Adam Gotsis arrested

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
The charges may very well be legit.

HOWEVER, how did we get to this point where after all this time (remember it was investigated for months before he was arrested) the DA STILL doesn’t know if he will actually charge Gotsis. HUH?!?!??? You should not arrest someone after a multi-months long investigation if you have no intention of charging him. “they haven’t decided if they think there’s any evidence to go forward or not”

WHAT?

If I were Adam, I would think about suing the DA and Fulton County.

You only need probable cause to arrest, and the testimony of a victim can be considered probable cause. To prosecute, you either need proof beyond reasonable doubt, or preponderance of the evidence. (In criminal cases it's reasonable doubt, whereas if this were to go to civil court it would be preponderance of the evidence, which is a lighter burden of proof, but also means lighter "punishment" as well) Once arrested, however, there has to be a point where the DA either decides to go ahead with the case, or drops it for lack of evidence. (If he drops it now, he can resume it later if more evidence becomes available)

At some point soon, the DA will have to make a decision to comply with the constitutional right to a speedy trial. (Interesting legal point here, although Gotsis is not a US Citizen, the Constitution has historically afforded Constitutional protections to non-US Citizens accused of crimes, excepting military combatants and terrorist suspects)

The best thing for Gotsis is to let this play out in the legal system and not try to make waves. IMO, it's a better look to wait patiently for a dropped case than to sue for false arrest.

*Just want to add I presume nothing on his Innocence/Guilt in this matter, except that all are to presumed innocent until proven otherwise in a court of law.

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
Don’t ask that on KQ’s board. I did and instantly got a lecture from him.
I said hopefully no one on staff covered anything up. We’ve all seen the **** show at Michigan St. Again. I’m not saying it happened or it did.

Coach Johnson carrying anyone's water much less a football player is not likely. I really think that he would boot a player off the team and see to it that said player was tossed out of school as well. One of these days, men will learn that "no" means just that. On the other hand, it is very suspicious that this comes out 5 years after the fact and said perpetrator is not some clerk at the local Dollar Store but a professional football player making more money in a year than 95% of people will see in a lifetime. Funny, how it often works out that way. One caveat, I have a daughter so my view of this is skewed to be sure.

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
https://www.myajc.com/sports/colleg...P/?utm_medium=social&utm_source=techsports_fb

Former Georgia Tech football player Adam Gotsis has been charged with strongarm rape for a sexual assault alleged to have taken place in March 2013, when he was enrolled at Tech. Through his attorney, Gotsis maintained that the allegations are false.

Gotsis has been a defensive lineman for the Denver Broncos since he was drafted by the team in April 2016. According to police, the alleged victim came to Atlanta police in February of this year to report a sexual assault, which she stated occurred after she and Gotsis met through a mutual friend and attended a party together March 9, 2013. After the party, Gotsis took the alleged victim to his home and raped her, according to the statement given to police.

Last Wednesday, investigators secured a warrant for Gotsis, who turned himself into Fulton County jail the same day. He was released on $50,000 bond the same day.

Gotsis’ Atlanta-based lawyer, Sara Becker, said in a statement that Gotsis first became aware of the accusations in February.

“We immediately reached out to law enforcement and have proactively cooperated with all aspects of the investigation while maintaining communication with the team,” Becker’s statement read. “While we were disappointed to learn of the turn the investigation was taking, we steadfastly maintain that the allegations are false. We will continue to advocate strongly for Adam's innocence.”

A Tech spokesman said that the school learned of the arrest Monday and had no more information, directing further questions to the Atlanta Police Department.

Smart move getting a woman defense attorney. We will see how this plays out. A deal will probably be made to make her go away.

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
Side comment, but has a purpose. If you never have sex with anybody other than your husband/wife, you’ll never have to worry about he-says/she-says. I’m not saying they did or didn’t, just food for thought...

True. My father, an ever flowing fountain of wisdom gleaned from service in the Navy and going to Georgia Tech, once told me: "Keep your dipstick where it belongs, and you will not be caught in embarrassing circumstances because then you will be on your own".

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
As a woman on this forum I can only speak for myself and I assure you that if there is anything said about this subject, including the Pastner issue, that I find objectionable I will certainly speak up.

That being said, I personally have issues with the current trend of #metoo, especially when an extended period of time has passed since the alledged event/events were to have occurred. I'm not saying that this woman accusing AG is making a false accusation but I would like to know what the statute of limitations is on a charge like this.

That is a good point. What is the statue of limitations on this sort of thing? I know with a certain segment of society, the statue of limitations on trying to make a quick buck is practically limitless.

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
Yes it should. But you may be granting too much weight to accusers.

I get where you are coming from but I don’t think you see the whole picture. I have friends that spent quite a bit of time investigating SVU (special victims - including sex assault) cases. I’ve seen a little and heard a lot.

Sometimes false allegations are made. Like I said before, fairly frequently. So why? Here are some examples. The wife that got a “happy ending” at a legit massage spa, then felt guilty about it, told her husband in guilt but claimed she was assaulted. Husband called police and investigation began. Only for the wife to finally admit to PD that she had consented to the contact but told her husband half the story out of guilt.

Other such scenarios, adulterous wife caught but claims rape rather than admit adultery. The daughter that doesn’t want to admit sex activity to parents so claims assault, etc.

It happens. So often that it has been coined “regret sex” by investigators.

That doesn’t mean real rapes don’t occur. They do and are heinous. And SVU investigators I know live to take those scum down. But they also fairly frequently deal with regret sex. More so than legit rapes according to them.

Whiskey you are saying that your apparently well informed sources, indicate that the number of "regret sex" is more frequent than legit rapes? That is disturbing that people will lie and not consider the consequences of destroying another person's life and reputation out of convenience. What is the world coming to?

YJMD

Helluva Engineer
You only need probable cause to arrest, and the testimony of a victim can be considered probable cause. To prosecute, you either need proof beyond reasonable doubt, or preponderance of the evidence. (In criminal cases it's reasonable doubt, whereas if this were to go to civil court it would be preponderance of the evidence, which is a lighter burden of proof, but also means lighter "punishment" as well) Once arrested, however, there has to be a point where the DA either decides to go ahead with the case, or drops it for lack of evidence. (If he drops it now, he can resume it later if more evidence becomes available)

At some point soon, the DA will have to make a decision to comply with the constitutional right to a speedy trial. (Interesting legal point here, although Gotsis is not a US Citizen, the Constitution has historically afforded Constitutional protections to non-US Citizens accused of crimes, excepting military combatants and terrorist suspects)

The best thing for Gotsis is to let this play out in the legal system and not try to make waves. IMO, it's a better look to wait patiently for a dropped case than to sue for false arrest.

*Just want to add I presume nothing on his Innocence/Guilt in this matter, except that all are to presumed innocent until proven otherwise in a court of law.

All of this is true, but I would point out that the investigation had been going on for months before the arrest. The probable cause existed for a while, so the decision to arrest was based on something (we don't know what) happening.

I also think your advice for Gotsis makes sense and might be the reason for him not pushing back harder or publicly despite the delay. Drawing noise could be counter to his personal life and career, even if he might win a case.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
I had her for two years at Langford. She, Elizabeth Orwell, and Ruth McAuliffe were the best teachers I ever had anywhere

i hated english and got C in avery gt class.
Did great in all other classes.

When i graduated, first i was officer in army, then engineer at exxon, then vp at engr company, and finally ownned engineering company.

All i did was write!

i hated english and got C in avery gt class.
Did great in all other classes.

When i graduated, first i was officer in army, then engineer at exxon, then vp at engr company, and finally ownned engineering company.

All i did was write!
I don't even remember English classes at Tech, but I assume I had at least 3 quarters worth of them. Sounds like you have done pretty well for yourself in spite of your dislike for English.

Whiskey_Clear

Banned

An accusation alone is not and has never constituted probable cause.

I’m not certain of this but it sounds as if the DA has not presented this case to the grand jury yet. I think this is the decision the DA is weighing. Whether to present it for a no bill or to seek trial.

Once the case goes goes before the grand jury, if billed, his team should ask for a speedy trial imo.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
sorry about the caps and short hand on swarm - lazy and no feeling in finger tips.

english
At gt i learned u must have read the book before u write the report for a ga tech professor. Baffle w bs max grade C minus ( First grade at Gt = F w note Please read the assignment.
As a combat army office i learned to write in a patrol orders = nothing left to doubt.
At Exxon - learned the grammar nerds ruled and content was secondary.

Also learned to shorten letters and executive summaries as if you are at an airport and about to get on plane.

At my Engr company learned and taught letter only needs to say - What, Why, How, and What Now.

As owner - hired a couple of vp who could fix the engineers reports without embarrassing them .

I STILL CANT WRITE!