ACC Standings

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
Meh. I liked when I rooted for everyone we played (our entire conference) to lose. That made our bowl game all that more important.
SEC quit doing that in the 60s and, as they say, the rest is history. When the SEC quits padding their playoff candidates with this approach I’ll happily change back. 😊

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
The FG kicker is SO important to winning. Just ask Dabo. They easily could be rejoicing in a big win this morning. Having to count on a walk on who was ready to take a job. With a big time program Clemson has had, it's a head scratcher why they didn't have a better alternative. I assume their scholarship kicker is out for some reason. If not, Dabo is not paying attention to detail and it cost him big time.
Weitz had been the Clemson backup kicker. Maybe he was a walk on, but this was not his first year on the team.

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
ND could be in a playoff position this year if in the ACC. They have won 29 straight ACC games. With expansion of the playoffs next year, they likely get in as an at large regardless.

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
Weitz had been the Clemson backup kicker. Maybe he was a walk on, but this was not his first year on the team.
Very important position for top teams in tight games to rely on walk-ons. We have had our own problems with that position. Clemson should be able to recruit a top kicker into that program.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
All the endless complaints we have had about special teams and defense and these areas saved our bacon yesterday. The offense was not as efficient as it needed to be or we would have won this game going away. But, the good news, this reminds us that football is a team sport and we won as a team. If some phase of our game is off and another phase picks up the slack, that’s winning football.

GTBandit22

Helluva Engineer
The FG kicker is SO important to winning. Just ask Dabo. They easily could be rejoicing in a big win this morning. Having to count on a walk on who was ready to take a job. With a big time program Clemson has had, it's a head scratcher why they didn't have a better alternative. I assume their scholarship kicker is out for some reason. If not, Dabo is not paying attention to detail and it cost him big time.
They do have a top recruited kicker that has a cannon leg. Unfortunately, as is the case at times, he hasn’t been accurate this season in game. Which is why they brought in the walk-on. Kickers are like golfers, they can have all the tools, but sometimes they get the yips and it is mental.

slugboy

Staff member
They do have a top recruited kicker that has a cannon leg. Unfortunately, as is the case at times, he hasn’t been accurate this season in game. Which is why they brought in the walk-on. Kickers are like golfers, they can have all the tools, but sometimes they get the yips and it is mental.
Or they just miss one. The NCAA FG% leader since 1956 is 90%.
Clemson’s problem isn’t the kicker.

slugboy

Staff member
Two QB views from ESPN

ESPN’s QBR (what they add by throwing and running)
IMG_2242.png

And sorted by EPA (how much you add to the expected score)
IMG_2243.png

King is in good company. What holds him back is points.

Shrader probably isn’t getting enough attention.

slugboy

Staff member
Perhaps, but they have yet to play a conference game. Curious to see how Cuse does against their next three opponents - Clemson, UNC, and FSU.
They will probably give them all a close game, but be underdogs in all three. The Clemson game will tell us a lot about Clemson and about Syracuse.

Clemson has lost to #18 Duke 28-7, beaten Charleston Southern and FIU, and lost to FSU. Syracuse would be their first quality win of the season. Syracuse’s biggest win is either Army or Purdue.

Before our game with Clemson, they play Syracuse, Wake, (BYE), #20 Miami, NCST, #9 Notre Dame, then us. If we’re lucky, they’re battered when they play us, and still looking for a QB.

Miami has a bye next week, and we play Bowling Green. Miami’s toughest test so far has been Texas A&M—their other wins are big, but overmatched. I expect Miami to be favored by at least 10, but they’re upset-able if we fix some of our problems. It would be a HUGE upset, though

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Cheering an Ohio State win over Notre Dame seems inane. How does that help the ACC exactly?

I despise ND so I cheer whenever they lose. Their winning and losing in football means nothing to the ACC. I'd have been happy if the ACC had thrown them out of the rest of the ACC sports when we picked up SMU, Cal and Stanford.

What ND (or Clempy) does or doesn't do for the ACC is not relevant to me for who I support. If a fan cares about ACC finances and the flow through money to their school, I guess it would matter what real ACC football teams did.

stech81

Helluva Engineer
Miami has a bye next week, and we play Bowling Green. Miami’s toughest test so far has been Texas A&M—their other wins are big, but overmatched. I expect Miami to be favored by at least 10, but they’re upset-able if we fix some of our problems. It would be a HUGE upset, though
I have not seen Miami this year so not sure just how good they are this year. A bye would be nice but many times after a Bye the team comes out slow. They also have UNC and Clemson right after our game, so the hope is they overlook us.

leatherneckjacket

Helluva Engineer
I despise ND so I cheer whenever they lose. Their winning and losing in football means nothing to the ACC. I'd have been happy if the ACC had thrown them out of the rest of the ACC sports when we picked up SMU, Cal and Stanford.

What ND (or Clempy) does or doesn't do for the ACC is not relevant to me for who I support. If a fan cares about ACC finances and the flow through money to their school, I guess it would matter what real ACC football teams did.
I am not saying you should cheer for ND, but their losing to OSU does not help the ACC. To suggest otherwise is absurd.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
I am not saying you should cheer for ND, but their losing to OSU does not help the ACC. To suggest otherwise is absurd.
But does it hurt? They are not a member. The ACC has multiple undefeated teams right now playing solid football. Notre Dame does not figure into it.

If they join the conference it will be a different story. I’m not a fan of ND but ther joining would be good for the conference.

leatherneckjacket

Helluva Engineer
But does it hurt? They are not a member. The ACC has multiple undefeated teams right now playing solid football. Notre Dame does not figure into it.

If they join the conference it will be a different story. I’m not a fan of ND but ther joining would be good for the conference.
Yes, it hurts because they play so many ACC teams. It brings down the SOS for all the ACC.