ACC Football Thread

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
Clemson bumped the salaries of Co-Offensive Coordinators Tony Elliott and Jeff Scott to 1 million in 2019. I think both these coaches could wind up head football coaches somewhere in 2020.

https://collegefootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2019/02/08/clemson-bumps-co-ocs-pay-to-1-million-in-2019/
One of 'em should have been a HC in 2019. But both have the problem, a good one to have probably, of the Clemson experience, and probably never again will they have those kinds of resources available to them. That will take some getting used to.

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
I defy anyone to tell me who is actually on scholarship at Bama over any given 3 year stretch. Not even fan guides are totally clear on the numbers. Alabama is better at working the system than team I know of.
I gather that once again, as part of Saban's annual pilgrimage to whereever his football gods reside, he is replacing virtually his entire coaching staff, and I wonder if he works them all on a one-year contract. But among them is Charles Kelly, in an "associate HC" role.

I do not buy into the Alabama conspiracy theories that has them emptying the vault for players, since even the NCAA would eventually have to take note of that, but it does raise questions for me about how they rake in the nation's No. One recruiting class year after year, when all the coaches are new and most are gone in 12 months. I seriously would like to know the secret.

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
Each Div I team gets a max of 25 recruits per year. High school kids who sign NLIs count, but also two-year and four-year college transfers. They only signed 16-17 freshmen, so they have room for a bunch of transfers. Since so many guys transferred out they are not likely to exceed 85 on the roster. Grad transfers count toward the 85, but not the 25 per year.

YellowJacketFan2018

Helluva Engineer
Each Div I team gets a max of 25 recruits per year. High school kids who sign NLIs count, but also two-year and four-year college transfers. They only signed 16-17 freshmen, so they have room for a bunch of transfers. Since so many guys transferred out they are not likely to exceed 85 on the roster. Grad transfers count toward the 85, but not the 25 per year.
Thanks for the info,orientalnc

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
I don't think it will help Miami all that much because i think Manny Diaz will wind up being a flop at Miami like Al Golden and Mark Richt.
Mystery to me why Miami doesn't thrive. They sit in one the most talent rich areas of the country. They are private so they don't have state house interference. They have a tradition that appeals to a lot of kids. They are an exotic location for kids up north. And ESPN still fawns over them way more than their record deserves.

I think Richt had burnout. If he had won a championship at Uga he would still be there but falling short year after year took a toll.

☠CaptainBuzz☠

Jolly Good Fellow
I may get the starting OLs jumping me in the Hallway to English class, but I don't care if you're a future 1st rounder, you push me like that because I picked you on a basketball play and you're getting one across the jaw. I'm a Lawrence fan, but that was d!ck by him.

I would imagine Dabo is not pleased.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
Oregon quarterback Braxton Burmeister is transferring to Virginia Tech
Sorry to focus in on transfer but not thread to bump and I note that other teams are still Recruiting.

The transfer system needs to be a major component of an elite gt football program.

The ineffective bend but dont break defense and the special offense were not natural attractions for good transfers.

In year cgc2 if we beat down crummie teams and show "team" flashes against the 3 factories( nd, clem, uga), we could be a preferred destination for really good transfers .

Year 1 - we have already shown we are ACTIVE RECRUITERS. Now we need to show we can devlope (s and c) pick right players to play .

Yes, we need to show it on the field w good play calling. In 2 years if the OC has not demonstrated e excellence- cgc will replace him - hope we can raise a few more $ to get a rising power 5 of oc that can bring a transfer.

Also ,I hope Brent k can be a draw for ol talent- hs and transfer. Get the big butts and the skill players will follow .

Last edited:

YellowJacketFan2018

Helluva Engineer
Sorry to focus in on transfer but not thread to bump and I note that other teams are still Recruiting.

The transfer system needs to be a major component of an elite gt football program.

The ineffective bend but dont break defense and the special offense were not natural attractions for good transfers.

In year cgc2 if we beat down crummie teams and show "team" flashes against the 3 factories( nd, clem, uga), we could be a preferred destination for really good transfers .

Year 1 - we have already shown we are ACTIVE RECRUITERS. Now we need to show we can devlope (s and c) pick right players to play .

Yes, we need to show it on the field w good play calling. In 2 years if the OC has not demonstrated e excellence- cgc will replace him - hope we can raise a few more $ to get a rising power 5 of oc that can bring a transfer.

Also ,I hope Brent k can be a draw for ol talent- hs and transfer. Get the big butts and the skill players will follow .
I agree with you,iceeater1969(y)

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
I agree with you,iceeater1969(y)

On j t
As a soph I like j Thomas in a position he has simple read an can just react . He was on the group of 5 freshmen that let USC run 2 kick offs for td. On several other plays cgc he reacted well and "QUICKLY COVERED GROUND FOR KEY PLAY- pic 6.
As ibee says - not typical freshmen. "

Watching him play basketball - he seemed to have well developed upper body and smaller legs - ankle injuries worry me. As he bulks up he will be olb type.

Buddy who was d back in hs went to 1 st orange bowl w me , showed me one thin to watch for in db . Look for decesion point and how much ground they make up as they close on tackle. He was effusive in praise of Morgan burnett. ( I was watching the Iowa guy Claiborne destroy any play not to right).

Another burnett would be great.

CGC has a bunch db he has helped get to nfl.
Imo , That is where our 1# round pick will come .

Hope u are well.
Thanks for posting stuff u find on net about football- 186 days

Animal02

Banned
I gather that once again, as part of Saban's annual pilgrimage to whereever his football gods reside, he is replacing virtually his entire coaching staff, and I wonder if he works them all on a one-year contract. But among them is Charles Kelly, in an "associate HC" role.

I do not buy into the Alabama conspiracy theories that has them emptying the vault for players, since even the NCAA would eventually have to take note of that, but it does raise questions for me about how they rake in the nation's No. One recruiting class year after year, when all the coaches are new and most are gone in 12 months. I seriously would like to know the secret.
Because right now, the odds are very good of Bama making the CFP multiple times in the next 4 years.......lots of kids will go there regardless of coaches in order to get a chance at a Championship ring.