AD Hire: J Batt

AUFC

Helluva Engineer
I’ll say this: It appears he had a massive part in running the football program as well as other sports. This is ****ing huge
Running the Bama football program is like tapping in a 3 footer for par.

Running Georgia Tech football is like sticking a 200 yard draw around a tree within 10 feet with the Masters on the line.

I wouldn’t try to glean much from Bama’s success.

TooTall

Helluva Engineer
Yeah, Collins was considered a great recruiter b/c of what he did at Bama. Key a great OL coach as well. Hell Trent Richardson almost won a Heisman while being one of the worst NFL RBs in the league during his short career. Gotta be weary of people being elite when surrounded by elite.
A.) C****** was a director of player personal at Bama for 1 year. His recruiting might was based by the 2007 class here at GT.
B.) The Heisman Trophy is for the best college player, not NFL
C.) just stop and think before you post again

SidewalkJacket

Helluva Engineer
I think this will be a good scenario for CBK. I can imagine the two having familiarity with each other will make the conversation about the rest of the season and CBK's chances to get the HC job easier. Doesn't mean he'll have a better shot at it, but I bet it will be easy for the two to sit down together and decide what CBK truly needs to be successful, and what the new AD expects to see out of CBK the rest of the year.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
Just getting out ahead of the game. Not sure if you know this or not but the GTAAs track record of hiring AD's ain't great. Since HR 3 out 4 have been total wiffs and even Drad is questionable and disliked by many. I'm not falling for it again and will be skeptical until I see results, improvements, non-screw ups that are totally controllable (getting us on probation for something stupid, ridiculous contracts), etc.
If he is good at bama and then good at gt, he will be gone like gibbs.
I am going to double down - just glad the guy that focused on trivial is gone.

I am ecstatic that we have a prez that says its Personal that gt sports has what it needs to be excellent.

I think they - will be asking each of us for support. H

We need to support Angel.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
WOW...great news to log on to. I wanted a guy from a smaller school who had to do "less with more". Jay Batt has that experience from ECU, and before that he has extensive experience raising awareness and fundraising for other schools. Combine that with being part of the brains that runs the 'Bama athletic machine, on paper this is an absolute home run hire for GT. Guys like this usually wait for their turn at a big program, or for another big program to scoop them up.

If this gets done, you have to give Cabrera credit. He's following through with his promise that our athletics needs to match our academics. Hiring Batt away from 'Bama reiterates that message.

Oakland

Helluva Engineer
This is a good hire and I believe a guy like this can revive the football and men's basketball programs. Now we need to get some rear ends in the stadium for Thursday night. I'm feeling much better about the direction that we are going with football now. Go Jackets.

Side note: Don't get upset with this comment, but even though we can afford it now, I suspect we'll see a women's soccer team in a few years. The AD is a former soccer player for UNC.

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
Batt is exactly what we need. Young up and coming AD, former collegiate athlete so understands the players lives. He was behind a $600 million fundraising campaign for athletics for bama within the last year. Great thing is he’s seen the bama NIL program and how it works and can bring a similar thing to tech.
Can he get rid of debt rather than creating more?

TooTall

Helluva Engineer
Can he get rid of debt rather than creating more?
Fan giving is tops when paying off debt. I know that there has been a very nice increase in giving since G*** C****** has been fired. We have to think IPTAY way and that those $10 to $100 donations really do add up. Or else well look like the Cleveland Indians outfield wall when Owner Roger Dorn had to cover it with proctology ads to meet payroll.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
One thing the hiring of Jay Batt can also do: Potentially give GT a bigger and better pool of better HFC candidates.

Batt is probably a signal that GT is about to get serious about football (and other sports). I'm quite certain Batt didn't take the job without guarantees about funding his department. Potential HFCs will probably take GT's interest more seriously knowing Batt is going to give them the resources to finally fulfill the "sleeping giant" reputation we've had for a while now.

Not gonna lie...this has totally made my day and weekend.

Last edited: