ACC Football Thread

Deleted member 2897

Just read the Georgia Tech offense is #1 in the country in fewest 3-and-outs and #5 in the country in % of possessions that end in touchdowns (43%). Could find the first stat (CPJ said it in his teleconference today), but the 2nd one on TD/possessions I was able to validate via FEI. The only teams we're behind on TD/possessions are Alabama, Oklahoma, UCF and Ohio.

ibeattetris

Helluva Engineer
Just read the Georgia Tech offense is #1 in the country in fewest 3-and-outs and #5 in the country in % of possessions that end in touchdowns (43%). Could find the first stat (CPJ said it in his teleconference today), but the 2nd one on TD/possessions I was able to validate via FEI. The only teams we're behind on TD/possessions are Alabama, Oklahoma, UCF and Ohio.
Will have to wait for FEI to update this week, but I am not sure about the first stat. FEI tracks OFD which is
First Down Rate (OFD) is the percentage of offensive drives that result in a touchdown or at least one first down.
That to me sounds a lot like "fewest 3-and-outs", but taken as a percentage rather than total. In OFD we are ranked 11 at 80.5%. I would assume we have the fewest total three and outs because we have fewer drives.

Alabama is leading OFD at a whopping 93% :eek:

Quick edit, I also don't see where we are 5th in TD rate. FEI shows our touchdown rate (OTD) as rank 11 as well, at 45.1%. We are ranked fifth in "Touchdown Rate After First Down" (OTF) which is how often you score a touch down after first gaining a first down. But these were all last week, and may have changed.

Last edited:

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
I agree that fewest 3-and-out is probably tied to number of possessions. Using my calculated stat, Alabama and Oklahoma have had ~1.175 drives/Pwr5 opponent while we've had ~1.07.

With that being said, we are #6 in PPDvsP5 of teams playing at least 3 Pwr5 opponents (sorry UCF and Cincy):
upload_2018-11-13_17-22-37.png

Deleted member 2897

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
Well he could have played a TON this year with all their blowouts. He only left so he could be THE starter. He's not going to transfer to another school unless (barring injury) they can guarantee he is the starter. Otherwise he would have gotten more playing time where he was. That's a hard sell for a team - to guarantee he is the starter next year. I mean, the guy is good, but he was surrounded by 5-star and 4-star players. That makes the game easier on everyone. Will be interesting to see what happens.
I agree, we saw what happened with JT when his surrounding cast quality diminished.