ACC Discussion

YlJacket

Helluva Engineer
I am torn as well as I know the revenue side of a lot of schools is built on having some confidence that players are going to be there. But on the other side I see a lot of NCAA sports operate with open transfer rules and while there are times it causes major headaches to coaches and teams, it does seem to work reasonably well.

And as a con to my own issue, now that the majority of the revenue streams for every P5 program is pooled TV revenue they should be able to manage through player transfers. Headache for coaches for sure but not a revenue issue.

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
I don't agree with this proposal. It will create a wild west worse than what is already out there.
If you go to a school and then decide to transfer you should sit for a year. The only exceptions should be if you graduate and have eligibility, or if the coach leaves for any reason - then you have free ability to move immediately.

Peacone36

Helluva Engineer
I don't agree with this proposal. It will create a wild west worse than what is already out there.
If you go to a school and then decide to transfer you should sit for a year. The only exceptions should be if you graduate and have eligibility, or if the coach leaves for any reason - then you have free ability to move immediately.

I would agree with those stipulations.

If you really want to put a stop to the craziness, start actually monitoring the obvious tampering thats going on while P5 coaches continue to poach the mid majors best players.

The kids need take their recruitment seriously and go to where they can play and prosper and be prepared for their future, not what gets their twitter feeds the most likes on hat day.

Peacone36

Helluva Engineer
That was driven by guys like Gary Parrish who was trying to convince everyone that "he isn't out of the woods yet" as if the NCAA was going to miss their chance to make money off of MB3 this year.

dtm1997

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
LOL! Certainly a convenient weekend for the team to get these. Certainly glad we're now an adidas school.

mstranahan

Helluva Engineer
Air Jordan 6 PE celebrating the school's championships.

Guess this is his Airness making sure they have a record of all their "championships" before the NCAA makes them take down the banners ;)

Peacone36

Helluva Engineer
Air Jordan 6 PE celebrating the school's championships.

Guess this is his Airness making sure they have a record of all their "championships" before the NCAA makes them take down the banners ;)

Riiight

Everyone performing the "investigation" is going to die before it's ever concluded and then it will just disappear

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
Duke is private so they can do about anything they want with admissions. They figure he will be one and done so why care. Their freshman profile is similar to GT with higher avg sat scores. Maybe he will graduate some day but probably not on his radar right now. I do know they didn't allow a wbb recruit in a year ago for academics. I have inside info on that. So they will make exceptions for top mbb players that meet the ncaa minimums. Are we surprised?

YlJacket

Helluva Engineer
UNC is going to have to go away from their decades old, Dean Smith inspired, 3 out 2 in system and play at least 4 out if not 5. Johnson isn't a guard as listed on UNC's roster but he also isn't going to go do a Tyler Hansborough imitation and root himself on the block. In reality neither is Maye. They don't have the back to the basket talent to run what they are known for so if they are going to succeed they will look a lot more like GT from last year than UNC from last year. I too think ole Roy is a pretty good coach but next year is going to stretch him a ton.

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
UNC is going to have to go away from their decades old, Dean Smith inspired, 3 out 2 in system and play at least 4 out if not 5. Johnson isn't a guard as listed on UNC's roster but he also isn't going to go do a Tyler Hansborough imitation and root himself on the block. In reality neither is Maye. They don't have the back to the basket talent to run what they are known for so if they are going to succeed they will look a lot more like GT from last year than UNC from last year. I too think ole Roy is a pretty good coach but next year is going to stretch him a ton.
I think this will be good for UNC when it happens. Williams has had the luxury to play the 3-2 two in an era when 6-7, 6-9 guys can play the 2-3 spots on most teams. I think that is coming to an end.

YlJacket

Helluva Engineer
I think Roy is having trouble recruiting (or probably finding) the post talent required to run that system. Bradley was supposed to be the cornerstone post player this year but he helped fix their perception that you can't be a one and done from UNC anymore. If Brooks and Huffman pan out then they have the post presence required to be true to Dean - but no one really expects them to be ready for prime time this year. Those guys are just not the 5 star talents that you used to normally see at UNC. Especially Huffman. Dare I say development players?

They have plenty of perimeter talent short and longer term so they are not going away but they may look a lot different.