ACC Tournament 2022

JacketOff

Helluva Engineer
I like your optimism, but I'm not so sure. I think we're squarely off the bubble, but currently a 2-seed feels a bit like a reach. I think we can get there, just not sure yet.
#21 in RPI. Finished 7th in the ACC, a conference who will have at least 3 hosts, and will probably end up with 4 or 5, with a long shot at 6. We have the #5 SOS in the country. I don’t really see anyway we don’t end up as a 2 seed unless we just sh*t the bed in the ACCT. We’re not even close to the bubble at this point

JacketOff

Helluva Engineer
UConn got swept by Georgetown this weekend they will be lucky to win their tournament
They were just an example of how far we might have to travel as a 3 seed instead of a 2. They’re a potential host that’s 1,000 miles away. Same for UCLA, GCU, UCSB, Oregon State, etc. Obviously not all of those are going to end up hosting, but they’re all potential destinations for us as a 3 seed

bensaysitathome

Ramblin' Wreck
So who, more knowledgeable than me, knows our pitching outlook in the tourney? Shorter turnaround than normal. Medich threw almost 100 on Thursday; will he be good to go vs Pitt? Then Grissom vs Lville?

GTJon

Jolly Good Fellow
So who, more knowledgeable than me, knows our pitching outlook in the tourney? Shorter turnaround than normal. Medich threw almost 100 on Thursday; will he be good to go vs Pitt? Then Grissom vs Lville?
In a weird way, I feel like this postseason doesn't have the usual stress and questions about how to set up our pitching like it usually does. It's always been, do you throw our stud Friday pitcher (Hurter, Curry, etc.) in Game 1 or wait for a tougher matchup. Now, we've got about 10-12 pitchers we can throw out there in any combination and you're just up hoping to get 3-4 good innings out of a few of them. So yes, I think you go on the same rest with Medich on Tues and Grissom on Thursday. But we can just be ready to move on down the line after 2 or 3 innings if the starter needs to be pulled when you might have stuck with Hurter, Curry, Conner Thomas a lot longer in years' past.

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
In a weird way, I feel like this postseason doesn't have the usual stress and questions about how to set up our pitching like it usually does. It's always been, do you throw our stud Friday pitcher (Hurter, Curry, etc.) in Game 1 or wait for a tougher matchup. Now, we've got about 10-12 pitchers we can throw out there in any combination and you're just up hoping to get 3-4 good innings out of a few of them. So yes, I think you go on the same rest with Medich on Tues and Grissom on Thursday. But we can just be ready to move on down the line after 2 or 3 innings if the starter needs to be pulled when you might have stuck with Hurter, Curry, Conner Thomas a lot longer in years' past.

I'm with you personally. Since we don't have a reliable starter, just roll the dice for starter and have a real short leash.

A big story for tourney is the weather. Hopefully we win both our games and then the rain deluge happens just after we finish our game at 2PM on Thursday. That will delay Thursday later games as well as Friday. Then the games will be greatly compressed for others leading into Saturday while we wait. That will hurt other teams more on pitching freshness and overall wear.

1653337501021.png

78pike

Ramblin' Wreck
I don't know what the recovery times are for specific pitchers on our staff but Medich strikes me as the kind of guy that can go on 5 days rest. Plus I think CDH likes the idea of rolling out his #1 for the first game. Keep in mind that if Pitt rolls out their #1 guy I think he also had more than 100 pitches on Tuesday. Neither of the 2 is exactly a fireballer so maybe that helps. But hopefully CDH will keep him on a short leash because we all saw what happened when Medich ran out of gas last game. So maybe he runs out there for 3 innings or so if he is doing well then we go to "whole staff" mode. What will be interesting to see is if we keep the same pecking order we have seen lately. My guess is yes because if we don't win the first game the second game doesn't matter. I think we do what we have to in order to win game one then worry about game two after that. I hate it when you overthink things and get too cute in tourney play and get beat right out of the gate.

FredJacket

Helluva Engineer
Listened to D1 podcast (recorded Sun). They were discussing the field of 64. Regarding the ACC, they had 11 teams in with 2-3 on the bubble (bubble was ill-defined). They kept talking about "if" a team goes 0-2 on the ACC tournament. Never mentioned the tournament format (ie.. 1 of those 2 games could be inconsequential to conference tournament outcome).

So it seems that at least to these D1 Baseball guys, the ACC's decision to go with this format is accomplishing that part of it. Every team gets 2 extra games to boost their resume.

bensaysitathome

Ramblin' Wreck
Listened to D1 podcast (recorded Sun). They were discussing the field of 64. Regarding the ACC, they had 11 teams in with 2-3 on the bubble (bubble was ill-defined). They kept talking about "if" a team goes 0-2 on the ACC tournament. Never mentioned the tournament format (ie.. 1 of those 2 games could be inconsequential to conference tournament outcome).

So it seems that at least to these D1 Baseball guys, the ACC's decision to go with this format is accomplishing that part of it. Every team gets 2 extra games to boost their resume.
There's a lot of internet hate on the ACC tournament format, but I really think everyone is just missing the point. The extra games are by design for all those bubble teams, and while it's frustrating to a fan to see an inconsequential game, this is a smart play by the conference.

inconsequential to determining the winner of the ACC tournament ≠ inconsequential to qualifying for regionals

CTJacket

Ramblin' Wreck
I don't know what the recovery times are for specific pitchers on our staff but Medich strikes me as the kind of guy that can go on 5 days rest. Plus I think CDH likes the idea of rolling out his #1 for the first game. Keep in mind that if Pitt rolls out their #1 guy I think he also had more than 100 pitches on Tuesday. Neither of the 2 is exactly a fireballer so maybe that helps. But hopefully CDH will keep him on a short leash because we all saw what happened when Medich ran out of gas last game. So maybe he runs out there for 3 innings or so if he is doing well then we go to "whole staff" mode. What will be interesting to see is if we keep the same pecking order we have seen lately. My guess is yes because if we don't win the first game the second game doesn't matter. I think we do what we have to in order to win game one then worry about game two after that. I hate it when you overthink things and get too cute in tourney play and get beat right out of the gate.
It IS a rematch from Thurs. Quick Hook Hall would be good today.

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Hard to beat a team 4 times in a row. Even harder when you commit so many errors and throw 55.5% strikes. And Pitt scored 10 unanswered runs. Pitt made some very nice defensive plays too.

Lost 12-6 and are destined for a 3 seed somewhere. The L'Ville game would help to win but I doubt it would move us up enough to get a two seed. Oh well, we played enough games this year and had enough chances. IIWII.

Last edited:

GTJon

Jolly Good Fellow
Well if you want to find a bright side, at least Louisville has all their motivation now against Pitt and then the weekend so hopefully they won't use their top arms against us. If we can get that win, would have another Top 10 RPI win.

I would feel better if either Clemson or NC St goes 0-2 this week. If we go 0-2 and they don't, we may be #11 in the ACC pecking order and that could be very uncomfortable on Monday if some of these presumed one-bid conferences have upset winners.

FredJacket

Helluva Engineer
Hard to beat a team 4 times in a row. Even harder when you commit so many errors and throw 55.5% strikes. And Pitt scored 10 unanswered runs. Pitt made some very nice defensive plays too.

Lost 12-6 and are destined for a 3 seed somewhere. The L'Ville game would help to win but I doubt it would move us up enough to get a two seed. Oh well, we played enough games this year and had enough chances. IIWII.
Well if you want to find a bright side, at least Louisville has all their motivation now against Pitt and then the weekend so hopefully they won't use their top arms against us. If we can get that win, would have another Top 10 RPI win.

I would feel better if either Clemson or NC St goes 0-2 this week. If we go 0-2 and they don't, we may be #11 in the ACC pecking order and that could be very uncomfortable on Monday if some of these presumed one-bid conferences have upset winners.
I'm still holding out hope that a #2 is in play. But really... does it matter? Could be a blessing to go far away & play a bunch of "different" teams. Score about 50 runs.

augustabuzz

Helluva Engineer

It makes no difference really. We can check out of our rooms either before or after our Thursday game and head back to Atlanta.