Adam Gotsis arrested

Deleted member 2897

That isnt entirely true either. In the current climate. Rape allegations in divorce proceedings are common.

I just tried to find someone who has been convicted of raping their wife and could not. I don’t doubt it happens in marriage, as various forms of violence can happen. But I think “common” is a massive stretch. What I was able to find was a few studies who had attempted to quantify the commonality of such a thing, and came back with 1%-2% from surveys. Someone willing to inflict violence on their spouse is probably not my target audience. :)

jgtengineer

Helluva Engineer
I just tried to find someone who has been convicted of raping their wife and could not. I don’t doubt it happens in marriage, as various forms of violence can happen. But I think “common” is a massive stretch. What I was able to find was a few studies who had attempted to quantify the commonality of such a thing, and came back with 1%-2% from surveys. Someone willing to inflict violence on their spouse is probably not my target audience. :)

I said allegation not necessarily convictions., usually **** like that is used as leverage.

AUFC

Helluva Engineer
Why don't you talk to several women for their views? Because there are several reasons. I don't have an opinion on Gotsis at all -- the courts will sort it out -- but I have talked to rape victims. In terms of how women react there is a difference in the out-and-out sexual assault and sexual assault by an acquaintance, and "date rape" is far more common than acknowledged . There is hesitance, believe it or not some guilt may be associated ("did I encourage it?"), uncertainty as to reaction from friends, distrust of cops who all too often even in 2018 may have a first reaction of "She asked for it", a reluctance to have her previous sexual history explored -- in terms of sex America is still very much a chauvinistic society, "boys will be boys but girls better be chaste" -- and maybe the one, overriding fear-driven reason: the absolute terror of being on a witness stand, or giving a deposition, and having a bull terrier of a defense lawyer shred their reputations while demanding public exploration of every sexual encounter beginning with their teen years, because his sole responsibility is not to the truth -- that is for the prosecution -- but to his client. Imagine returning to your job or family after enduring that. It is not a pretty picture of our justice system, but there it is, and it takes an exceptional judge to control the courtroom and the interrogation. And frankly, we ain't got many exceptional judges. I will give you a pass on the equivalency of a petty thief and a rapist, because you probably want that part back.
Prosecution exists to prosecute, not to find truth. That is, prosecution would like a guilty verdict 101% of the time.

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
Prosecution exists to prosecute, not to find truth. That is, prosecution would like a guilty verdict 101% of the time.
No, prosecution's role is to find the truth. Whether they will or not is up to the specific office. and outlaws sometimes exist. Fact is, the prosecution is supposed to ferret out truth, and defense is to make them prove it. Untold numbers of cases are not taken forward and charges either not filed or dismissed in this effort. But certainly if they decide to prosecute they are after a conviction.

iopjacket

Ramblin' Wreck
No, prosecution's role is to find the truth. Whether they will or not is up to the specific office. and outlaws sometimes exist. Fact is, the prosecution is supposed to ferret out truth, and defense is to make them prove it. Untold numbers of cases are not taken forward and charges either not filed or dismissed in this effort. But certainly if they decide to prosecute they are after a conviction.

Unfortunately prosecution officers are elected and dependent on public opinion. Bias toward maintaining or enhancing power is to some degree in every decision they make.

GT_05

Helluva Engineer
Final Appeal is a pretty decent show on the Oxygen channel. Brian Banks, an “investigator” on the show, was falsely accused of rape and spent five years in prison. He was released after the woman came forward and admitted she made everything up. Banks had a short career with the Atlanta Falcons.

Just thought I would share as I just recently came across the show. I’m not implying that I think AG is innocent because of what happened to BB.

http://www.oxygen.com/final-appeal/videos

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
Unfortunately prosecution officers are elected and dependent on public opinion. Bias toward maintaining or enhancing power is to some degree in every decision they make.
that is a very cynical view of the justice system. Of course the DAs themselves are elected. Their assistants are not. Defense lawyers are not. Most of them on both sides labor in an imperfect system. And that means if the prosecution doesn't have the evidence to prosecute, they most likely will not. " Most likely: meaning yes, sometimes you get a prosecutor who wants to get elected -- the Duke lacrosse scandal is a perfect example, but keep in mind it was an elected prosecutor who dismissed all charges and publicly absolved the players. The offending DA was disbarred. It is the exception that proves the rule.

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
How about some data? That always seems to help. See:

https://www.bjs.gov/content/pub/pdf/fdluc09.pdf

Then goto Table 21 and look at the first line. There you'll find that almost all felony defendants who are convicted plead guilty. You'll also see that of the 26% who are not convicted fully 23% had their cases dismissed by the prosecutors before trial. If they were always going for blood, they'd take all to trial and hang the costs. I might add that this doesn't include the number of arrests that aren't brought forward by prosecutors after an initial look. That depends on the jurisdiction, but it is seldom less then 30%.

Deleted member 2897

Just another woman wanting major $$$$:rolleyes::mad: Just ask Peyton Manning about that:)

The charges may very well be legit.

HOWEVER, how did we get to this point where after all this time (remember it was investigated for months before he was arrested) the DA STILL doesn’t know if he will actually charge Gotsis. HUH?!?!??? You should not arrest someone after a multi-months long investigation if you have no intention of charging him. “they haven’t decided if they think there’s any evidence to go forward or not”

WHAT?

If I were Adam, I would think about suing the DA and Fulton County.

MikeJackets1967

Helluva Engineer

HOWEVER, how did we get to this point where after all this time (remember it was investigated for months before he was arrested) the DA STILL doesn’t know if he will actually charge Gotsis. HUH?!?!??? You should not arrest someone after a multi-months long investigation if you have no intention of charging him. “they haven’t decided if they think there’s any evidence to go forward or not”

WHAT?

Great point,Bwelbo,i agree with you;)(y)

YJMD

Helluva Engineer

WHAT?

It's definitely strange, and regardless if he is not in jail awaiting charges, the delay is very certainly impacting his livelihood. My guess is they had desire to charge him, but started to have second thoughts when things hit the press and his legal team started to push back. Now they don't want a misstep and are perhaps trying to materialize more evidence. But I agree that Adam needs to push back against that. I say this without opinion as to his guilt. I don't think there's anyone here who could really ascertain that.