Alcorn State Postgame Discussion

pbrown520

Ramblin' Wreck
I was hoping Graham would play. Oliver is an option QB only. If he is a passer at all, then call me confused with how PJ runs games with insurmountable leads. He rarely gives the guys who come in anything other than the most basic parts of the run game. Then once it gets too late he's out there with the entirely second/third string and you can't really expect to execute anything else.

gtwcf

Ramblin' Wreck
Screenshot_1.png

The middle was there all day. We actually didn't have a whole bunch of sustained drives, and Alcorn was somewhat stalling. They had one drive where it took them almost 6+ mins to go 37 yards in the 3rd quarter.

Quon missed a few mesh reads, but I don't think he missed many (if any?) pitch reads. He got blown up a few times on the pitch, which meant he was riding the read man pretty well.

We've got a lot of team first guys, which helps. They know they'll get their shot at some point.

pbrown520

Ramblin' Wreck
Oliver looked like he didn't want to pass. As soon as he took his drop his eyes went down and he scrambled.

Did he ever have a called pass play? He may have and I missed it. I wanted to see what his arm looked like, but nothing. I get the feeling with him that the offense would be even more of a run offense.

GT_05

Helluva Engineer
No one has mentioned Big Brandon Adams getting the start over KCH. Thought that was interesting, but I don’t recall Brandon’s name being called out for making a single play. Also, surprised I didn’t hear much from Branch, kind of disappointing.

I did notice that BA and KCH pursued the plays a long way from their starting position. Phenomenal hustle, especially for men their size.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

slugboy

Staff member
For those of you much more versed in Xs and Os than I, did Alcorn State take away the pitch to the Abacks yesterday? It just looked like they weren’t much involved in the game, as their few carriers would suggest.

We probably could have run the B Back all day. I’m not sure how much 3O we called, and how much was “non optional“.

It’s hard to get the A Back “as” involved when there is only one ball and the middle is working. Also, we got just about everyone’s hands on the ball, so yards averaged out over everyone. Offense was mid 500’s in yardage (just over 100 passing). Three turnovers probably dampened our score and yardage too.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

MikeJackets1967

Helluva Engineer
View attachment 4072

The middle was there all day. We actually didn't have a whole bunch of sustained drives, and Alcorn was somewhat stalling. They had one drive where it took them almost 6+ mins to go 37 yards in the 3rd quarter.

Quon missed a few mesh reads, but I don't think he missed many (if any?) pitch reads. He got blown up a few times on the pitch, which meant he was riding the read man pretty well.

We've got a lot of team first guys, which helps. They know they'll get their shot at some point.
One of the things i was disappointed in with the offense was that GT didn't have a 100 yard rusher.

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
This game highlights a problem with the absence of LJ. This game is going on film and other teams will scout against GT & basically abandon coverage to blitz the running lanes. This will work for good defenses like last year.
It wouldn't matter if LJ had been available unless PJ would play him. He was definitely working on the passing game with TM.