ACC Standings

yeti92

Helluva Engineer
Not sure we dodged a bullet considering who we went with instead...
I was supportive of Elliott at the time, I thought his background and experience would lend to better recruiting than Collins and he had actually been a coach on a championship caliber team where as Collins' closest brush with high level success was being an off the field director of personnel or whatever at Bama. Turns out I was wrong on Elliott but right on Collins.

Looking back at the common names that were being thrown out at the time, a lot of them ended up being duds.

Collins
Elliott
Scott Satterfield
Jeff Monken
Neal Brown
Whisenhunt
Willie Fritz
Brian Bohannon
Gus Malzahn

Bohannon has probably maintained the most success of all of them by posting double digit wins in 2019 and 2021 with a very good shortened covid year, although he is still at the FCS level and had a mediocre season last year. Monken has had a couple good seasons and a couple mediocre, Fritz has had the one really good season, one really bad season, and one mediocre season, but looking good so far this year. Malzahn has put up 3 9 win seasons and a 6-4 covid season, and is also off to a good start.

UgaBlows

Helluva Engineer
if tony elliot is the coach and we have a starting qb i will always be very confident. that guy stinks and uva is playing terrible football
Evan Geoff got some wins you know? UVA has a good defense and a star QB and the game is in Hooville, I really want to beat them and pray that we do, but that one might be tough. Possible our offense is freaking rolling like a Ramblin’ Wreck by then on all cylinders for 4 quarters per game!

UgaBlows

Helluva Engineer
I was supportive of Elliott at the time, I thought his background and experience would lend to better recruiting than Collins and he had actually been a coach on a championship caliber team where as Collins' closest brush with high level success was being an off the field director of personnel or whatever at Bama. Turns out I was wrong on Elliott but right on Collins.

Looking back at the common names that were being thrown out at the time, a lot of them ended up being duds.

Collins
Elliott
Scott Satterfield
Jeff Monken
Neal Brown
Whisenhunt
Willie Fritz
Brian Bohannon
Gus Malzahn

Bohannon has probably maintained the most success of all of them by posting double digit wins in 2019 and 2021 with a very good shortened covid year, although he is still at the FCS level and had a mediocre season last year. Monken has had a couple good seasons and a couple mediocre, Fritz has had the one really good season, one really bad season, and one mediocre season, but looking good so far this year. Malzahn has put up 3 9 win seasons and a 6-4 covid season, and is also off to a good start.
Fritz was the logical choice to follow PJ, we really blew that one

TromboneJacket

Ramblin' Wreck

Collins
Elliott
Scott Satterfield
Jeff Monken
Neal Brown
Whisenhunt
Willie Fritz
Brian Bohannon
Gus Malzahn

Monken would have done better than Collins, but it would have been difficult for him to recruit with the option stigma still persisting.

Satterfield wouldn’t have been amazing, but I think he would have done a little better than Collins.

Whisenhunt would have probably been a different kind of mess since he was in the sunset of his career and hadn’t been a college head coach.

Malzahn was still at Auburn, I believe, so we couldn’t have afforded him.

In hindsight, I think Willie Fritz would have been the best choice to succeed CPJ and transition the offense. He probably would have been a lot cheaper too.

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
Evan Geoff got some wins you know? UVA has a good defense and a star QB and the game is in Hooville, I really want to beat them and pray that we do, but that one might be tough. Possible our offense is freaking rolling like a Ramblin’ Wreck by then on all cylinders for 4 quarters per game!
Yeah, Virginia didn't look that bad against NC State. Overcame one stupid penalty to get the two-point conversion from the 18 to tie, but then another stupid penalty did them in.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
I keep coming here expecting to find ACC standings. I only have one thing to say to this thread title ...

College Accuse GIF

CuseJacket

Administrator
Staff member
NC State was favored by single digits at UVA.

Projecting that forward means our game, if played tomorrow, would be closer to a coin flip.

@GetYourBuzzOn, enjoy your insights when you have them on this topic.

slugboy

Staff member
I keep coming here expecting to find ACC standings. I only have one thing to say to this thread title ...

College Accuse GIF
Waaaaay back on page 10.
We’re in the middle right now. Three teams haven’t even played a conference game, and we’re Miami’s first conference game in two weeks.

SCHOOLACCOVERALL
Florida State2-04-0
Louisville2-04-0
Duke1-04-0
North Carolina1-04-0
NC State1-03-1
Georgia Tech1-12-2
Miami0-04-0
Syracuse0-04-0
Virginia Tech0-01-3
Wake Forest0-13-1
Pitt0-11-3
Virginia0-10-4
Clemson0-22-2
Boston College0-21-3

L41k18

Jolly Good Fellow

Bohannon has probably maintained the most success of all of them by posting double digit wins in 2019 and 2021 with a very good shortened covid year, although he is still at the FCS level and had a mediocre season last year.

Bohannon's success has cratered. KSU went 5-6 last year. This year they are 1-3 with losses to Furman, Chattanooga & Tennessee Tech. As much as we all (well most of us) loved the 3O when PJ was rolling, it's time has come and gone.

CEB

Helluva Engineer
Waaaaay back on page 10.
We’re in the middle right now. Three teams haven’t even played a conference game, and we’re Miami’s first conference game in two weeks.

SCHOOLACCOVERALL
Florida State2-04-0
Louisville2-04-0
Duke1-04-0
North Carolina1-04-0
NC State1-03-1
Georgia Tech1-12-2
Miami0-04-0
Syracuse0-04-0
Virginia Tech0-01-3
Wake Forest0-13-1
Pitt0-11-3
Virginia0-10-4
Clemson0-22-2
Boston College0-21-3

Wow… I had to look that up to confirm. They have 4 OOC and a bye in the first five weeks?!?
Are they still requesting a bye week before playing us?
Maybe they’ll be preparing for the option all week too!

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
It's still a little early - like to see each team play at least a couple of conference opponents but based on performance and opponents to date think I would go something like this.

1. FSU
2. UNC
3. Duke
4. Miami
5. L'ville
6. Syracuse
7. NCSU
8. GT
9. Clemson
10. Wake
11. BC
12. Pitt
13. VT
14. UVA

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
It's still a little early - like to see each team play at least a couple of conference opponents but based on performance and opponents to date think I would go something like this.

1. FSU
2. UNC
3. Duke
4. Miami
5. L'ville
6. Syracuse
7. NCSU
8. GT
9. Clemson
10. Wake
11. BC
12. Pitt
13. VT
14. UVA
I might go…

1. FSU
2. UNC
3. Miami
4. Duke
5. Louisville
6. Clemson
7. Syracuse
8. Ga Tech
9. NCST
11. Wake
12. Pitt
13. BC
14. UVA
15. VT

This may be the year Miami actually uses all their talent and plays as a team. I think Clemson is a solid team too to bottom. They’ve really been held back by their QB and FG issues. I think those get worked out and they compete with anyone. Still a strong defensive team. Syracuse intrigues me. They, along with Louisville, look like sleeping giants to me. NCST is a fraud that’s been exposed and will not recover.

Tech looks like the bottom of the good teams or the top of the bad teams, take your pick.

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
GT was the biggest positive mover on the list this week.

Biggest movers​

• No. 54 Georgia Tech (+23): Quarterback Haynes King is emerging as a real difference-maker for Brent Key in his first full season as Georgia Tech coach. Though the Yellow Jackets are only 2-2, a 14-point road win at Wake Forest caught the attention of our voters and warranted a bump up into the top 60

ACC Teams
#5 FSU
#13 Duke
#17 Miami
#18 UNC
#28 L'ville
#31 Syracuse
#32 Clemson
#40 NCSU
#50 Wake
#54 GT
#71 Pitt
#94 VT
#103 BC
#104 UVA

HurricaneJacket

Helluva Engineer
GT was the biggest positive mover on the list this week.

Biggest movers​

• No. 54 Georgia Tech (+23): Quarterback Haynes King is emerging as a real difference-maker for Brent Key in his first full season as Georgia Tech coach. Though the Yellow Jackets are only 2-2, a 14-point road win at Wake Forest caught the attention of our voters and warranted a bump up into the top 60

ACC Teams
#5 FSU
#13 Duke
#17 Miami
#18 UNC
#28 L'ville
#31 Syracuse
#32 Clemson
#40 NCSU
#50 Wake
#54 GT
#71 Pitt
#94 VT
#103 BC
#104 UVA
Unfortunately we only play BC and UVA of the teams below us. Gonna be a tough road to hoe, but I think we can do it.

slugboy

Staff member

1. FSU
2. UNC
3. Duke
4. Miami
5. L'ville
6. Syracuse
7. NCSU
8. GT
9. Clemson
10. Wake
11. BC
12. Pitt
13. VT
14. UVA
If you had to do tiers, how would you split them?

Would UVA and VT be paired up, or would would you clump the bottom 4.

Is it FSU and then a gap, or is UNC close behind?

IMHO, the SP+ and FEI models underestimate us a little—there’s a bias from the last four seasons that isn’t worked out yet. I think they still have us looking up to UVA. They would order differently, but they’re probably wrong on a few teams like us right now. SP+ had Wake as a 2 TD favorite