ACC Football Thread

Bogey

Helluva Engineer
He's not crazy enough to take that Miami job. He can do better. Why does Venables have a reputation for being crazy?
Look at his actions on the sideline during a game. He has one guy assigned to hold his belt like he is on a leash and he acts like a mad dog. I saw him take a swipe at the guy holding him one time. He is a bonified nut job.

Sent from my ASUS_Z01RD using Tapatalk

slugboy

Staff member
This brings up a serious question. If the assertion is that ND was noticeably less talented than Clemson, and that led them to be non-competitive in the game, then what hope do we have? We're about to run a similar offense, and unless CGC can get us into the top ten in recruiting, then we're toast? Because ND has averaged classes ranked 11.8 since 2008. It doesn't do us any good to crow about ND if we're about to be in the same boat. I'm praying Kelly was right, and those big plays sank them, because if it was a talent issue, that doesn't bode well for us.

Having top 15 recruiting classes and getting knocked out of the first round of the playoffs is a nice problem to have.

Our path is the same as theirs—through Clemson.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
I feel really bad for Temple

I don't. They'll be aiight, plus they got plenty buy-out money. Do better this time.

Diaz did them a favor. I have no idea how they saw that grown man rockin' them sexy receivers' gloves and thought he was the right man for the job (kidding).

Honestly though, this hire doesn't scare me at all from a GT perspective.

slugboy

Staff member
I don't. They'll be aiight, plus they got plenty buy-out money. Do better this time.

Diaz did them a favor. I have no idea how they saw that grown man rockin' them sexy receivers' gloves and thought he was the right man for the job (kidding).

I’d have felt better about a Rex Ryan hire. This says “more of the same” to me, unless Diaz has an amazing OC lined up.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
I’d have felt better about a Rex Ryan hire. This says “more of the same” to me, unless Diaz has an amazing OC lined up.

Seems like Diaz should've cut his teeth at a lower level before getting this gig. A place like , oh I dunno, Temple?

That said, he has a track record as a DC. But, as they say in basketball, it's hard to move those 18 inches (from the assistant's seat to the head coach's)

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
While I would argue that Clemson has a definite talent edge, I don't think it's that big. And Kelly was right, three of their TDs were 40-60 yd runs/passes.

ND's biggest problem was solving the Clemson D.
Clemson had one big quarter on O. The other 3 qtrs yielded them only 10 points. The big story was how the Clemson D basically shut down an, up until then, very potent ND offense.

Madison Grant

Helluva Engineer
Clemson had one big quarter on O. The other 3 qtrs yielded them only 10 points. The big story was how the Clemson D basically shut down an, up until then, very potent ND offense.
That's the thing. The talent edge is that 5 star QB and at least 2 5 star WR. You can look like you're not doing anything and then, bam, a couple of 40 yd TDs. I looked it up and Clemson outgained them 500+ to 200+. It was a statistical domination too.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
That's the thing. The talent edge is that 5 star QB and at least 2 5 star WR. You can look like you're not doing anything and then, bam, a couple of 40 yd TDs. I looked it up and Clemson outgained them 500+ to 200+. It was a statistical domination too.
I think they were outcoached as well. ND had a good defensive game plan coming in and it worked well in the first quarter. They were stuffing the run, pressuring the quarterback and forcing errors. Clemson made adjustments and ND had no answer for them.

It kind of reminded me of us when we were good. Teams would shut us down for a while then Coach would make adjustments and we’d roll.

Madison Grant

Helluva Engineer
Clemson is the reincarnation of those dominant Bowden FSU teams from the 90s. Too much of everything at the skill positions. They are getting the 5 star speed out of Florida now if you look at their roster. I'm sure the 5'9" S from Notre Dame who transferred from Navy is a tough, good player, but watching him try to run down the middle of the field with the Clemson WRs was the worst talent mismatch I saw on Saturday.

MikeJacket1967

Helluva Engineer
Clemson is the reincarnation of those dominant Bowden FSU teams from the 90s. Too much of everything at the skill positions. They are getting the 5 star speed out of Florida now if you look at their roster. I'm sure the 5'9" S from Notre Dame who transferred from Navy is a tough, good player, but watching him try to run down the middle of the field with the Clemson WRs was the worst talent mismatch I saw on Saturday.
Clemson reminds me of the 1990s Steve Spurrier coached Florida teams also

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
Not only that, but he totally miss read the play on that time he got burned for the TD. He was moving forward at the snap when he should’ve been backing up.

Dude is one hell of a tackler though! I wish he’d run a tackling clinic for our players.

By the way, it didn’t help Notre Dame that their all American corner missed the second-quarter where his replacement got burned repeatedly.

Jacket Bracket

Jolly Good Fellow

You know I completely agree with you…However, I felt the exact same way when Clemson hired Dabo. So…who knows.

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
I got this message from a friend who went to Miami.

"I was talking to a friend of mine about it. I find it interesting that Richt retired via letter, not even press conference then Manny gets the job the same day and leaves his Temple job. I have a feeling they were going to let Richt go gracefully but he needed to go after that embarrassing season. I was hoping they would get Mario Cristobal from Oregon who is a U alumni. I know Richt wasn't the best but I was always a huge fan of his. Maybe he will be an announcer. What are you all doing for the New Year?

"I also heard that he was asked to fire his son as QB coach and he wouldn't do that."

MikeJacket1967

Helluva Engineer
I got this message from a friend who went to Miami.

"I was talking to a friend of mine about it. I find it interesting that Richt retired via letter, not even press conference then Manny gets the job the same day and leaves his Temple job. I have a feeling they were going to let Richt go gracefully but he needed to go after that embarrassing season. I was hoping they would get Mario Cristobal from Oregon who is a U alumni. I know Richt wasn't the best but I was always a huge fan of his. Maybe he will be an announcer. What are you all doing for the New Year?

"I also heard that he was asked to fire his son as QB coach and he wouldn't do that."
There ought to be a rule where coaches can't hire family members and relatives for their coaching staffs:cigar: