ACC Tournament

Deleted member 2897

This ball was played perfectly by Peurifoy. Just inches for getting it.

Yup, 2 swings of the bat equalled 5 RBI yesterday and that was it. And only 3 of those base runners were from hits. The rest of the game we held them at bay. It was a sorry season with no luck since like month 1.

FredJacket

Helluva Engineer
Clemsoning to Duke 3-6. That has to hurt and I'd rather have had Clemson win. But Clemson will be a lower NCAA seed. For a while it looked like they were a host.
Yes; but for this tournament, this sets things up for UVA. Their game tomorrow morning (1st of tourney for them) v Duke, will be the one that matters to get them to Sat. So win that, they're in & they probably have a full bullpen available for Sat/Sun. Friday.. they play Clemson & can rest folks.

....Unless they think the outcome of all these games has seeding implications for NCAAs.

That begs another question... does the committee look at any results of the "meaningless" games differently? Or is it simply another game (won or lost) on the resume?

FredJacket

Helluva Engineer
6740A448-515D-432A-AFF4-18FB0EC2E2AC.jpg
Rain delayed the start of Wednesday's games in Louisville. Made my way down to Louisville Slugger Museum....including a tour of the factory.

Definitely a very cool thing to see. Perfect combination of baseball history & the evolution of technology/engineering in making wooden baseball bats.

So...mark that down as a positive for having this event spend a year away from North Carolina.

senoiajacket

Helluva Engineer
Wonder if CDH & Wake coach could get together & agree not to play it. Probably not, this ain't 13&14 babe Ruth league. Man would Miami be pissed if that happened.

Deleted member 2897

Wonder if CDH & Wake coach could get together & agree not to play it. Probably not, this ain't 13&14 babe Ruth league. Man would Miami be pissed if that happened.

Well, another option is to just throw 3 strikes over and over and over but we walk guys around the bases once. Could probably finish an entire game in 20 minutes.

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Well, another option is to just throw 3 strikes over and over and over but we walk guys around the bases once. Could probably finish an entire game in 20 minutes.

We can always strike the batters a few times. Saves pitches.

I hope rational people prevail and we just don't play.

The %&^%&^&^#% RayCom Sports affiliate in my area is showing other things, like game shows, rather than the ACC tourney. So it's blacked out on ACC Network and not available where it should be :(

Update: LMAO the ND FSU game is in extra innings.

Last edited:

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
We can't not play, it would be unfair to the other teams in our bracket.

I understand your comment in theory, but in practice I think the impact on Wake would be minimal.

I think the problem is the game format and time of scheduling which has been discussed. But trying to get 12 teams a "fair" shake in 5 days on one field (the original plan) probably isn't possible.

All that said though, I would like to see Wake win the bracket and wouldn't mind screwing Miami if we could.

Deleted member 2897

I understand your comment in theory, but in practice I think the impact on Wake would be minimal.

I think the problem is the game format and time of scheduling which has been discussed. But trying to get 12 teams a "fair" shake in 5 days on one field (the original plan) probably isn't possible.

All that said though, I would like to see Wake win the bracket and wouldn't mind screwing Miami if we could.

Yea this entire scheduling is nonsensical. We give byes to the top teams in the basketball tournament. And rightly so. They earned them through a brutal regular season. The ACC baseball season is long and brutal too. If you have a round robin and the 2 bottom seeds have to go 2-0 in order to advance, by definition that is a bye for the top seeded team. Having them play a second game of which the outcome doesn't matter is insane. Imagine if North Carolina didn't get a bye in the basketball tournament, but had a play-in game that didn't matter. Huh? The ACC is stupid for many reasons, and this is one more.

FredJacket

Helluva Engineer

Thinking of Wake, specifically. I have not paid attention to the national seed picture enough to know. However, I believe at one point this season, the ACC had 3 projected national seeds: Lou, UNC, Clem. You think Wake could enter that discussion with 4-0 run this weekend?

Gives "meaning" to their game against us today which happens to be their 1st game of the 4 they could play.

THWG

Helluva Engineer
Thinking of Wake, specifically. I have not paid attention to the national seed picture enough to know. However, I believe at one point this season, the ACC had 3 projected national seeds: Lou, UNC, Clem. You think Wake could enter that discussion with 4-0 run this weekend?

Gives "meaning" to their game against us today which happens to be their 1st game of the 4 they could play.
Wake will definitely be a regional host, but in order for them to be a national seed, I think that they need to win the ACC tourney (not necessarily go 4-0).

FredJacket

Helluva Engineer
So did part of the UNC game get played last night? I can't find any details, but it must have if it is scheduled for 11 and ours at 12. This seems really strange.
No. Only game played at all was FSU v ND. See fine print. The NOON games today & tomorrow are being played at U of L's baseball field.

SUCKS for me (a customer) here to see the entire tournament. But it's no surprise that baseball games are greatly impacted by weather... and they put together this plan. I'll live.

Last edited: