ACC Tournament 2022

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
What happened in the 6th that we gave up 8 runs? Was anybody watching? The box score is not helping me.

Ugly through and through.
1653427705100.png

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
I'm still holding out hope that a #2 is in play. But really... does it matter? Could be a blessing to go far away & play a bunch of "different" teams. Score about 50 runs.

No chance of a #2 seed IMHO. Our RPI dropped to 27 after Pitt. I didn't think it would drop that much from 20 this morning. The rankings must be very tightly clumped.

Since L'Ville is #7 RPI, a loss to them on neutral field should not drop our RPI much more if at all. But being 15-17 in ACC would make us a low 3 seed and maybe in the last 4 in group again. I still think we are in the NCAA with a loss but others could do really well and "steal" bids. A win will guarantee beyond doubt getting NCAA bid.

Looking at the bright side, I will now focus on the last week of the Giro. https://www.cyclingnews.com/races/giro-d-italia-2022/stage-16/live-report/

I've learned to take pictures of the RPI since it changes so rapidly:

1653427867096.png

FredJacket

Helluva Engineer
No chance of a #2 seed IMHO. Our RPI dropped to 27 after Pitt. I didn't think it would drop that much from 20 this morning. The rankings must be very tightly clumped.

Since L'Ville is #7 RPI, a loss to them on neutral field should not drop our RPI much more if at all. But being 15-17 in ACC would make us a low 3 seed and maybe in the last 4 in group again. I still think we are in the NCAA with a loss but others could do really well and "steal" bids. A win will guarantee beyond doubt getting NCAA bid.

Looking at the bright side, I will now focus on the last week of the Giro. https://www.cyclingnews.com/races/giro-d-italia-2022/stage-16/live-report/

I've learned to take pictures of the RPI since it changes so rapidly:

View attachment 12459
Do over Nuke. We're beating Louisville. 🙂

CINCYMETJACKET

Helluva Engineer
My comments from chat

FredJacket:
Nobody cares.... but T6 was "baseball" ... Pitt had 6 singles (w HBP in there). All ground balls with low exit velocity. Figure the odds.
I believe it started with Medich on the hill with a 6-2 lead and: Leadoff WALK, 2 run HR, solo HR. Tech still up 6-5.

After Medich melted down against Pitt on Thursday night with a 7-1 lead in the 5th, to make it a 7-6 game, he's now into the 6th. I don't know why Hall didn't have someone ready. The second HR would have been the last pitch he threw in my world. Sammy (or whomever was ready) would have entered with a clean sheet. Clearly that was not the case since Medich gave up 6 runs. Pitt roughed up Medich in the 5th in his prior start on Thursday and we don't have anyone ready for another melt down today???

FredJacket

Helluva Engineer
I believe it started with Medich on the hill with a 6-2 lead and: Leadoff WALK, 2 run HR, solo HR. Tech still up 6-5.

After Medich melted down against Pitt on Thursday night with a 7-1 lead in the 5th, to make it a 7-6 game, he's now into the 6th. I don't know why Hall didn't have someone ready. The second HR would have been the last pitch he threw in my world. Sammy (or whomever was ready) would have entered with a clean sheet. Clearly that was not the case since Medich gave up 6 runs. Pitt roughed up Medich in the 5th in his prior start on Thursday and we don't have anyone ready for another melt down today???
You're correct about how inning started... but to play devil's advocate. It happened very fast. It was a 4 lead after 4 pretty easy innings for Medich. PC not crazy high. No reason to have anyone up & warming in that situation. Walked leadoff guy. Then 2 HRs & it's a 1-run game very quickly. Sucked... but I don't have an issue with the pitching moves today. Nothing was working.

Juanita

Georgia Tech Fan
Hi! I am obviously new to this site/forum and was told to introduce myself. I have deep ties to Georgia Tech. My daddy was a GT grad (ME,) and I went to college in Atlanta. Once, (early 80s) I climbed the lights at Bobby Dodd stadium with two GT buddies. Scary, but the skyline view was incredible. You probably can't get up there anymore. Watched a lot of Braves games. The 91/92 seasons were really special; best pitching staff EVER. I live in east Tennessee, so yesterday's game was blacked out on ESPN. I tried alternatives and finally pulled up WREK on my PC. I hate the loss. Figured Pitt would come out chippy after the sweep. GT needs a couple of the Vols pitchers, haha! I am certainly not the most knowledgeable fan re: stats, standings, rules. But, I sure do enjoy the game. Go, Jackets!!!!

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Hi! I am obviously new to this site/forum and was told to introduce myself. I have deep ties to Georgia Tech. My daddy was a GT grad (ME,) and I went to college in Atlanta. Once, (early 80s) I climbed the lights at Bobby Dodd stadium with two GT buddies. Scary, but the skyline view was incredible. You probably can't get up there anymore. Watched a lot of Braves games. The 91/92 seasons were really special; best pitching staff EVER. I live in east Tennessee, so yesterday's game was blacked out on ESPN. I tried alternatives and finally pulled up WREK on my PC. I hate the loss. Figured Pitt would come out chippy after the sweep. GT needs a couple of the Vols pitchers, haha! I am certainly not the most knowledgeable fan re: stats, standings, rules. But, I sure do enjoy the game. Go, Jackets!!!!

Welcome! Go Jackets. Being a Tech fan takes a lot of intestinal fortitude.

We'll start the NCAA 0-0 like everyone else.

senoiajacket

Helluva Engineer
ACC tournament over b4 it ever got started good for us. I think we all knew that was a realistic possibility, but it’s still pretty disappointing. How far will another 6 game winning streak take us?

This team is capable of beating anyone they play and also capable of losing to anyone we play (by large margins in both cases).

senoiajacket

Helluva Engineer
This kind of makes me “throw up in my mouth” a little bit, knowing that that could have easily been us and in my mind, should have been us (not based on the way we played, but based on the relative talent of the two teams as I see it). I’m really starting to not like Pitt in all sports ……. I used to like them a lot b/c they beat Georgia in 1981 in the Sugar Bowl to deny them the national championship ……. It was also the last major bowl that Pitt won.

FredJacket

Helluva Engineer
This kind of makes me “throw up in my mouth” a little bit, knowing that that could have easily been us and in my mind, should have been us (not based on the way we played, but based on the relative talent of the two teams as I see it). I’m really starting to not like Pitt in all sports ……. I used to like them a lot b/c they beat Georgia in 1981 in the Sugar Bowl to deny them the national championship ……. It was also the last major bowl that Pitt won.
I have a tremendous amount of respect for a fan that has this kind of "hate fire" ... & can articulate the rationale (both ways). Don't go changing @senoiajacket

I moved to Virginia 20 years ago. For my 30+ years before that I was totally ambivalent about Va Tech. It took me exactly 2.78 weeks working closely with clueless Hokies regarding all things college & ACC sports to consider Va Tech a hated institution with nothing redeeming.

How did I do?

senoiajacket

Helluva Engineer
I have a tremendous amount of respect for a fan that has this kind of "hate fire" ... & can articulate the rationale (both ways). Don't go changing @senoiajacket

I moved to Virginia 20 years ago. For my 30+ years before that I was totally ambivalent about Va Tech. It took me exactly 2.78 weeks working closely with clueless Hokies regarding all things college & ACC sports to consider Va Tech a hated institution with nothing redeeming.

How did I do
Let the hate flow through you