AD Hire: J Batt

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
President Cabrera did say that GTAA will be part of the next campaign for the institute. Cabrera most likely shared his thoughts with Batt as to what amount of money will be directed to Athletics as part of that campaign. I do not see Batt coming here unless that number was significant enough to help GT elevate its sports programs across the board.

This is great news for those of us who have been wishing for the Hill to properly fund athletics.
AC sees the debt and the coming MEDIA driven football realignment. Its Up or Out for Gt.

GTrob21

Helluva Engineer
For being so smart, Tech people constantly amaze me at how dumb some of you are. This is a great hire! He has been successful at raising money, which is what we need, everywhere he has gone. He has the brand of the best football college in the US, and he is coming to Tech.

The more I read bout him, the more excited I get.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
For being so smart, Tech people constantly amaze me at how dumb some of you are. This is a great hire! He has been successful at raising money, which is what we need, everywhere he has gone. He has the brand of the best football college in the US, and he is coming to Tech.

The more I read bout him, the more excited I get.

I'm not sure some GT fans actually want to be happy.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
So, if he's successful here I suppose we hold on to him for five or six years and he's off to UNC. See, I can find a dark cloud to cover y'all's silver lining with almost no effort! ;)

...or Batt turns GT into a powerhouse in all sports and GT is seen as a better job than UNC!

85Escape

Helluva Engineer
As I've digested this strong rumor this morning, I'm starting to like the potential of this hire. No idea if he'll work out, but the logic behind the hire seems very solid. It also gives me hope that we'll see support for the football team that has been sorely lacking.

In particular, I have hope that we'll see a professionalization (is that a word?) of the GTAA and the FB program with regards to talent. Getting the funding necessary to hire top-notch talent in non-coaching roles seems to be a requirement to win now. Hopefully we'll see a big increase in the number of support staff for both football and basketball.

85Escape

Helluva Engineer
So only interview people who went to Georgia Tech! That worked so well last time!
Lol. Nope. Just speculating on if we can retain him if he proves to be very successful. How much of a stepping stone are we for AD's? We seem to lose them if they are good and have to fire them when they are bad.

bikeseat

GT Athlete
I think the strange self-loathing GT fans have is more off putting to sidewalk fans than anything.

President Cabrera just dropped his D on the table and hired the #2 guy from arguably the best athletic association in the country and fans are crying about how he's not going to be any good because of the Org he worked for was a high performing organization when he got there.
You wouldn't say that a developer sucks because he works for Microsoft and they're the biggest game in town and that makes it easy. He was hired by MSFT because he was the best and they could afford the best. Same principle here...nobody is slipping through the cracks to be the deputy AD at Bama lol.

The days of looking at candidates from Oregon State, App State, Army etc. appear to be finally over.

Hopefully this means the days of GT AA being a coupon clipping organization is over. No longer will we be wearing Russell tube socks so to speak

BleedGoldNWhite21

Helluva Engineer
I like this hire. I don’t think he’s going to give Key special treatment in the HC search, but I do think a previous relationship with Key could be a strong positive if Key continues to win and the smartest move seems to be to keep Key. There would be certain ADs who want their guy no matter what and move on even if Key was to go 8-0*. Hopefully, we won’t have to worry about a situation like that since they already have some familiarity.

*This is not a prediction that we will win our last 8 games.

GTLorenzo

Helluva Engineer
Who all signed off on this hire? Was it a committee or just the Pres.

AJC is reporting that its a done deal

Supposedly a board meeting to approve and then an announcement later today or tomorrow.

I like it. I like that he's worked at big schools and small schools. In the ACC and SEC. Has a fundraising background. Clearly, Cabrera told him he will get the resources he needs. Will it be a home run? Who knows, but he has the background to make it work. Let's all get on the train and support him and see what he can do.

LongforDodd

LatinxBreakfastTacos
Something tells me Cabrera specifically went outside of the GT family. He wanted someone to look at GTAA with a fresh set of eyes.
I wonder if the Pres has secured at least a verbal agreement from the Hill that they are going to pitch in to make this work. I would imagine any candidate is aware of this part of the equation and would want some sort of, at a minimum, an acknowledgement of the problem that the Hill presents and that something is being done to mitigate this problem.

85Escape

Helluva Engineer
So can I call him Jeronimo then?

Ya know, solve for 'J'? Can't leave equations unsolved, of course.
1665769264939.png

slugboy

Staff member
I wonder if the Pres has secured at least a verbal agreement from the Hill that they are going to pitch in to make this work. I would imagine any candidate is aware of this part of the equation and would want some sort of, at a minimum, an acknowledgement of the problem that the Hill presents and that something is being done to mitigate this problem.
The Hill is Cabrera’s Hill. His office sits on top of the Hill.
The Board of Regents is another story, but he put a senior member of the Hill in charge of this search. Cabrera has already shown the Hill wants this fixed

roadkill

Helluva Engineer
The Hill is Cabrera’s Hill. His office sits on top of the Hill.
The Board of Regents is another story, but he put a senior member of the Hill in charge of this search. Cabrera has already shown the Hill wants this fixed
I was about to say, Isn't Cabrera basically "The Hill"?