ACC Standings

LargeFO

Helluva Engineer
Scratching my head why Birr wasnt kicking xps and fgs from jump street. Kid seems to be money(blocked fg against ole miss not his fault). I thought he looked to be the much better kicker in spring game. I understand not taking his job from him given he kicked well last year and probably looked the same during practice. But UL game could have been different result with two made fgs.

I think he was hurt all last year. They may have been waiting till he was closer to 100%.

SOWEGA Jacket

Helluva Engineer
The FG kicker is SO important to winning. Just ask Dabo. They easily could be rejoicing in a big win this morning. Having to count on a walk on who was ready to take a job. With a big time program Clemson has had, it's a head scratcher why they didn't have a better alternative. I assume their scholarship kicker is out for some reason. If not, Dabo is not paying attention to detail and it cost him big time.
It’s because coaches are lemmings when it comes to recruiting. They’ll carry (like GT does) 15 WR’s and 15 DB’s and then lose games because of a kicker. How about you sign a kicker every class so you are never caught short instead of having 24 extra 6’2” dudes waving towels on the sidelines. The same for the OL.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
Maybe. I’ll consider it. But ND won’t play FSU, UNC, Miami (arguably ACC three best teams) this year so it may not matter.

Their match ups with Louisville and Clemson may or may not impact perception, depending on how the season unfolds.

Oldgoldandwhite

Helluva Engineer
It’s because coaches are lemmings when it comes to recruiting. They’ll carry (like GT does) 15 WR’s and 15 DB’s and then lose games because of a kicker. How about you sign a kicker every class so you are never caught short instead of having 24 extra 6’2” dudes waving towels on the sidelines. The same for the OL.
Bowden learned that lesson.

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Thoughts on other future GT opponents
Miami has been on cruise control since its win over A&M. But they certainly look better than they did last season. GT is likely to be a significant underdog in this game. Van Dyke is currently #2 nationally in QBR behind Penix Jr of Wash.
BC - the one game I feel comfortable in saying GT will be a solid fav. That said, their QB will keep them in some games.
UNC - has looked pretty solid this year. Offense is not quite as explosive, but the D looks like it has a clue. GT will likely be a home dog, but GT owns UNC. Maye is #6 in QBR nationally.
UVA - played pretty well against NCST, but found a way to lose the game. GT should be a big fav, but I will not feel overly confident going into Charlottesville, too many bad memories. Their true FR QB does not play scared, currently #43 QBR nationally.
Clemson - Despite them not being a CFP contender they will be hard to beat. Their D looked much better against FSU, but the offense is very inconsistent. Sort of expecting a close loss right now.
Syracuse - Hopefully we already have 6 wins by this game as this is likely to be a 50/50 type game. Army completely controlled that game in the 1st half, but Syracuse dominated them in the second half allowing 4 yds rushing on 13 attempts. When Schraeder is on he is scary good, currently #16 in QBR.
UGA - continues to start slow and then beat up later in the game on weak competition. They may not play a Top 20 team all year.

ACC currently leads all conferences with 6 undefeated teams, PAC is next with 5.
SEC is down to GA, Missou and KY without losses.

On paper we should lose to UNC and beat UVA, but I wouldn't be shocked if the reverse happens. Hopefully we just beat both.

L41k18

Jolly Good Fellow
Cheering an Ohio State win over Notre Dame seems inane. How does that help the ACC exactly?
I'll play.
Notre Dame is out of the CFP race with that loss. If they were fully in the ACC, they would have a chance to run the table, win the ACCCG & get in.

Yes, next year there'll be 12 teams. But only the top 4 conference champs get home playoff games. Additionally, a 2-loss independent ND is in real danger of missing the CFP even with 12 teams, but the ACC champ is in. With each ND loss, joining the ACC looks better and better.

NDame becoming a full member would elevate the ACC close to SEC/B1G territory, both in prestige and $$$

Last edited:

slugboy

Staff member
I'll play.
Notre Dame is out of the CFP race with that loss. If they were fully in the ACC, they would have a chance to run the table, win the ACCCG & get in.

Yes, next year there'll be 12 teams. But only the top 4 conference champs get home playoff games. Additionally, a 2-loss independent ND is in real danger of missing the CFP even with 12 teams, but the ACC champ is in. With each ND loss, joining the ACC looks better and better.

NDame becoming a full member would elevate the ACC close to SEC/B1G territory, both in prestige and $$$
I’d have preferred ND take their losses in ACC play ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Lil G

Ramblin' Wreck
Me too. I’m ready to wear a Duke Blue Devil hoody next week. Not really, but Duke beating Notre Dame seems really important to both future realignment and this year’s playoff lineup.
I love college football underdog stories, but I like seeing ND lose even more. However I was also hoping they would beat Ohio State, and then lose to either of their two following games against Duke or Loui.
I think Duke can do it with a great game on both sides, but Louiville has the potential to just win a 45 point shootout. I was a little surprised to not see them in the AP rankings this week.

leatherneckjacket

Helluva Engineer
I'll play.

I still do not see how Ohio State beating Notre Dame is better for the ACC than Notre Dame beating OSU.

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member

There is still a very real possibility that multiple conference champions will have at least 1, if not 2 losses on their resume. NDs path just got harder, but they aren't out just yet.