually have between 6-7 each year. Our rival is montana state university which is in bozeman, MT and we play them ever year. In fact, this year will be the 119th game between the 2 schools and the first game was played in 1897. It called the Brawl of the Wild if you want to look it up. The game alternates every year between the schools as to where it is played and this year it is in bozeman. When the game is in bozeman, we will not go to bozeman so we take a trip to someplace we have never been, check out the history, entertainment, food, and college and professional teams from the area. This year the game is in bozeman and we have decided to come to Atlanta. I/We love college football (me more then her) and I noticed that you guys play NC State that Thursday night 11-21. I have already bought tickets and we are attending the game. We would love to experience Georgia Tech tailgating and anything anyone would recommend us to see on/at Georgia Tech. Also, we would love to go to the Atlanta Falcons game on the Sunday 11-24 vs the Buccaneers but i dont want to sit in the nose bleeds and I dont want to pay the high prices on line so if anyone has any ideas for my on that, that would be great. Looking forward to hearing from you all! Go Griz! and Go Jackets! (hopefully thats what you guys say)

Hello everyone I wanted to introduce myself and hopefully get some help, info, and ideas. My wife and I are coming to Atlanta Nov 21-26. We are big University of Montana Grizzly fans and football season ticket holders. The University of Montana (Kroy Biermann played here) is in Missoula, MT which is 350 miles from where we live in Billings, MT and we drive to most home games or at least half of them. They usually have between 6-7 each year. Our rival is montana state university which is in bozeman, MT and we play them ever year. In fact, this year will be the 119th game between the 2 schools and the first game was played in 1897. It called the Brawl of the Wild if you want to look it up. The game alternates every year between the schools as to where it is played and this year it is in bozeman. When the game is in bozeman, we will not go to bozeman so we take a trip to someplace we have never been, check out the history, entertainment, food, and college and professional teams from the area. This year the game is in bozeman and we have decided to come to Atlanta. I/We love college football (me more then her) and I noticed that you guys play NC State that Thursday night 11-21. I have already bought tickets and we are attending the game. We would love to experience Georgia Tech tailgating and anything anyone would recommend us to see on/at Georgia Tech. Also, we would love to go to the Atlanta Falcons game on the Sunday 11-24 vs the Buccaneers but i dont want to sit in the nose bleeds and I dont want to pay the high prices on line so if anyone has any ideas for my on that, that would be great. Looking forward to hearing from you all! Go Griz! and Go Jackets! (hopefully thats what you guys say)
We say "Go Jackets" and "To Hell With Georgia", Georgia (UGA) being our number one annual rival. Like you, I never go to Athens (UGA home) but have season tickets for Tech home games. I would invite you to my tailgate gathering, but because it's a week-night, the couple who arranges things for my group will not be able to make it to Atlanta in time for that game. I too an looking for an alternative, and several of us from my group MAY decide to go to the school dining hall, across the street from the east stands, where they will have an all-you-can-eat buffet (including drinks) for $7.00. I don't think you would get as good feel there for the game-day atmosphere as you would finding a tailgate group, but it's an option. If, in looking around, you see something called "404 Tailgate", stay away from that, it's overpriced, with very little selection.

GTJake

Helluva Engineer
I relocated from Atlanta to Boise, Idaho about eight years ago for job-reasons.
The company I work for had a office in Missoula for a few years and I went their fairly often.
I really liked going up there, Missoula and Montana in-general is really nice except at times in the winter months and I know you guys really get into "The Griz" !!
Hope you enjoy GT and Atlanta, tailgating for GT football games in the fall in downtown Atlanta is one of the things I miss the most and I think you'll find our campus is really under-rated.

stech81

Helluva Engineer
Welcome so glad you pick a Tech game to come to only advice I have is if you can stay close to Tech traffic can get very bad on Thursday night games. I only live about 35 miles north of Tech and on Saturday games can make it in 30 minutes but Thursday night games it's about an hour and half drive. I think you will enjoy your time but can't tell you much about the Falcon

LongforDodd

LatinxBreakfastTacos
An early "Welcome to Atlanta".

Before you get here, research the Belt Line. Aside from the football games and if you're going to stay close to downtown, go get an Uber or Lyft ride to the Ponce City Market. Get on the Belt Line there and take a 0.35 mile stroll south to the New Realm Brewery. Plan to eat/drink there or go next door to Two Urban Licks. Plan to get to these restaurants about an hour before sundown. If the weather is nice, you'll thank me for the experience.

There are two other places along the Belt Line that you can go to that will provide you a nice entertainment and dining experience. Either the Krog Street Market or Inman Park.

On the weekends and particularly if the weather is nice, there's lots o' consmurin' going on by boat loads of people along the Belt Line but particularly in these three spots along the trail. Young people everywhere wearing out credit cards.

Before you get here, research the Belt Line. Aside from the football games and if you're going to stay close to downtown, go get an Uber or Lyft ride to the Ponce City Market. Get on the Belt Line there and take a 0.35 mile stroll south to the New Realm Brewery. Plan to eat/drink there or go next door to Two Urban Licks. Plan to get to these restaurants about an hour before sundown. If the weather is nice, you'll thank me for the experience.

There are two other places along the Belt Line that you can go to that will provide you a nice entertainment and dining experience. Either the Krog Street Market or Inman Park.

On the weekends and particularly if the weather is nice, there's lots o' consmurin' going on by boat loads of people along the Belt Line but particularly in these three spots along the trail. Young people everywhere wearing out credit cards.
WOW. I live in Georgia, and I was unaware of all of that. I have never even head of the Belt Line.

TooTall

Helluva Engineer
Coming up around mid morning from south GA. Going to do the College Football Hall of Fame ($21.99 reg rate) then see if a tour is available for the Benz($25). We want to be in the parking deck around 4 so there will be no issues with traffic. Get a couple of chili dogs walking form the Varsity or grab a full meat at the Vortex. Cheer on Tech to victory then fade away into the mountains for short vacation.---Dang good Thursday if I say so myself.

LongforDodd

LatinxBreakfastTacos
WOW. I live in Georgia, and I was unaware of all of that. I have never even head of the Belt Line.
Look it up, SS. The Belt Line was an old railroad that encircled the city. A GT City Planning grad student came up with the idea and it has really taken off. You remember Ponce DeLeon Ball park and the old Sears Building? The Sears building (now called Ponce City Market) is the anchor on one end and the Krog Street Market is effectively the current anchor on the south end. Inman PArk somewhat in the middle. Bars, restaurants, apartments, condos, rebuilding of the older homes, some new homes all along the thing and pushing into the adjoining neighborhoods. They have started trying to redevelop the West End portion of it. The neighborhood where I spent the first five years of my life is two blocks from the West End part. Homes over there are being refurbished and the young set is moving over there. Mark Teixeira is trying to become the next John Dewberry/Kim King and is putting his money to work where the Belt Line runs near the Bellwood Quarry almost immediately west of campus.

What the Belt Line has done for Atlanta is really amazing. Like I said, young folks wearing out their credit cards on the weekend there. You should stay overnight before/after a ballgame and check it out.

Look it up, SS. The Belt Line was an old railroad that encircled the city. A GT City Planning grad student came up with the idea and it has really taken off. You remember Ponce DeLeon Ball park and the old Sears Building? The Sears building (now called Ponce City Market) is the anchor on one end and the Krog Street Market is effectively the current anchor on the south end. Inman PArk somewhat in the middle. Bars, restaurants, apartments, condos, rebuilding of the older homes, some new homes all along the thing and pushing into the adjoining neighborhoods. They have started trying to redevelop the West End portion of it. The neighborhood where I spent the first five years of my life is two blocks from the West End part. Homes over there are being refurbished and the young set is moving over there. Mark Teixeira is trying to become the next John Dewberry/Kim King and is putting his money to work where the Belt Line runs near the Bellwood Quarry almost immediately west of campus.

What the Belt Line has done for Atlanta is really amazing. Like I said, young folks wearing out their credit cards on the weekend there. You should stay overnight before/after a ballgame and check it out.
Thanks, I remember the old Ponce ball park and the Sears Building. But I was unaware of what has been done (is being done) in that area.

White_Gold

GT Athlete

Highly recommend 2 Urban Licks

Dustman

Helluva Engineer
You mentioned history, so the “old campus” is the area close to the stadium. Old dorms are between the stadium and the interstate and just up “the Hill” (west of the stadium) are the original classroom buildings and the Tech tower.

I believe the Edge Center is open before the games. Northeast corner outside the stadium. The crystal football from the 1990 NC season is in there along with all the other trophies, team pictures, all Americans etc.

Tailgating is scattered around the campus, mostly on the West campus, but there are some off campus lots across the interstate. Most of those lots have reserved parking. If you’re renting a car, you can check into which lots have available parking permits for sale.

There’s a Marta station at North Ave just a few blocks from the stadium.

The Varsity is part of our history, but it’s about the atmosphere and not the food. But if you like chili dogs and onion rings.....

BCJacket

Ramblin' Wreck
Night games under the lights at Bobby Dodd Stadium are glorious. Don't know where you're sitting, but definitely find your way to the west stands or north stands to get a view of the Downtown/midtown skyline. Probably the best view of the Atlanta skyline there is from anywhere.

Others have mentioned the Varsity. The worlds largest drive-in. It's worth walking by/through at least. Fast food that hasn't changed much in 70 years. Objectively, it's not great food. But I, and most of us Tech folk, love it because it tastes just like game day with our Dads/granddads always did. Chili dogs, onion rings, frosted orange (kinda like an orange julius), chili steak (burger) with pimento cheese are the big hits. I swear they have the best Coca-Cola in the world. Something about the ice or the syrup mix. Coke world headquarters is a block away. The fried peach pies are always a good treat.

Waffle House is also a thing for us. But there's plenty of higher class food options around the area as well.

Tech's campus is nice, but there's nothing really notable except the stadium. Midtown Atlanta, across the connector, is where the more interesting stuff is at.

While you're in town, the Aquarium, World of Coke and College Football Hall of Fame are the big attractions. If you're a fan of food (and a little adventurous) I'd suggest checking out Buford Highway. It's our immigrant neighborhood. But unlike other cities the ethnicities are all geographically intermingled. (https://www.foodandwine.com/travel/restaurants/buford-highway-atlanta-best-restaurants) The Buford Highway Farmers Market is huge and very cool.

If anybody asks you "What's the good word?" correct response is "To Hell With Georgia".

griz.in.nzone

Georgia Tech Fan
This is great with all the info. Keep it coming, still waiting for a tailgate invite and Falcons tic lol. We are staying at the Embassey Suites 2815 Akers Mill Road SE. I think thats north of dowtown. I am the guy who plans everything out before we go. My wife gets a 4 page itinerary. lol. Our flight gets in about 1:45 pm on Thursday and going to check into the hotel then to the Varsity then to the game. We will probably Uber just cuz I dont know my way around and with the busy GT traffic. So far on my list I have the Collge FB Hall of Fame (A must for me), world of coca-cola, the King Center and eating places are the Varsity, Busy Bee Cafe, Antico Pizza, Chama Gaucho Brazilian Steakhouse, and Fox Bros BBQ. Monday we are taking a drive to Amicalola Falls, Consolidated Gold Mine, Blue Ridge, and Chickamauga Battlefield. On Sat watching the Griz/cat game at Huey Luey's in Sandy Springs and then planning on going to the Georgia Chapter Room and Cafe 290 Jazz Bar. We do this every 2 years and we have went to San Diego, Phoenix, Las Vegas, Albuquerque, San Antonio, Raleigh, and now Atlanta.

griz.in.nzone

Georgia Tech Fan
Night games under the lights at Bobby Dodd Stadium are glorious. Don't know where you're sitting, but definitely find your way to the west stands or north stands to get a view of the Downtown/midtown skyline. Probably the best view of the Atlanta skyline there is from anywhere.

Others have mentioned the Varsity. The worlds largest drive-in. It's worth walking by/through at least. Fast food that hasn't changed much in 70 years. Objectively, it's not great food. But I, and most of us Tech folk, love it because it tastes just like game day with our Dads/granddads always did. Chili dogs, onion rings, frosted orange (kinda like an orange julius), chili steak (burger) with pimento cheese are the big hits. I swear they have the best Coca-Cola in the world. Something about the ice or the syrup mix. Coke world headquarters is a block away. The fried peach pies are always a good treat.

Waffle House is also a thing for us. But there's plenty of higher class food options around the area as well.

Tech's campus is nice, but there's nothing really notable except the stadium. Midtown Atlanta, across the connector, is where the more interesting stuff is at.

While you're in town, the Aquarium, World of Coke and College Football Hall of Fame are the big attractions. If you're a fan of food (and a little adventurous) I'd suggest checking out Buford Highway. It's our immigrant neighborhood. But unlike other cities the ethnicities are all geographically intermingled. (https://www.foodandwine.com/travel/restaurants/buford-highway-atlanta-best-restaurants) The Buford Highway Farmers Market is huge and very cool.

If anybody asks you "What's the good word?" correct response is "To Hell With Georgia".

Out tickets are in Sec 124 Row 10

This is great with all the info. Keep it coming, still waiting for a tailgate invite and Falcons tic lol. We are staying at the Embassey Suites 2815 Akers Mill Road SE. I think thats north of dowtown. I am the guy who plans everything out before we go. My wife gets a 4 page itinerary. lol. Our flight gets in about 1:45 pm on Thursday and going to check into the hotel then to the Varsity then to the game. We will probably Uber just cuz I dont know my way around and with the busy GT traffic. So far on my list I have the Collge FB Hall of Fame (A must for me), world of coca-cola, the King Center and eating places are the Varsity, Busy Bee Cafe, Antico Pizza, Chama Gaucho Brazilian Steakhouse, and Fox Bros BBQ. Monday we are taking a drive to Amicalola Falls, Consolidated Gold Mine, Blue Ridge, and Chickamauga Battlefield. On Sat watching the Griz/cat game at Huey Luey's in Sandy Springs and then planning on going to the Georgia Chapter Room and Cafe 290 Jazz Bar. We do this every 2 years and we have went to San Diego, Phoenix, Las Vegas, Albuquerque, San Antonio, Raleigh, and now Atlanta.
I'm surprised that any address in Atlanta listed as "SE" is north of downtown, but I checked, and you are right. It's a long way from downtown though. Good luck.