Alcorn State Postgame Discussion

tech_wreck47

Helluva Engineer
Some things I observed.

Play book was very minimal.

We will be fine at WR and the other skilled positions.

TM did a couple things better than last year.

D looked good but needs to do a better job at braking down and making the tackle, to many wrong shoulder angles and over pursuits. (Besides that they looked awesome) I’m just finding something to nitpick lol.

Amerson1990

Banned
No one has mentioned Big Brandon Adams getting the start over KCH. Thought that was interesting, but I don’t recall Brandon’s name being called out for making a single play. Also, surprised I didn’t hear much from Branch, kind of disappointing.

I miss the days of the Sophomore version of Clinton Lynch, I know it’s just one game but he has basically disappeared from our offense and is about half the player he used to be.

It was easy to tell how frustrated TM was with himself in first half with his passing, hopefully this will be his worst game passing this season. I remember thinking after UT game last year we got someone special at QB, I still hope that’s true but yesterday didn’t make me think that we do. TM easily looks like worst passer we’ve had at QB....Defenses from here on out are going to sell out to stop the run, so can TM make them pay when they do ? That will be the difference between a 5-6 win season vs 8-9 win season.

I agree with most everyone else that our kicking game will most assuredly cause us to lose a game this year. Frustrating seeing that Bulovas Kid for Bama booming kicks in the EZ last night, CPJ had his guy and he bolted in the eleventh hour.

Oldgoldandwhite

Helluva Engineer
Complete agreement. We ( us fans ) continue to overrate our talent level. We seem to think another year in the weight room and another year of experience is going to turn good football players into great ones. We will get the rare instance that it may occur , but not nearly often enough. We seem to think if we can list a two deep OL with 1-3 years experience that they will be " nasty ". We are in denial. We have slightly above average football talent , and we get slightly above average results. I love our SAs , I know playing for Tech is a grind. They are fine young men and will be successful in life if they stick with the program. But on the field, they are middle of the pack.
We are on the same page.

Oldgoldandwhite

Helluva Engineer
This game highlights a problem with the absence of LJ. This game is going on film and other teams will scout against GT & basically abandon coverage to blitz the running lanes. This will work for good defenses like last year.
That’s what scares me. I hope I’m wrong. If I’m the opposing coach, I’m going to put 8 in the box and stunt the tackles. Blitz one LB, and dare us to throw it.

MWBATL

Helluva Engineer
That’s what scares me. I hope I’m wrong. If I’m the opposing coach, I’m going to put 8 in the box and stunt the tackles. Blitz one LB, and dare us to throw it.
Agreed. And unless we improve pretty fast in our passing game, we won't defeat that defensive scheme. We didn't last year, at any rate (see Clemson, 2nd half of Duke and Miami, UGa...)

UgaBlows

Helluva Engineer
There was one new waterfountain at the north end of the upper deck, and there was a line about 50 long trying to get to it. Is that what you're referring to? It looked like nothing more than a new water fountain to me. There was nothing at the south end, other than the two old water fountains from years past....the kind you can only fill half your bottle from. I sit in section 225, slightly south of the 50. The nearest thing to me are those old water fountains in outside section 227.

Yes it was on the North end

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
Complete agreement. We ( us fans ) continue to overrate our talent level. We seem to think another year in the weight room and another year of experience is going to turn good football players into great ones. We will get the rare instance that it may occur , but not nearly often enough. We seem to think if we can list a two deep OL with 1-3 years experience that they will be " nasty ". We are in denial. We have slightly above average football talent , and we get slightly above average results. I love our SAs , I know playing for Tech is a grind. They are fine young men and will be successful in life if they stick with the program. But on the field, they are middle of the pack.

Fwiw, I don't think this is true. This game tempered my optimism, but my optimism wasn't based on overrating our talent level, and I suspect that I'm not alone.

My optimism was based on scheme. It is still my belief that our scheme on offense, when executed well, allows us to compete against teams with better talent. I also think that we now have a defensive scheme that will have a similar impact. I really doubt that anyone thought that we had coached-up our 3 star talents into 5 star talents.

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
No one has mentioned Big Brandon Adams getting the start over KCH. Thought that was interesting, but I don’t recall Brandon’s name being called out for making a single play. Also, surprised I didn’t hear much from Branch, kind of disappointing.

I miss the days of the Sophomore version of Clinton Lynch, I know it’s just one game but he has basically disappeared from our offense and is about half the player he used to be.

It was easy to tell how frustrated TM was with himself in first half with his passing, hopefully this will be his worst game passing this season. I remember thinking after UT game last year we got someone special at QB, I still hope that’s true but yesterday didn’t make me think that we do. TM easily looks like worst passer we’ve had at QB....Defenses from here on out are going to sell out to stop the run, so can TM make them pay when they do ? That will be the difference between a 5-6 win season vs 8-9 win season.

I agree with most everyone else that our kicking game will most assuredly cause us to lose a game this year. Frustrating seeing that Bulovas Kid for Bama booming kicks in the EZ last night, CPJ had his guy and he bolted in the eleventh hour.
I am confused about your Lynch observation. He got two touches for 27 yards. He might have "disappeared" but it is an option offense, and that was the call for him and the other A backs, none of whom got more than a taste as it was all QB and B back all day. It is the downside to the option: your best running backs can go long stretches without the ball. (FYI: two pretty fair country A backs, Searcy and Cottrell, got two touches between them.) I did not focus on his blocking but unless he was missing all kinds of blocks I don't understand your objection. He did what the offense called for him to do.

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
And TM will tear them up this year. He didn’t look great in the first half but way better in the second. And for those who want to complain and say he’s the same as last year, you weren’t paying close enough attention or you don’t know what to look for, but there was two things I saw that he improved on from last year.
Maybe so; I hope you are right. My guess is that defenses will again bring their safeties forward and cheat to the outside to stop the sweep with LBs and nose guards responsible for the dive. Until Marshall can hit some deep routes no defense will worry a lot about passing, and yesterday will confirm their conclusions.

slugboy

Staff member
I am confused about your Lynch observation. He got two touches for 27 yards. He might have "disappeared" but it is an option offense, and that was the call for him and the other A backs, none of whom got more than a taste as it was all QB and B back all day. It is the downside to the option: your best running backs can go long stretches without the ball. (FYI: two pretty fair country A backs, Searcy and Cottrell, got two touches between them.) I did not focus on his blocking but unless he was missing all kinds of blocks I don't understand your objection. He did what the offense called for him to do.

With Searcy and Cottrell, I was wanting them to get the ball more often. Run or pass, those guys are a big play waiting to happen.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

GTJake

Helluva Engineer
My observations (from TV) ...
Crowd looked sparse
I LOVE Wes Durham, I think he will always be a closet GT guy
TM had a bad day, don't think TM and WR's where on the same page
OL wasn't really impressive after opening drive
Good start for the defense
First 2018 impression, same O, better D that might be able to hold 2nd half leads ...

tmhunter52

Helluva Engineer
For those of you much more versed in Xs and Os than I, did Alcorn State take away the pitch to the Abacks yesterday? It just looked like they weren’t much involved in the game, as their few carriers would suggest.