ACC Discussion

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member

jeffgt14

We don't quite suck as much anymore.
Not cool, Cuse. This has to be #fakenews, right?. Allen graduated like 6 years ago, didn't he? Did he petition the NCAA for an 8th year of eligibility?

I mean, really. How old is this dude? Is he on scholarship or on social security at this point? (c'mon, that was decent for a laugh. Is this thing on?)
Just wait until Syracuse announces Gerry Mcnamara as captain.

Deleted member 2897

Sir, the word you're looking for is ... bullsh*t

North Carolina basketball is currently full on scholarship (as best I can tell) through the end of 2018. I'm wondering if the 3 commits in the 2018 class are sweating possible scholarship reductions.

giphy.gif

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
UNC is apparently announcing a $4B capital campaign tomorrow and requested the NCAA postpone the report for one week. I may be wrong, but this seems to bode ill for UNC. If UNC thought the news would be good (or not very bad) it might actually help their fundraising to remove t he dark cloud. Remember, they know what the NCAA said at the closed hearing in August.That uncertainty is a real drain on UNC and the state legislature is poised to hit them again in the next regular session.

I think a light punishment will be vacating victories in some seasons prior to when the "fake classes" came to light; loss of a small number of scholarships for one or two seasons; leaving the football team untouched, just sanctioning men's and women's basketball.

Next more serious, expand the above to include football and ban women's basketball from postseason play for one or two years.

Most serious, expand the above to include no postseason for men's basketball for one or two years.

UNC has played athletes in all three sports who probably should have been ineligible. The Women's team actually had grades changed. If the NCAA does nothing to UNC their enforcement ability has been essentially defanged.

Deleted member 2897

UNC is apparently announcing a $4B capital campaign tomorrow and requested the NCAA postpone the report for one week. I may be wrong, but this seems to bode ill for UNC. If UNC thought the news would be good (or not very bad) it might actually help their fundraising to remove t he dark cloud. Remember, they know what the NCAA said at the closed hearing in August.That uncertainty is a real drain on UNC and the state legislature is poised to hit them again in the next regular session.

I think a light punishment will be vacating victories in some seasons prior to when the "fake classes" came to light; loss of a small number of scholarships for one or two seasons; leaving the football team untouched, just sanctioning men's and women's basketball.

Next more serious, expand the above to include football and ban women's basketball from postseason play for one or two years.

Most serious, expand the above to include no postseason for men's basketball for one or two years.

UNC has played athletes in all three sports who probably should have been ineligible. The Women's team actually had grades changed. If the NCAA does nothing to UNC their enforcement ability has been essentially defanged.

I'm sure UNCheat is negotiating hard and in good faith with them. They're probably suggesting something like going super hard on themselves all-in for 1 year to make sure everyone knows they are contrite and remorseful. Something like reducing football scholarships by 10 this year and vacating all wins in football this year and no post season in football this year.

[sigh]

CuseJacket

Administrator
Staff member
I'm sure UNCheat is negotiating hard and in good faith with them. They're probably suggesting something like going super hard on themselves all-in for 1 year to make sure everyone knows they are contrite and remorseful. Something like reducing football scholarships by 10 this year and vacating all wins in football this year and no post season in football this year.

[sigh]
I mean, by comparison...
  • Violation: An 8 year investigation into another ACC program revealed a total of $6k paid to players across multiple sports, a few written papers, and a failure to consistently enforce a non-NCAA mandated drug program
  • Verdict: failure to monitor
  • Penalty: 4 years of 3 scholarship reductions, suspended HC for 9 games, 112 vacated games, only 2 of 4 assistants allowed to recruit for the same period of time

20 years of academic fraud? Where prior coaches knew about it, but the new coaches knew nothing? I mean, I don't know how you can hold UNC or any coach accountable for that. Most likely Cleveland State was meddling.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
What's going to happen at UNC is they're going to bring the hammer on the football team because UNC doesn't care about football. Larry Fedora is going to pay for the sins of his fathers...

If the NCAA really gets ballsy, they'll make UNC fans show up to their seat 5 minutes before tipoff instead of sashaying their butts into their seats 20 minutes into the first half after their 3rd round of wine and cheeses. That would really get the UNC fans pissed.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
20 years of academic fraud? Where prior coaches knew about it, but the new coaches knew nothing? I mean, I don't know how you can hold UNC or any coach accountable for that. Most likely Cleveland State was meddling.

Fresno State is shaking in their boots right now.