ACC Tournament 2022

Buzzbomb

Mello Yellow-Jacket
I'll predict pool winners:
A: UNC
B: GA TECH
C: MIAMI
D: NOTRE DAME
Looking ahead if you will…..should GT win the ACC Tournament, do we get a NCAA 2 seed? Do you think there is much difference in being a 2 or 3 in the NCAA Tournament?

I don’t think we have ever been seeded 4th in a Regional?

FredJacket

Helluva Engineer
I could see upsets in any of the pools. They’re 12 good teams.
Ties going to the highest seed is a heckuva advantage, though. I wonder how often that comes into play?
Last year 2 of 4 pools ended with all 3 teams at 1-1. Another advantage is the top seeds know who the must beat to advance (the winner of game between lower seeds in your pool).

MWBATL

Helluva Engineer
Looking ahead if you will…..should GT win the ACC Tournament, do we get a NCAA 2 seed? Do you think there is much difference in being a 2 or 3 in the NCAA Tournament?

I truly think it doesn't matter.

GTJon

Jolly Good Fellow
Have to assume Pitt comes back with their ace against us. That's why I'm glad we go ahead and get them first thing Tuesday. That only gives him 4 days rest instead of the usual 6 coming off 100 pitches. Would expect Louisville will use their Friday night starter against whoever wins our Pitt game, but at least Grissom will be close to full rest when we play them.

My picks:
VT
GT
Wake
UVA

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
I like our pool versus others. We already know we match up well with Pitt and UL is a lot like us. Their pitching is shallow and they frequently just outscore their opponents. It will be interesting after the pool play if any of the top seeds (other than UL) are eliminated. Winning the ACC will require us continuing our recent streak of great games. I will not hold my breath. We would have to get some really good pitching to win 4 straight (which is what it will likely take). We are capable of scoring ten plus runs a game and that is what it likely take for us to get out of pool play. The single elimination is wicked in a sport like baseball.

A few years South Carolina won the SEC by going undefeated, then matched that in the NCAA. Has anyone else gone undefeated through the playoffs?

The wildcard for us is the play of Chandler Simpson. We are a MUCH better team with him leading off.

FredJacket

Helluva Engineer
I like our pool versus others. We already know we match up well with Pitt and UL is a lot like us. Their pitching is shallow and they frequently just outscore their opponents. It will be interesting after the pool play if any of the top seeds (other than UL) are eliminated. Winning the ACC will require us continuing our recent streak of great games. I will not hold my breath. We would have to get some really good pitching to win 4 straight (which is what it will likely take). We are capable of scoring ten plus runs a game and that is what it likely take for us to get out of pool play. The single elimination is wicked in a sport like baseball.

A few years South Carolina won the SEC by going undefeated, then matched that in the NCAA. Has anyone else gone undefeated through the playoffs?

The wildcard for us is the play of Chandler Simpson. We are a MUCH better team with him leading off.
Here's some history on this format. No top 4 has ever won the whole thing. Means every champ went 4-0 for the week.

Pool winners 2, 3, 8, 9
Semis 3 & 9
Champ #9 Duke

Pool winners 2, 3, 5, 12
Semis 2 & 5
Champ #5 UNC

Pool winners 2, 5, 6, 12
Semis 5 & 6
Champ #6 FSU

Pool winners 2, 6, 8, 9
Semis 2 & 8
Champ #8 FSU

Based on this... & state of 2022 ACC, literally any team can win this tournament.

JacketOff

Helluva Engineer

Barring an 0-2 ACCT performance, we’re pretty much a lock for a 2 seed. Going 0-2 probably drops us to a 3 seed. I think if we go 4-0 and win the whole thing there’s an outside chance we play ourselves into hosting, but that’s a very outside chance.

As far as the difference between a 2 or a 3 seed. It mostly comes down to travel. As a 2 seed we’d stay in the southeast, or at least no further away than Texas/Oklahoma. But as a 3 we could end up anywhere. UConn, Gonzaga, and Stanford would all be in play as potential destinations for us as a 3 seed.

bensaysitathome

Ramblin' Wreck
Barring an 0-2 ACCT performance, we’re pretty much a lock for a 2 seed. Going 0-2 probably drops us to a 3 seed. I think if we go 4-0 and win the whole thing there’s an outside chance we play ourselves into hosting, but that’s a very outside chance.

As far as the difference between a 2 or a 3 seed. It mostly comes down to travel. As a 2 seed we’d stay in the southeast, or at least no further away than Texas/Oklahoma. But as a 3 we could end up anywhere. UConn, Gonzaga, and Stanford would all be in play as potential destinations for us as a 3 seed.
I like your optimism, but I'm not so sure. I think we're squarely off the bubble, but currently a 2-seed feels a bit like a reach. I think we can get there, just not sure yet.

slugboy

Staff member
D1 “Power” rankings pre-tournament
8C230789-FD4B-433E-8AAE-116AC77E8F39.jpeg

FittedJacket

Jolly Good Fellow

UConn got swept by Georgetown this weekend they will be lucky to win their tournament