ACC Tournament

RoosterJacket

Ramblin' Wreck
GT is in a pool with Wake and Miami. We beat each of them 1 time at their fields, but really should've won 2/3 against them both. I at least feel like we have a chance whereas had we been 11th or 12th, I would've been completely hopeless.

Lee and Curry will get the starts. Would be great to get Bart and Murray back if possible, but I'm not expecting either to play. I saw Murray walking around this weekend and he was limping pretty badly.

The game schedules have not been set. CDH said in the pregame interview he will know the game times tomorrow.

THWG

Helluva Engineer
For some unknown reason, I like our chances with Wake Forest and Miami. I feel like we have a good chance to advance to the semifinals.

MWBATL

Helluva Engineer
Once you get past Jake Lee, we have NO pitching. If we get lucky, Lee pitches us to one win. If he isn't sharp, we lose both games.

Seriously, we just gave up, what, 33 runs in 3 games? And you guys are optimistic? Huh?

senoiajacket

Helluva Engineer
Once you get past Jake Lee, we have NO pitching. If we get lucky, Lee pitches us to one win. If he isn't sharp, we lose both games.

Seriously, we just gave up, what, 33 runs in 3 games? And you guys are optimistic? Huh?
Yeah, and even lee has only had a couple of (really) good outing in a row. Before Pitt he wasn't really that consistent .

FredJacket

Helluva Engineer

It is hard to think we can do what it takes to beat WF & Miami in succession. On the other hand, it IS certainly possible. Luck would be nice.. but not required, either. If we play (especially pitch) really well in those 2 games, we'll make the semis.

As for Lee, it just feels like he's "found" something. Let's play the games & see what happens.

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Wake is a push over. They are only better in fielding (51st to our 164th), ERA (85th to our 175th) and scoring (11th to our 56th). http://stats.ncaa.org/rankings/rank...ng_period=69&sport_code=MBA&team_individual=T http://stats.ncaa.org/rankings/rank...ng_period=69&sport_code=MBA&team_individual=T

But we have beaten better teams this year. Just not consistently and certainly not the 4 games in a row it will take to win the ACC tourney. I think we are likely to take one of two - largely since it's baseball.

RoosterJacket

Ramblin' Wreck
I don't think we will win both games, BUT at least we have a chance with WF and MIA. I doubt either team will pitch their best pitcher versus us, so that should work in our favor. Wake is a very good offensive team; however, their offensive numbers are probably a little inflated due to their very small home field. They have not been just incredible on the road this season. Miami has been really bad offensively (although we made them look pretty good).

Considering the type of season we've had, this is possibly the best scenario for us this week. We will need to score 6+ runs in each game, play error free (or at least not make critical errors), and make the other team hit the ball--can't give up more than 3 BB + HBP in the games. If, and that's a huge if, we can do that, I feel pretty good about our chances vs WF and Miami. We also probably have to overcome our coaching....

65Jacket

GT Athlete
Have you guys been able to listen to Jim Poole's color commentary on out baseball broadcasts? I have enjoyed what he had to say, and with his MLB experience, I wonder if he would be a fit as our pitching coach.

FredJacket

Helluva Engineer
Have you guys been able to listen to Jim Poole's color commentary on out baseball broadcasts? I have enjoyed what he had to say, and with his MLB experience, I wonder if he would be a fit as our pitching coach.
Took the words right out of my mouth (or off my keyboard). I just didn't post anything because I have no clue on his resume (coaching-wise). He seemed to indicate he's "been around" the team this season.

THWG

Helluva Engineer

It's called having faith (and being naive) :). I am optimistic though because the offense has really turned it on the last couple of weeks and we have Lee and probably Curry (who our are best starters) going in the two games. I know that Curry has kind of struggled again the last couple of weeks, but he does a good job of limiting the damage and keeping the game in striking distance for our offense. Datoc, Combs, Hughes and Carpenter both pitched great against a very good UVA lineup which gives me some hope for the pen. On top of that, we have played Miami and WF so our hitters and pitchers should have a good scouting report. We also should have beaten both of them 2 out of 3 (but we didn't). I know that it is more likely that we will split the games than winning both, but I just feel really good about our chances in both games.

65Jacket

GT Athlete
If we limit our walks, and be patient enough to pick up some ourselves, we can compete. If we go to the inning opening free passes and swinging at pitches out of the zone, we lose. We lose most of the time by giving away the games.

bensaysitathome

Ramblin' Wreck
This was a good draw, IMO, but I'm also probably just being optimistically naive. I know I'm looking really far ahead, but playing the first two days may help us a lot. Any chance Lee could pitch again on Saturday if we make it to the semis?

FredJacket

Helluva Engineer
Worst case... we lose Game 1, making Game 2 simply the last game of the season with nothing to play for.

Better case... we beat Miami, making Game 2 against Wake essentially a "quarterfinal" game. Winner goes to semis.

Best case... we win both making Sat interesting because more than likely we'll matchup against a team that plays at 7pm Friday (NCST or UNC)... while we'll be on 2 days rest.

Whoa!!! Am I getting ahead of myself?

For those wondering about 1-1 records for all 3 teams in pool play, it's my understanding the top seed in the pool wins the pool. In other words, if we beat Miami... Wake only needs to beat us to get to semis. The 8 teams that are not LOU, UNC, WF, UVA must win 2 during pool play to advance to Sat.

FredJacket

Helluva Engineer
Read this yesterday and the writer makes some valid points (ignore the part about what time teams are playing bc that was inaccurate).

https://www.google.com/amp/www.blog...heduling-college-ncaa-wake-forest-clemson-unc
There are some valid points made. I'd bet his proposal would be quite unpopular with the league, teams & fans for 2 reasons:
1) 2 games in a day for some teams... who'd be matched up with teams playing that 1 game that day.
2) Potential that a team advances to semis having only played one game.

A tournament format has to manage trade offs. The things I like about this format (being objective... take my GT homer hat off):
1) Sat games matter. Previously... with 2 pools, Sat was just another day of pool play. Sundays championship was the only game out of pool play.
2) You have no choice but to assume "chalk" when arranging the schedule. In the event all the better seeds win as scheduled, then every game will matter to at least one of the teams playing in it. In other words, the tournament has 12 pool games just like the previous years... but I believe the ACC has increased odds that more of those 12 games will matter.
3) The 4 best teams in the regular season have an advantage. That should be rewarded. A Sat schedule with LOU v UVA & UNC v WF is pretty solid.
4) Since the dude in the article brought it up... no team plays 2 games in a day. That is quite unfair & I'd assume the ACC & teams consider that a non-starter.

FredJacket

Helluva Engineer
Upon further review, I take #2 back (a little). For purposes of the tournament, there are some meaningless games in schedule. But these games matter a lot to these teams trying to impress the committee.