ACC Tournament

Deleted member 2897

We may never know how much Wake really cared. But one thing is for sure - its a damned shame we didn't beat Miami. Would've been nice to be sitting here right now talking about the chance to Move On.

Deleted member 2897

Yup, walks, wild pitch, errors, runs with 2 outs. Up 4-1 in the top of the 9th and up 12 hits to 2. And yet here we are now down 5-4.

Against a team that doesn't care, doesn't need the win, and a game that doesn't matter for them. Really bad form to almost look like you're just handing them what was a sure win.

FightWinDrink

Helluva Engineer
But did anyone expect anything different at this point? I'm just waiting for which spectacular way we are going to collapse every game

Deleted member 2897

But did anyone expect anything different at this point? I'm just waiting for which spectacular way we are going to collapse every game

Winning run on 1st base. 13 hits to 6. So given we haven't had an ounce of luck in 2 months, I'm going to guess something benign like a pop fly to the catcher.

Deleted member 2897

Up big against Miami, up big against Wake. Collapsed in both. Wake was more embarrassing, since they didn't even care to win, and we did it in the 9th inning. Welcome to the first losing season since 1981. We worked hard to earn it. Hopefully we'll not have so many injuries next year. If we can just keep it under 8 or 10 that would be nice.

THWG

Helluva Engineer
The last two games were the team's season in a nutshell. I'm glad that it's finally over. Curry was a very big bright spot today though.

senoiajacket

Helluva Engineer
Soooooo ...... Down one with one on and nobody out in the ninth and we don't bunt him over? This seems way out of character for CDH. I mean this is a guy who sacrifices men over in the second inning. What gives?

Deleted member 2897

Wake cared. I am as certain of that as anyone may be that they didn't. Doesn't change the bottom line. But we didn't lose to a team that didn't care.

Yea that was me in my annoyed super-cynical state. Whoever is on the field obviously cares, so my description was not wholly accurate. I just mean the game didn't even matter to them in terms of making it to the next section of the ACC Tournament. So that's just crazy in an inconsequential game.

FredJacket

Helluva Engineer
Yea that was me in my annoyed super-cynical state. Whoever is on the field obviously cares, so my description was not wholly accurate. I just mean the game didn't even matter to them in terms of making it to the next section of the ACC Tournament. So that's just crazy in an inconsequential game.
Annoyed cynicism is 100% understandable.

I was sort of excited about the possibility of a walk off win in a non-championship game of postseason tournament that "ended" the season. Think about that for a second.
:confused:

THWG

Helluva Engineer
Soooooo ...... Down one with one on and nobody out in the ninth and we don't bunt him over? This seems way out of character for CDH. I mean this is a guy who sacrifices men over in the second inning. What gives?
I agree with not bunting there because Bailey was just on first base, but there should have been a bunt attempt earlier in the game when Bailey led an inning off with a double. Craport grounded out to 3rd which didn't advance the runner and in an attempt to make up for Craport's lack of situational hitting, Bailey was thrown out trying to steal 3rd. Peurifoy was next up and hit a fly ball that would have scored Bailey had he been on 3rd. Missing out on that run was huge because it would have made the game 3-0 with Curry still throwing a no-hitter. That would have put Wake in a deeper hole, added more momentum to our dugout, and given Curry more confidence.

THWG

Helluva Engineer
Annoyed cynicism is 100% understandable.

I was sort of excited about the possibility of a walk off win in a non-championship game of postseason tournament that "ended" the season. Think about that for a second.
:confused:
The game should have been just tied and gone to extras anyways which would have given the guys a better chance to win. It is fitting that the last run of the season against us was unearned and cost us the game.

senoiajacket

Helluva Engineer
I agree with not bunting there because Bailey was just on first base, but there should have been a bunt attempt earlier in the game when Bailey led an inning off with a double. Craport grounded out to 3rd which didn't advance the runner and in an attempt to make up for Craport's lack of situational hitting, Bailey was thrown out trying to steal 3rd. Peurifoy was next up and hit a fly ball that would have scored Bailey had he been on 3rd. Missing out on that run was huge because it would have made the game 3-0 with Curry still throwing a no-hitter. That would have put Wake in a deeper hole, added more momentum to our dugout, and given Curry more confidence.
Right or wrong strategy wasn't really my point. My point was wondering why CDH went away from a staple of what he seems to believe in.

Deleted member 2897

The game should have been just tied and gone to extras anyways which would have given the guys a better chance to win. It is fitting that the last run of the season against us was unearned and cost us the game.

I pushed the Like button about your post, because I Disliked the content of it. Hope that makes sense. Sigh.

THWG

Helluva Engineer
Right or wrong strategy wasn't really my point. My point was wondering why CDH went away from a staple of what he seems to believe in.
I'm sorry that I misunderstood. My best guess would be that Craport and Peurifoy were coming up (which is why I think he didn't bunt in the situation that I described).