All the way from Montana

georgytech

Georgia Tech Fan
Hello everyone I wanted to introduce myself and hopefully get some help, info, and ideas. My wife and I are coming to Atlanta Nov 21-26. We are big University of Montana Grizzly fans and football season ticket holders. The University of Montana (Kroy Biermann played here) is in Missoula, MT which is 350 miles from where we live in Billings, MT and we drive to most home games or at least half of them. They usually have between 6-7 each year. Our rival is montana state university which is in bozeman, MT and we play them ever year. In fact, this year will be the 119th game between the 2 schools and the first game was played in 1897. It called the Brawl of the Wild if you want to look it up. The game alternates every year between the schools as to where it is played and this year it is in bozeman. When the game is in bozeman, we will not go to bozeman so we take a trip to someplace we have never been, check out the history, entertainment, food, and college and professional teams from the area. This year the game is in bozeman and we have decided to come to Atlanta. I/We love college football (me more then her) and I noticed that you guys play NC State that Thursday night 11-21. I have already bought tickets and we are attending the game. We would love to experience Georgia Tech tailgating and anything anyone would recommend us to see on/at Georgia Tech. Also, we would love to go to the Atlanta Falcons game on the Sunday 11-24 vs the Buccaneers but i dont want to sit in the nose bleeds and I dont want to pay the high prices on line so if anyone has any ideas for my on that, that would be great. Looking forward to hearing from you all! Go Griz! and Go Jackets! (hopefully thats what you guys say)
I bought a Grizzly cap last year when I was in Whitefish, nice black & silver. Welcome to Tech be sure to eat at The Varsity. Lots to do in Atlanta.

BCJacket

Ramblin' Wreck
We are staying at the Embassey Suites 2815 Akers Mill Road SE. I think thats north of dowtown. I am the guy who plans everything out before we go. My wife gets a 4 page itinerary. lol. Our flight gets in about 1:45 pm on Thursday and going to check into the hotel then to the Varsity then to the game. We will probably Uber just cuz I dont know my way around and with the busy GT traffic.

Uber down, but that won't be a bad ride. Straight shot down I-75 or US41 (Northside Pkwy) if traffic is bad. I used to take Northside from Cumberland (Akers Mill) to Campus every evening for class after work, it was never too bad.

Tailgating might be hit-or-miss on a Thursday night. Atlanta isn't a college town, won't shut down for a weeknight game. I'd bet most of us will be headed down from work, arriving late. Worst case, there's the 404 Tailgate. Supersize suggested 'avoid it' above. I'd agree finding a real tailgate group would be better, but there's food and drink and a nice location near the stadium. https://ramblinwreck.com/georgia-tech-introduces-404-tailgate/

You can easily walk to the stadium from the Varsity, FYI. I hope you enjoy the Varsity. If you go in with the right expectations, it really is a cool place. Lot of history there. But the food is greasy lowbrow slop... dang it, now I'm thinking about it and I'm gonna have to go get my vitamin V fix for lunch tomorrow.

This thread may be of interest: https://gtswarm.com/threads/“what’ll-ya-have.15148/

That's a great looking itinerary for a weekend in Atlanta.

Out tickets are in Sec 124 Row 10

Right next the the expensive seats! That's the visitor's side. So, at some point walk up and to your right (if you're looking at the field). The big tall stands at the North end (above the student section) will have a great view of the city. Worth the walk/stairs.

Uber down, but that won't be a bad ride. Straight shot down I-75 or US41 (Northside Pkwy) if traffic is bad. I used to take Northside from Cumberland (Akers Mill) to Campus every evening for class after work, it was never too bad.

Tailgating might be hit-or-miss on a Thursday night. Atlanta isn't a college town, won't shut down for a weeknight game. I'd bet most of us will be headed down from work, arriving late. Worst case, there's the 404 Tailgate. Supersize suggested 'avoid it' above. I'd agree finding a real tailgate group would be better, but there's food and drink and a nice location near the stadium. https://ramblinwreck.com/georgia-tech-introduces-404-tailgate/

You can easily walk to the stadium from the Varsity, FYI. I hope you enjoy the Varsity. If you go in with the right expectations, it really is a cool place. Lot of history there. But the food is greasy lowbrow slop... dang it, now I'm thinking about it and I'm gonna have to go get my vitamin V fix for lunch tomorrow.

This thread may be of interest: https://gtswarm.com/threads/“what’ll-ya-have.15148/

That's a great looking itinerary for a weekend in Atlanta.

Right next the the expensive seats! That's the visitor's side. So, at some point walk up and to your right (if you're looking at the field). The big tall stands at the North end (above the student section) will have a great view of the city. Worth the walk/stairs.
Both the Baptist Center and the Catholic Center have much better food and cost that 404 Tailgate. Plus, as I mentioned earlier, for cost, you really can't beat Brittain Dining Hall. The manager there gave us a tour before the Citadel game, after having wasted money at the 404 Tailgate. It's obviously not tailgating, but I would assume there will be a good many Tech fans in there. That's where I plan on going prior to the NCSU game.

CuseJacket

Administrator
Staff member
This is great with all the info. Keep it coming, still waiting for a tailgate invite and Falcons tic lol. We are staying at the Embassey Suites 2815 Akers Mill Road SE. I think thats north of dowtown. I am the guy who plans everything out before we go. My wife gets a 4 page itinerary. lol. Our flight gets in about 1:45 pm on Thursday and going to check into the hotel then to the Varsity then to the game. We will probably Uber just cuz I dont know my way around and with the busy GT traffic. So far on my list I have the Collge FB Hall of Fame (A must for me), world of coca-cola, the King Center and eating places are the Varsity, Busy Bee Cafe, Antico Pizza, Chama Gaucho Brazilian Steakhouse, and Fox Bros BBQ. Monday we are taking a drive to Amicalola Falls, Consolidated Gold Mine, Blue Ridge, and Chickamauga Battlefield. On Sat watching the Griz/cat game at Huey Luey's in Sandy Springs and then planning on going to the Georgia Chapter Room and Cafe 290 Jazz Bar. We do this every 2 years and we have went to San Diego, Phoenix, Las Vegas, Albuquerque, San Antonio, Raleigh, and now Atlanta.
Sounds like a great start to an itinerary.

FYI if your arrival to ATL is delayed by even an hour, you might be in for a long afternoon/evening in the car. You'll have to traverse from one end of the city (airport) to the other (hotel) - hopefully no more than an hour even at rush hour. Then double-back halfway another 30 or so getting back down to midtown. Just trying to set proper expectations. I'd get to that uber from the airport as soon as possible.

I'm sure some will step up and offer you a spot at their tailgate once they get around to this thread. Unfortunately as of the last few seasons, I am neither a host nor often a patron due to time constraints.

On Antico, the original is just off campus by GT, though not easy walking distance to the stadium. But, you may have observed this already, there is a newer location very close to your hotel next to SunTrust Park (Braves).

Bogey

Helluva Engineer
The only beer wine sales near the stadium is at the 404 Tailgate on top of the parking deck across the street from the north end of the stadium. $7 wings and brats and $5 beer is hard to beat so close to the stadium. It works for my group and is where we meet before the game. They have TV's and sitting areas also. If you want a beer or two before the game, it's hard to beat.

Sent from my ASUS_Z01RD using Tapatalk

VintageWreck

Jolly Good Fellow
Greetings Griz family:

Supersize is not aware of the beltline? :( Wha???

Noticed you are staying at Embassy Suites, Akers Mill. Excellent location to enjoy the Jackets, the Falcons and other. Lots of USA and SE businesses are headquarted in this area. The Chattahoochee River and the burb of Vinings are just around the corner. Home of Gen Sherman during the Civil war and battle of Atlanta.

Atlanta History Center. West Paces Road.
https://www.atlantahistorycenter.com/explore/exhibitions/cyclorama-the-big-picture
Special.

Suntrust Park and the Battery are within eyesite of your overnight location. Its the new home of the Atlanta Braves.
https://www.mlb.com/braves/ballpark
Retail, restaurants, bars, etc. Its walkable, (Dale Murphy's, Braves, restaurant is in the Galleria) but take Uber or Lyft.

Next door is the Cobb Energy Center, home of music and theatre. Excellent for music.
https://www.cobbenergycentre.com/
Walkable

Opposite side is good Mexican. Cinco Cantina.
http://cincorestaurants.com/atlanta/
Walkable.

If interested in the history of Ga Tech. Its a good one!
https://www.gatech.edu/about/history-traditions
Good starter page. Highly recommended. I suggest you memorize the "Ramblin Wreck" and drink your whiskey clear.

Best fast food in the USA, if so inclined, is Chick-Fil-A. One just to your West on South Cobb Parkway.
https://www.cfarestaurant.com/mariettatradecenter/home

I transversed the entire state of Montana a few years ago. Enjoyed all. Butte has interesting history! How about Libby, Bonners Ferry and "Going to the Sun Road"? Saw my first prarie dog.

Thank you for visiting Atlanta, Marietta, Cobb County, and the Georgia Institute of Technology!
Gameday . . . always wear White and Gold and cheer on the Jackets!!!

Gtbowhunter90

In Black Bear Country
Contributing Writer
I always love when other teams fans post here and share how much they love their program and it reminds me that we are all actually the same. You'll find this board is very passionate about all GT sports

We're truly one of a kind... I digress

There is no setting in college football better than a packed Thursday night game at Bobby Dodd Stadium! We haven't hosted NC State in a while so it's gonna be a very fun game.

TooTall

Helluva Engineer
Skip the varsity, horrible.

GIFs2019825111036.gif

TheTechGuy

Ramblin' Wreck
Hello everyone I wanted to introduce myself and hopefully get some help, info, and ideas. My wife and I are coming to Atlanta Nov 21-26. We are big University of Montana Grizzly fans and football season ticket holders. The University of Montana (Kroy Biermann played here) is in Missoula, MT which is 350 miles from where we live in Billings, MT and we drive to most home games or at least half of them. They usually have between 6-7 each year. Our rival is montana state university which is in bozeman, MT and we play them ever year. In fact, this year will be the 119th game between the 2 schools and the first game was played in 1897. It called the Brawl of the Wild if you want to look it up. The game alternates every year between the schools as to where it is played and this year it is in bozeman. When the game is in bozeman, we will not go to bozeman so we take a trip to someplace we have never been, check out the history, entertainment, food, and college and professional teams from the area. This year the game is in bozeman and we have decided to come to Atlanta. I/We love college football (me more then her) and I noticed that you guys play NC State that Thursday night 11-21. I have already bought tickets and we are attending the game. We would love to experience Georgia Tech tailgating and anything anyone would recommend us to see on/at Georgia Tech. Also, we would love to go to the Atlanta Falcons game on the Sunday 11-24 vs the Buccaneers but i dont want to sit in the nose bleeds and I dont want to pay the high prices on line so if anyone has any ideas for my on that, that would be great. Looking forward to hearing from you all! Go Griz! and Go Jackets! (hopefully thats what you guys say)
Welcome! Really enjoyed watching Adrian Peterson run over your team in 2000 when I rooted for Southern as an FCS team. Enjoy Atlanta!

MWBATL

Helluva Engineer
Haven’t been there in a looooong time. Lots of coeds, eh?
I live along that stretch of the Beltline. The ladies are not coeds, but they definitely are young professionals, usually in the 20-30 year old range. The views can be eye-popping at times.

But the area is also a mecca for folks who walk, bike, and scooter to get exercise as well. So, in the early evenings you get a mix of folks out walking between bars in their evening attire, and others running or riding bikes....urban living at its best!

TechBurn

Jolly Good Fellow
TechGuy,,, I also was at the national championship game in Chattanooga when Peterson ran through the Grizzlies,,, One of CPJs NCs,,in a heavy rainstorm as I remember,,,,

gtjackets930

Jolly Good Fellow
As many others have said, tailgating is tough with a weeknight game for most folks with traffic and all. If you don't find a spot, I would recommend heading to Cypress Street Pint & Plate before the game. Will likely be a good GT crowd. Check out the $3 'house beer,' which is just Sweetwater (Atlanta's most well-known craft brewery). Hopefully, you'll find a good tailgate, though.

Your itinerary looks great. My only change would be to swap out Fox Bros BBQ for Heirloom BBQ. Heirloom will be right around the corner from where you're staying and (in my likely controversial opinion) takes the top spot for Atlanta bbq.

griz.in.nzone

Georgia Tech Fan
Sounds like a great start to an itinerary.

FYI if your arrival to ATL is delayed by even an hour, you might be in for a long afternoon/evening in the car. You'll have to traverse from one end of the city (airport) to the other (hotel) - hopefully no more than an hour even at rush hour. Then double-back halfway another 30 or so getting back down to midtown. Just trying to set proper expectations. I'd get to that uber from the airport as soon as possible.

I'm sure some will step up and offer you a spot at their tailgate once they get around to this thread. Unfortunately as of the last few seasons, I am neither a host nor often a patron due to time constraints.

On Antico, the original is just off campus by GT, though not easy walking distance to the stadium. But, you may have observed this already, there is a newer location very close to your hotel next to SunTrust Park (Braves).
We are actually getting a rental car when we land at the airport. My plan was to get the rental, head to the hotel and check in, and then uber to the Varsity. Maybe I need to rethink that.

griz.in.nzone

Georgia Tech Fan
Yeah, I'd skip the Varsity - two thumbs up on the Embassy Suites - stayed there many times.

I just had a friend move to Montana - I forget the town but he said it was 60 miles from the nearest Wal-Mart.

Glad to have you - welcome!
Well at least he isnt too far away from that.