ACC Network Updates

RonJohn

Helluva Engineer
So you're working as their spokesman rep for free? Now, that's philanthropy.

I'm not even being a spokesperson for them. I don't understand how stating that these things are simple business negotiations is being a spokesperson for anyone.

There isn't any information in the public as far as I know. From what has been reported in previous TV contract deals, it is likely that there are stipulations in the contracts of companies that signed early with ACCN that if any other provider gets a better price, then they will get that price. For example, if DirecTV is paying $1.25 per subscriber for the ACCN and Comcast signs a contract for 62.5 cents, DirecTV's contract price is automatically changed to 62.5 cents. If such a case exists here, then there will be a break even point at which ESPN makes zero additional revenue if the sign Comcast at that price. If they sign Comcast to a lower price, then they would actually make less money because many more subscribers would be paying a lower price. ESPN would want to sign Comcast to a price similar to the already negotiated contracts, because they won't want the revenue per subscriber to drop.

Comcast is probably looking at the ACCN as a net loss either way. If they sign a contract to carry the network, then prices will have to increase at some point. They are already suffering from cord cutting losses, and higher prices will drive further cord cutting so they will lose subscribers. If they don't sign a contract to carry the network, then they will lose subscribers who want the network. Either way Comcast loses. The only way for Comcast to make a financial gain is for ESPN to allow them to carry the network at no cost. ESPN won't do that. I would bet that Comcast is looking at predictions for losses based on channel pricing and are looking for a sweet spot to minimize their losses.

I don't see a good guy and a bad guy. I see two business models that are both about to go extinct. ESPN and Comcast(Cable service) are both fighting to remain relevant, even though their business models don't work anymore.

GTrob21

Helluva Engineer
I think it is past time for ACC fans who have Comcast to cut the cord or switch providers if possible.

You can look at Comcast's map, and its very heavy in ACC rich areas.. Florida, around Notre Dame and Virginia in particular.

If Miami, FSU, UVA, VATech and Notre Dame fans cut their Comcast, that would help :)

Animal02

Banned
I think it is past time for ACC fans who have Comcast to cut the cord or switch providers if possible.

You can look at Comcast's map, and its very heavy in ACC rich areas.. Florida, around Notre Dame and Virginia in particular.

If Miami, FSU, UVA, VATech and Notre Dame fans cut their Comcast, that would help :)
The fact is the percentage of customers that really care is relatively small. They have to worry as well about the ones that don't care that would cut the cord over a price increase for something they do not watch

Hokie Mark

Georgia Tech Fan

The fact is the percentage of customers that really care is relatively small. They have to worry as well about the ones that don't care that would cut the cord over a price increase for something they do not watch

The ACCN is likely charging Comcast about $1.00 per subscriber. If they simply passed that cost on without marking it up 500%, it's unlikely anyone would be cancelling their subscription over a $1/month increase. JMO though.

I get what you're saying, but I would think there are more ACC fans with Comcast than those who would cancel due to a slight overall increase. IOW, I think this business decision will be a net negative for Comcast.

Animal02

Banned
The ACCN is likely charging Comcast about $1.00 per subscriber. If they simply passed that cost on without marking it up 500%, it's unlikely anyone would be cancelling their subscription over a $1/month increase. JMO though.
People are already fed up with high cable costs for channels they don't watch. I have no doubt that if they were to announce a increase for that channel, outside of the SE....it would cause more harm than good.

stech81

Helluva Engineer
People are already fed up with high cable costs for channels they don't watch. I have no doubt that if they were to announce a increase for that channel, outside of the SE....it would cause more harm than good.
I know I am but if I cancel cable I'm afraid I would have to talk to my wife so I'll keep cable.

nod

Ramblin' Wreck
YouTube Tv as 21 day free trial starting now, weekend deal only else it’s back to 7 day trial

I signed up, watching ACC Network now.
Did PSvue free trial last week, YouTube app on android tv is terrible compared to PSvue, but it should work to watch games the next couple of weeks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RyanS12

Helluva Engineer
4E56A11E-A9D3-4F6C-A5C9-CA3B7C4C122D.jpeg
CE27A85C-ED0C-43B7-8D46-745BB75033FE.png
I tried in my hotel in Ottawa but it won’t connect to their internet but I’m literally sitting in my Yukon and watching it off the trucks WiFi while my wife is shopping and my kids are sleeping!

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Nuke: When I check out Sling's webpage, it still doesn't list the ACCN on Orange? Was this just changed? It does show it as part of the sports package add on, but I don't see it listed in 30+ channels for the Orange package.

Bama, sorry it took so long to answer but life intrudes.

To get ACCN on Sling you have to also get Sports Extra. If you have the Orange package like I do and that is your only extra, it $25 a month total. But you have to select Sports Extra as your only "Sling Orange Extra".

Sling remains the best value I have seen (a personal preference only). Come TdF, I'll swith to Blue. But otherwise I can't wait for all the extra baseball stuff. I've also got the DVR ($5/month) to record stuff.

AlabamaBuzz

Helluva Engineer
Bama, sorry it took so long to answer but life intrudes.

To get ACCN on Sling you have to also get Sports Extra. If you have the Orange package like I do and that is your only extra, it $25 a month total. But you have to select Sports Extra as your only "Sling Orange Extra".

Sling remains the best value I have seen (a personal preference only). Come TdF, I'll swith to Blue. But otherwise I can't wait for all the extra baseball stuff. I've also got the DVR ($5/month) to record stuff.

No problem, Nuke. That is what I figured, based on my research. I am using YouTube TV until the college FB season is over, and then I plan to switch to Sling or Hulu to save a little more.

Southpawmac

Helluva Engineer
I have Cox in Georgia and the ACC network is channel 79 for anyone that is wondering. May vary depending on your state.

GTFLETCH

Banned
Comcast/Xfinity has released a statement of their position - they are digging in and not carrying the ACC Network in the near future:

What’s happening with ACC Network?
For years, Atlantic Coast Conference sports aired on ESPN and other networks at no additional cost to customers. Now, ESPN has launched the ACC Network, a new TV network that will carry some of the ACC games. Unfortunately, they are demanding a large fee to carry it. This would mean that all customers, even those who do not watch ACC sports, would need to pay more. Many ACC games are still available on broadcast and cable channels without the new network. However, in support of our customers, Comcast will not carry the ACC Network until we reach an agreement at a fair and reasonable cost.

Is Comcast trying to protect the SEC??

Link
https://www.xfinity.com/facts/accne...r0TWXZ0S3wUklSCFUvP3JkTs0&irgwc=1&CMP=AFF:XFM

Comcast/Xfinity has released a statement of their position - they are digging in and not carrying the ACC Network in the near future:

For years, Atlantic Coast Conference sports aired on ESPN and other networks at no additional cost to customers. Now, ESPN has launched the ACC Network, a new TV network that will carry some of the ACC games. Unfortunately, they are demanding a large fee to carry it. This would mean that all customers, even those who do not watch ACC sports, would need to pay more. Many ACC games are still available on broadcast and cable channels without the new network. However, in support of our customers, Comcast will not carry the ACC Network until we reach an agreement at a fair and reasonable cost.

Link
https://www.xfinity.com/facts/accnetwork?CMP=KNC-43700046938173223-GOOGLE-380231519947-m-acc network comcast-e-ACCDispute_BR_Exact_NAT&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIiNDO_4-75AIVFMDICh0WXwQgEAAYASAAEgK3C_D_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds&clickid=w5ewiXVxlxyJWmr0TWXZ0S3wUklSCFUvP3JkTs0&irgwc=1&CMP=AFF:XFM
I am not a Comcast customer so I don't have a dog in that fight, but that just seems like total BS to me.

chris975d

Ramblin' Wreck

Link
https://www.xfinity.com/facts/accne...r0TWXZ0S3wUklSCFUvP3JkTs0&irgwc=1&CMP=AFF:XFM

Welp... that does it for me! I’ll be dropping Comcast as soon as I can figure out which way I want to go with another provider.

GTRX7

Helluva Engineer
I am a Comcast customer and could not be more torn. They are not the cheapest, but their content is the best (with this huge exception), and I have literally lowered my monthly bill the last two contracts while getting more channels and faster internet. Their interface only gets better and better. Fully integrated Netflix, Amazon, Youtube, etc.

That said, their customer service isn’t great and they are holding out on ACCN. I am going to the game tomorrow, so no worries there. I assume they will eventually deal, but I may consider switching at some point. Maybe it is just fear of the unknown? Right now, aside from ACCN, there is literally no content I am missing out on.