ACC Standings

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
They’re 3-1, and haven’t been terrible since 2019. It’s a body of work.

Our body of work is we’re 2-2, with one of the wins against an FCS team. We have a mediocre last year with Johnson and 4 bad years since as our past 5 years. Journalist, coaches, and ADs and the math models aren’t going to rate us highly until we win a lot.

We have to dig out of a ditch, here.
If we had WF schedule we would be 4-0 and TV guru's would be touting our next big game. We have a tough schedule this year and next but this team is very competitive. The Ole Miss score does not really show how close that game was until almost over. We had a good shot at Louisville but did not execute in the second half. May have gone conservative and players thought it was over at the half.

HurricaneJacket

Helluva Engineer
If we had WF schedule we would be 4-0 and TV guru's would be touting our next big game. We have a tough schedule this year and next but this team is very competitive. The Ole Miss score does not really show how close that game was until almost over. We had a good shot at Louisville but did not execute in the second half. May have gone conservative and players thought it was over at the half.
Despite losing that Louisville game, I think it paid dividends here against Wake since no one wanted to relive that feeling.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
Yep.

I think most of us like playing interesting opponents but every year I see how W-L records, even when fattened up mightily by a schedule full of cupcakes, works wonders with the pollsters. Whether these teams getting the W-L bump in the polls are Duke, Wake, or even Georgia, cleaning up against boring opponents seems to help the bottom line more than bringing some power house in to stomp you in the ground in front of a stadium packed by the visiting team. This is not a polemic about what the best teams are to schedule just an observation from over the years.

AugustaSwarm

Jolly Good Fellow
They’re 3-1, and haven’t been terrible since 2019. It’s a body of work.

Our body of work is we’re 2-2, with one of the wins against an FCS team. We have a mediocre last year with Johnson and 4 bad years since as our past 5 years. Journalist, coaches, and ADs and the math models aren’t going to rate us highly until we win a lot.

We have to dig out of a ditch, here.
A body of work? Part of that body of work is us beating them in Winston Salem, head to head. Previous seasons have NOTHING to do with this season's rankings (or shouldn't). A head to head win apparently counts for very little?

Wake's body of work? Wake is 3-1 with zero quality wins. They beat an FCS school and two cupcakes before losing a home game to us. Their body of work puts them down at the bottom...

seanfloyd18

Georgia Tech Fan
Fair point. We dodged a bullet and got hit by a howitzer.
On the bright side, TFG hired Brent Key. Tony Elliott probably gets his own OL coach and maybe it takes years longer for Brent to come home. I was one of those who liked Elliott when we were moving on from CPJ- happy to have been wrong in the long run.

So the howitzer smelled like roses and had a a couple seeds in it, despite still being a howitzer.

slugboy

Staff member
Take the polls and the prediction models with a grain of salt until week 6 or 7. Even before, they’re mostly right with a few outliers.

If you rank teams just based on the wins, you can play that “transitive win” game that ranks Kansas over Alabama. That gets silly results.

Four straight years of losing records and three of the worst years in school history out of the last five (four) play as big a factor in our ratings and rankings as us being 2-2.

You can probably find my post before the game where I said Wake hadn’t played anyone, and we’d probably be 4-0 with their schedule. That doesn’t mean Wake is worse than us—just that they played a much weaker schedule.

If we played a rematch this week, I expect Vegas would still favor Wake by 3.

I like us better than Wake, but we’re pretty evenly matched.

If you choose to believe that the Ole Miss game was closer than the final score, that’s your option. The good news is we’re a much better team than last year. They whipped us though.

We had a good shot at Louisville. We still lost. The vocal majority of the board wanted Thacker fired after the game.

To paraphrase Dennis Green, Bill Belichick, Bill Parcells, and others: you are what the score says you are.

Moral victories don’t help much. Maybe Louisville turns out to be good, but that’s still a game we needed.

FWIW, the polls rank Duke over Clemson. The prediction models don’t, and mostly still have Clemson in the top 25.

If we want to change perception, winning Bowling Green comfortably and then beating Miami would do it. Beating Wake helps, but it doesn’t undo losing to Ole Miss by double digits and losing to Louisville

If you averaged the opinions on this board over the last four games, for the first three games Key was a safe choice we made because we were cheap, the defensive coaches didn’t know what they were doing, and we had mostly the same coaches and players from Collins. This week, the coaches and players are good. Those were the majority of post-game comments, and I’m not including the chat room. The difference with the pollsters is that they remember our first three games and our last five years

I’m very happy we beat Wake and really enjoyed the game. I’m not going to get bent out of shape because people and models still want us to “prove it” after the last 5 years. We’re closing in on average in perceptions; to be “good” we need to beat teams we should beat and notch quality wins

Wake is a good win, but it’s not a top 25 win. It’s a top 50 win

For the first three weeks, I was saying things aren’t as bad as people think. This week I’m saying it takes time to adjust the polls and the models, and they base it on our track record.

The last few years of our history will be in the polls and the models until the latter half of the season. We’re only 1/3rd in

Last edited:

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
A body of work? Part of that body of work is us beating them in Winston Salem, head to head. Previous seasons have NOTHING to do with this season's rankings (or shouldn't). A head to head win apparently counts for very little?

Wake's body of work? Wake is 3-1 with zero quality wins. They beat an FCS school and two cupcakes before losing a home game to us. Their body of work puts them down at the bottom...

If Wake is so bad, then we have zero quality wins?

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
I think you explained everything well.
The models usually have a component for previous seasons performance until about halfway through the current season.
They have to have some input for the models.
As teams play more and you get farther into the season the previous season counts for less until it drops out completely.

We are headed in the right direction, but I don't have any serious issues with how they are ranking GT right now. If we upset some of the teams in front of us we will move up.
Wake could easily be behind GT in the models next week given they have to go to Clemson this week while GT has what is hopefully a relatively easy game against a bad G5 opponent. Of course, if Wake were to go to Death Valley and win they would easily stay in front of GT no matter what GT does with BG this week.

Randy Carson

Helluva Engineer
If you choose to believe that the Ole Miss game was closer than the final score, that’s your option. The good news is we’re a much better team than last year. They whipped us though.

We had a good shot at Louisville. We still lost. The vocal majority of the board wanted Thacker fired after the game.

Moral victories don’t help much. Maybe Louisville turns out to be good, but that’s still a game we needed.

If we want to change perception, winning Bowling Green comfortably and then beating Miami would do it. Beating Wake helps, but it doesn’t undo losing to Ole Miss by double digits and losing to Louisville

[OP clipped for space considerations.]
First, the current perception of Tech is a bit like a bad credit score. It's going to take a few years for that Chapter 11 bankruptcy to disappear.

Second, I disagree with a few statements. Minor stuff, really.

Regarding Ole Miss, they beat us...but not until late. We were only down seven in the fourth quarter. That's not a whipping. Ask Colorado about a whipping.

Moral victories don't help much? Really? If we fall to UGA 14-7 with them scoring the go-ahead touchdown late, that's not a "moral victory"? It would suck, but UGA would know they've been in a dog-fight and that we've made a lot of progress. Begrudging respect, it's called.

And losing to Louisville and Ole Miss is a mark against us? They're both ranked, right? No shame losing to them.

But your perspective is mostly on target. Panic and pessimism are not justified at this point.

AugustaSwarm

Jolly Good Fellow
If Wake is so bad, then we have zero quality wins?
I never claimed Wake as a quality win for us. Honestly, by the end of the season, I don't think it will be. I also never claimed that Wake was bad (even though I don't think they'll end the year strong). I responded to the phrase "body of work" as rationale for having Wake ranked above us AFTER we beat them.

slugboy

Staff member
I never claimed Wake as a quality win for us. Honestly, by the end of the season, I don't think it will be. I also never claimed that Wake was bad (even though I don't think they'll end the year strong). I responded to the phrase "body of work" as rationale for having Wake ranked above us AFTER we beat them.
If we’d been bowling several years in a row, a few years out of playing for a conference championship, and were 3-0, then lost one game that we were favored in to a team that had dwelled in the basement of the conference for the last four years, we’d call it a bad loss, but we wouldn’t expect the other team to be ranked over us.
We’d call it a lucky fluke or a bad game.

roadkill

Helluva Engineer
Here's a ranking system (https://www.colleyrankings.com/currank.html) I just posted in the Stats and Models thread that has us at 67 and Wake at 52. Why? Well, we moved up a lot by beating Wake, but not enough to pass them with their current 3-1 record.

I often see the phrase “The transitive property doesn’t apply to football”. Well, it actually does, but shouldn’t be used on a single-game basis. For example, in 2015 the “kick and the pick” beat highly ranked FSU. Did we then deserve to be ranked ahead of them? I don’t think so, especially since that was the only P5 game we won that season.

Regardless, some polls with their starting biases can give counterintuitive results early in the season.

slugboy

Staff member
First, the current perception of Tech is a bit like a bad credit score. It's going to take a few years for that Chapter 11 bankruptcy to disappear.

Second, I disagree with a few statements. Minor stuff, really.

Regarding Ole Miss, they beat us...but not until late. We were only down seven in the fourth quarter. That's not a whipping. Ask Colorado about a whipping.

Moral victories don't help much? Really? If we fall to UGA 14-7 with them scoring the go-ahead touchdown late, that's not a "moral victory"? It would suck, but UGA would know they've been in a dog-fight and that we've made a lot of progress. Begrudging respect, it's called.

And losing to Louisville and Ole Miss is a mark against us? They're both ranked, right? No shame losing to them.

But your perspective is mostly on target. Panic and pessimism are not justified at this point.
I like the chapter 11 analogy.

Louisville is not in the top 25. They’re getting votes, though.

Looking back, we should have beaten them. If our defense was playing decently, or if we’d adjusted to their defensive changes in the second half, we might have. I view it as a game that got away rather than a moral victory. I expect more out of Key than TFG.

I may be raising my expectations. I think I should.

Ole Miss won by 25. They beat the spread. We were within 7 at one point, but they were moving the ball easily against us. We also didn’t hold them to that 7 point lead. Our defense looked horrible at the end (and through the game really).

If the models call “garbage time”, and don’t count some points, you’ve been thumped. As a fan, I’d rather look back and be mad that my team played a terrible second half against Ole Miss.

If there’s a moral victory in that game, it’s that the coaches used it to fix the problems with our defense. At least for one game.

If UGA is favored by 25 and only wins by 7, we’ve exceeded expectations. We didn’t beat the spread against Ole Miss. The last 21 points count, unfortunately

This team has the potential to be a good team, but they have a lot of work to do before Miami.

Bowling Green is a chance to show we aren’t the team from the last four years, too.

UgaBlows

Helluva Engineer
I think WF will make a bowl, they are a decent team, just not upper level without an elite QB

1979jacket

Ramblin' Wreck
Reality

Louisville - we should have won the game. Up 15 at halftime to a team that is not superior to us. Nevertheless, we scored 34 and played well at times against a decent team. I still look back at it as a game our coaches let slip away depite some nice play calling early.

Ole Miss - it was somewhat of a moral victory, Got beat last year at home 42-0 and didn't have a whiff of the end zone and it could have been 60-0. This year moved the ball and down 7 in 4th quarter, Did it end badly? Yes but nevertheless not all bad.

Wake - Nice W - Is Wake any good this year? Don't know given we are the only real team they have played. An ACC win on the road is always good regardless.

CuseJacket

Administrator
Staff member
I think WF will make a bowl, they are a decent team, just not upper level without an elite QB
I'm not so sure about that. Outside of maybe @ VT and vs. Pitt, they may be an underdog in the rest.

Tough ACC + ND draw (which offsets their weak OOC). Turns out last Saturday was probably as important to them as it was to us.

1695779178670.png

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
I'm not so sure about that. Outside of maybe @ VT and vs. Pitt, they may be an underdog in the rest.

Tough ACC + ND draw (which offsets their weak OOC). Turns out last Saturday was probably as important to them as it was to us.

View attachment 14791

They might be favored against Pitt. Pitt has lost some tough ones as well. Not sure how good they actually are. Their QB situation hasn't been good so far. Maybe it's their level of competition, or maybe they've regressed this year.

slugboy

Staff member
They might be favored against Pitt. Pitt has lost some tough ones as well. Not sure how good they actually are. Their QB situation hasn't been good so far. Maybe it's their level of competition, or maybe they've regressed this year.
Against UNC, Pitt booed their starting QB Jurkovec, who played ok, then he got hurt when he got targeted. Veilleux came in and did worse.