Adam Gotsis arrested

GTJoeBrew

Helluva Engineer
Just to be clear, he has not been charged yet. Supposedly, there is a team that has been put together to decide if formal charges should be placed. The fact that articles are being posted claiming that he has been charged is not true. Some of the articles are stating that "police say he raped." Sickening. This will all work itself out whether true or not, but it's concerning to me that so many people have already decided on his guilt/innocence. This should have been kept quiet until a charge decision had been made.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
Just to be clear, he has not been charged yet. Supposedly, there is a team that has been put together to decide if formal charges should be placed. The fact that articles are being posted claiming that he has been charged is not true. Some of the articles are stating that "police say he raped." Sickening. This will all work itself out whether true or not, but it's concerning to me that so many people have already decided on his guilt/innocence. This should have been kept quiet until a charge decision had been made.
(jump on soap box)

I love everything about AG's story at GT, one of my all time favorite players. I sure hope he didn't do it, I'd be crushed if he did. Not sure if we'll ever know the truth.

Now, imagine if this had happened to a former mutt player? eh. We'd be ready to string his arse up and we wouldn't be hearing any of this due process/disgust of media/disgust over guilty in the court of public opinion/this should have been kept quiet stuff.

We rush to Adam's defense just as bad as the "media" rushes to his guilt. The world has turned into a believe what you want to believe society, facts be damned. It hasn't always been this way. It's a shame.

(jump off soap box)

Now, does anybody have anymore facts on this story?

Deleted member 2897

(jump on soap box)

I love everything about AG's story at GT, one of my all time favorite players. I sure hope he didn't do it, I'd be crushed if he did. Not sure if we'll ever know the truth.

Now, imagine if this had happened to a former mutt player? eh. We'd be ready to string his arse up and we wouldn't be hearing any of this due process/disgust of media/disgust over guilty in the court of public opinion/this should have been kept quiet stuff.

We rush to Adam's defense just as bad as the "media" rushes to his guilt. The world has turned into a believe what you want to believe society, facts be damned. It hasn't always been this way. It's a shame.

(jump off soap box)

Now, does anybody have anymore facts on this story?

Well, when you have something like 30 players arrested in the last several years and a graduation rate that is second to last in P5, its normal human nature to assume its more of the same.

When you have a school that is massively more on the straight and narrow like us, its also human nature to make logical assumptions.

Deleted member 2897

The Atlanta PD (going from memory in the article) has been investigating the accuser's reported rape for a month. So I highly doubt that after all this time they would arrest him and then ultimately decide to do nothing about it. If they don't press charges, something is really wrong inside Atlanta PD.

jgtengineer

Helluva Engineer
The Atlanta PD (going from memory in the article) has been investigating the accuser's reported rape for a month. So I highly doubt that after all this time they would arrest him and then ultimately decide to do nothing about it. If they don't press charges, something is really wrong inside Atlanta PD.

The APD is full of people, given the current climate in the media with regards to sexual assault they could have made the arrest to keep themselves off the bad end of PR. Its wrong and incorrect to do that but the APD has had a pretty bad set of years with regards to PR, they could have simply determined yeah it could have happened so we will make the arrest to avoid **** later. Unfortunately this isn't really that uncommon in higher profile cases.

YJMD

Helluva Engineer
If he has been arrested after a month long investigation, then they wouldn't do so without intent to bring charges. While that's done by the DA, I doubt police are going to arrest someone for a 5 year old crime that they've been investigating for a month without communicating with the DAs office first, especially if they are a public figure with access to good attorneys. This does not mean he is guilty nor that evidence other than witness testimony exists. I hope he is in fact innocent and hate when one of our current or former SAs fails to represent the institute well. I do think, however, anyone at this time discrediting the woman bringing charges is in the wrong. Sure there is motive to lie, but that alone means little. Unfortunately, it is by far much more common that victims of sexual assault keep the incident secret. Imagine if Adam is guilty (I have no way of knowing), how would you feel to be the victim bringing charges and facing attack for doing so? That fear may be a factor in victims staying silent overall. Since this is a case being pursued, all we can do is wait.

Edit: I want to clarify that this is vastly different than the CJP allegations which are not under criminal investigation that I know of and are abundantly filled with public information and history and levied by a person with a known motive and track record of directly undermining a person's character.

GTJoeBrew

Helluva Engineer
If he was booked into the jail an released on bond he has been charged.

You can be held for questioning for a day or so without a charge and would simply be released if not charged.

Bonding out requires a charge to have been filed.
https://www.denverpost.com/2018/03/13/adam-gotsis-rape-accusation-investigation/

A special unit within the Fulton County District Attorney’s office will decide whether to formally charge Broncos defensive end Adam Gotsis with rape or any other crime, officials say.

Atlanta police arrested Gotsis Wednesday for investigation of allegations he raped a woman in Georgia in 2013 while he was a member of the Georgia Tech football team.

The Crimes Against Women and Children unit will determine whether to file formal criminal charges against Gotsis and if so what they will be, Chris Hopper, spokesperson for District Attorney Paul Howard Jr., said on Tuesday.

Deleted member 2897

That article says he was charged and that pending the completion of the investigation they'll then determine or not whether to formally charge him. What is the purpose of arresting him and then letting him go if you don't know if you're going to actually pursue charges? Why wouldn't you wait until you determine first if you think you have a case to charge him? This whole thing is mind boggling to me, in my judicial ignorance.

ClydeBrick

Ramblin' Wreck
Fulton County Jail info says otherwise:

25935983537_fe537c162c_z.jpg

GTJoeBrew

Helluva Engineer
That article says he was charged and that pending the completion of the investigation they'll then determine or not whether to formally charge him. What is the purpose of arresting him and then letting him go if you don't know if you're going to actually pursue charges? Why wouldn't you wait until you determine first if you think you have a case to charge him? This whole thing is mind boggling to me, in my judicial ignorance.
I know, crazy. I suspect there is much more to come with this story.

doug

Georgia Tech Fan
Adam Gotsis had a warrant for his arrest for an alleged rape. He turned himself in, was processed at the jail, had bond set at $50,000, posted the bail amount, and was released from jail.

The district attorney's office now has the case and is in the process of drafting an indictment which will be presented to the grand jury. The indictment may just be for the rape charge Gotsis currently faces or it may be include further charges that the DA's office determines may be appropriate after their own investigation. The DA's office is who officially decides what to charge a defendant with-- the DA is not bound by whatever charges the police initially charge, although in most cases the DA does just stick with the original police charges.

So when the news articles talk about "formal charges" they are referencing an indictment that will be presented to the grand jury. It will then be up to the grand jury to decide if there is enough evidence to proceed. Grand juries almost always choose to indict, so expect that to happen if the Fulton DAs office chooses to go forward with the case after its investigation.

I hope that clears up the confusion.

smathis30

Ramblin' Wreck
It's important to note that 85% of sexual assaults come from people the victim already knows. Drunken one night stands aren't the usual cause. Highly doubt there was a rape kit done so texts and a he said she said are the likely verdict. I'm guessing this was influenced by the #metoo movement due to the timing of it, and from a quick google search, most studies show that anywhere from 2-10% are the likely false claims rates, so that's why people tend to believe the accuser, similar to how it is in most crimes until the warrant is issued. It's a waiting in the facts game until then

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
I think there is a difference between a woman sexually harassed on the job who feels she has to put up with it to make her career...and Hollywood actresses. These people stood up and gave speeches at awards shows showering praise upon people like Harvey Weinstein. When guys who were abusers won awards, people cheered violently. Just listen to the volume of the applause and cheering when Woody Allen wins awards. Known abusers. Its one thing to be too scared to report an assault. Its another to go out of your way celebrating the bad guys. That's my opinion on it. May sound a bit like splitting hairs, but its hard for me to equate multi-millionaires who use their public platforms to celebrate abusers with working women around the country who have no voice.
I think you're leaving a major part of the first story. Weinstein was, as I said, very careful around major women stars and did everything he could to make their path to his films as carefree as possible. This makes excellent sense from his standpoint; he needed these women. Some of them - Sarandon, if I remember right - said that they had heard rumors, but his behavior with them strongly contradicted them. That's why so many of the great female stars professed to be shocked at hearing the allegations against him. Weinstein preyed mostly on rising actresses or staffers who had much less in the way of resources to resist and who had every reason to keep their mouths shut. I.e. he wasn't a fool when he went out to harass women.

Woody Allen is different. First, unlike Weinstein, he's a great artist and people want to work with him regardless of the allegations against him. Further, he has steadily denied all the allegations against him and the original criminal investigation came up with pretty much nothing. Sure, there's plenty of reason to be suspicious; I wouldn't let him near my granddaughter if she was an adolescent. But that's not enough to make people publicly shame him, especially since folks in the arts are usually willing to cut great artists some slack. Many of them are not nice people. Their art, however, stands apart from that.

Deleted member 2897

I think you're leaving a major part of the first story. Weinstein was, as I said, very careful around major women stars and did everything he could to make their path to his films as carefree as possible. This makes excellent sense from his standpoint; he needed these women. Some of them - Sarandon, if I remember right - said that they had heard rumors, but his behavior with them strongly contradicted them. That's why so many of the great female stars professed to be shocked at hearing the allegations against him. Weinstein preyed mostly on rising actresses or staffers who had much less in the way of resources to resist and who had every reason to keep their mouths shut. I.e. he wasn't a fool when he went out to harass women.

Woody Allen is different. First, unlike Weinstein, he's a great artist and people want to work with him regardless of the allegations against him. Further, he has steadily denied all the allegations against him and the original criminal investigation came up with pretty much nothing. Sure, there's plenty of reason to be suspicious; I wouldn't let him near my granddaughter if she was an adolescent. But that's not enough to make people publicly shame him, especially since folks in the arts are usually willing to cut great artists some slack. Many of them are not nice people. Their art, however, stands apart from that.

Susan Sarandon is on record stating she knows of many sexual predators in Hollywood including Harvey Weinstein. But yet she still won't name names. And that's what I mean. Woody Allen is my exact point - "people want to work with him regardless of the allegations". That's exactly what I'm getting at. Remember, Harvey Weinstein has not been convicted of anything and still claims his innocence.

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
Susan Sarandon is on record stating she knows of many sexual predators in Hollywood including Harvey Weinstein. But yet she still won't name names. And that's what I mean. Woody Allen is my exact point - "people want to work with him regardless of the allegations". That's exactly what I'm getting at. Remember, Harvey Weinstein has not been convicted of anything and still claims his innocence.
1. That's probably because she doesn't have any solid evidence and doesn't want to get sued. I could name sexual predators in Hollywood, you know.

2. Neither has Allen. It isn't hypocritical or even unusual to applaud people who you suspect of sexual abuse if you have other reasons for doing it . (See Trump, Donald.) What people are applauding about Allen is the art, not him a a person. I can see that you think that's a bad thing, even if there's no solid proof of any abuse on his part. Ok. But until there is I can see the view that his talent trumps (no pun intended) the need to publicly shame him.

Animal02

Banned
Yes it should. But you may be granting too much weight to accusers.

I get where you are coming from but I don’t think you see the whole picture. I have friends that spent quite a bit of time investigating SVU (special victims - including sex assault) cases. I’ve seen a little and heard a lot.

Sometimes false allegations are made. Like I said before, fairly frequently. So why? Here are some examples. The wife that got a “happy ending” at a legit massage spa, then felt guilty about it, told her husband in guilt but claimed she was assaulted. Husband called police and investigation began. Only for the wife to finally admit to PD that she had consented to the contact but told her husband half the story out of guilt.

Other such scenarios, adulterous wife caught but claims rape rather than admit adultery. The daughter that doesn’t want to admit sex activity to parents so claims assault, etc.

It happens. So often that it has been coined “regret sex” by investigators.

That doesn’t mean real rapes don’t occur. They do and are heinous. And SVU investigators I know live to take those scum down. But they also fairly frequently deal with regret sex. More so than legit rapes according to them.
Then there is the divorce action claims. I was accused of raping my then 2 y.o. daughter, among other things.