ACC Standings

bensaysitathome

Ramblin' Wreck
If we win out the remaining conference games, is there still any chance of making the ACCCG?
It's mathematically possible. We'd be 6-2, and hold the tiebreaker over UNC. Lville holds it over us, so they'd need to fall to 5-3. Not sure how the tiebreaker would work with VT but they could conceivably drop two more as well.

What would happen if Lville, VT, and us all end up at 6-2? Do we get weird 3-way tiebreakers?

n385

Georgia Tech Fan
Thanks for the little insight. I remember seeing someone say something about that long shot possibility a couple weeks ago, but I wanted to see how that had been affected by newer results. Just gotta support through it all

FlatsLander

Ramblin' Wreck
It's mathematically possible. We'd be 6-2, and hold the tiebreaker over UNC. Lville holds it over us, so they'd need to fall to 5-3. Not sure how the tiebreaker would work with VT but they could conceivably drop two more as well.

What would happen if Lville, VT, and us all end up at 6-2? Do we get weird 3-way tiebreakers?
IIRC, first tiebreaker is head to head, so it would depend on the outcome of the VT-UL game. If UL wins that one, then they have H2H over both VT and us, so they go ahead. If VT wins, then I think it goes to record against shared opponents. Not sure how that would check out. There's a lot left to shake out.

dmurdock

Jolly Good Fellow
IIRC, first tiebreaker is head to head, so it would depend on the outcome of the VT-UL game. If UL wins that one, then they have H2H over both VT and us, so they go ahead. If VT wins, then I think it goes to record against shared opponents. Not sure how that would check out. There's a lot left to shake out.
If VT beats UL and the 3 of us end up at 6-2, H2H would be VT 1-0, UL 1-1, GT 0-1, so VT would take the tiebreaker.

DasaniMan

Georgia Tech Fan
If VT beats UL and the 3 of us end up at 6-2, H2H would be VT 1-0, UL 1-1, GT 0-1, so VT would take the tiebreaker.
That's now how the tie breaker works. Unless one team beat the other 2, only common opponents between all three teams are considered. If VT's loss is to BC then UL has the tie breaker, otherwise it goes to winning percentage of conference opponents.

dmurdock

Jolly Good Fellow
That's now how the tie breaker works. Unless one team beat the other 2, only common opponents between all three teams are considered. If VT's loss is to BC then UL has the tie breaker, otherwise it goes to winning percentage of conference opponents.
You're right. Just double checked the tiebreaker rules on theacc.com, and they added wording for the head-to-head tiebreaker for 3 teams or more so it only applies if all tied teams played each other. Previously, the tiebreaker was for division champs and since everyone played everyone else within the division there was no need for that wording.

78pike

Ramblin' Wreck
It's refreshing to know that you have a chance to win going into every game. Of course we have shown we have an equal chance of losing. But I will take this over the last four years. Having Haynes King at QB , I think, will attract some good offensive talent the next couple of years. I know we need some defensive talent as well but I will take winning 46-42 over losing 7-3 any time.