ACC Discussion

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
I'd love to see what you view as the highlight quotes. It will help guide us on things not to say if this ever happens to us.

I pulled these from the last page alone.

@orangecuse questions the "family issue" ...
Ha, the given/default "family issue" spin. Just like the ones we get when some high position type suddenly and rather interestingly resigns so he can spend more time with his family. :rolleyes:

@SacKingCuse immaturely questions the man's maturity ...
Bye Felicia...the removal of his negative energy will only help build a more cohesive team.

If it is a family medical issue, well I pray for him and his family. If not...I don't even want to know because it'll just piss me off about the immaturity of some people.

@orangedw has already moved on to the next 'cruit ...
Kid had very good offensive skills. Terrible defender and shot every time he touched the ball. He was nowhere close to being a winning player.

If he was going to keep being a black hole that plays no D and a general pain in the *** to the program, then he wouldn't have been a player for us anyway. Some people just don't have it upstairs. What are you going to do?

One year to get through and then we've got Bazley.

@orangefog has expertly diagnosed the "medical issue" ...
I believe the medical issue is his head is up his ***.

CuseJacket

Administrator
Staff member
Yea, no one was surprised by this. Taurean didn't work out with the team or go to campus all summer.

Seton Hall was in the final group when he decided late last year for a reason. Momma will finally get her wish.

For what it's worth, the quotes @kg01 posted are not reactionary/sour grapes. Some could definitely be worded better without the sass. But in any case the sentiment carries from last season i.e., at some point when TT's and TT's mom became displeased with their situation, whatever it was.

I hope Tyus Battle can play the 5 and go 55 minutes/game.

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
This is not exactly ACC discussion, but Rollie Massimino died this week at age 82. He was the coach at Villanova when Villanova upset top-ranked Georgetown (one of the Patrick Ewing teams) in the NCAA basketball Tournament championship game. It was one of the great upsets in March Madness history. There was a time when the Big East was the premier conference in college hoops. When he was coaching at Villanova, Pitino was at Providence, PJ Carlesimo was at Seton Hall, Louie Carneseca was at St Johns, Jim Calhoun at UConn, John Thompson at Georgetown, Jim Boeheim at Syracuse and Gary Williams at Boston College. I doubt any other conference has ever had that much coaching talent at the same time.

CuseJacket

Administrator
Staff member
This is not exactly ACC discussion, but Rollie Massimino died this week at age 82. He was the coach at Villanova when Villanova upset top-ranked Georgetown (one of the Patrick Ewing teams) in the NCAA basketball Tournament championship game. It was one of the great upsets in March Madness history. There was a time when the Big East was the premier conference in college hoops. When he was coaching at Villanova, Pitino was at Providence, PJ Carlesimo was at Seton Hall, Louie Carneseca was at St Johns, Jim Calhoun at UConn, John Thompson at Georgetown, Jim Boeheim at Syracuse and Gary Williams at Boston College. I doubt any other conference has ever had that much coaching talent at the same time.
I may catch heat for this, but imo the Big East was the best conference in the country during most of the 2000's up until the point that Pitt and Syracuse left for the ACC. The ACC was effectively UNC/Duke and not much else consistently, whereas the Big East had UConn, Syracuse, Pitt, Georgetown, Louisville, etc.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
I may catch heat for this, but imo the Big East was the best conference in the country during most of the 2000's up until the point that Pitt and Syracuse left for the ACC. The ACC was effectively UNC/Duke and not much else consistently, whereas the Big East had UConn, Syracuse, Pitt, Georgetown, Louisville, etc.

Cuse with the hottakes, hottakes, hottakes.

I don't think you're wrong though. I think the pendulum was swinging toward the ACC by then though.

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
I understand your point and do not totally disagree. Georgetown played for the championship in three of Ewing's four years. After that it was mostly UConn and Syracuse. Other teams had 1-2 seasons of success, but IIRC the league was beginning to go downhill until it expanded. That juiced it some until the ACC began poaching teams. And some of those coaches left their programs or retired during that time.

mstranahan

Helluva Engineer
The Big East was great in the 80s & early 90s when they were first getting started and ESPN was pumping them up at every chance. Ewing / Mourning / Mutombo years at Gtown. Mullin & Berry at St John's. Long parade of talent at the Cuse & UConn. They lost me when they started the insane expansion and picked up Rutgers, DePaul etc. The top 5 or 6 teams in any given year were always good but the bottom 8 were horrific.
The ACC was clearly the best conference top to bottom most years for the 80s and 90s. Three different teams won national titles and others went to Final 4. Then expansion hit. Thud. We suffered the same fate as the Big East. Top few teams were great and then there was the rest. Last couple of years I think we've seen a resurgence in the middle of the conference and I hope that continues.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer

I don't know the ACC had Cremins, K, Smith, Valvano, and Lefty. That's a pretty good line-up as well.

lauraee

Helluva Engineer

That was the year price, salley & co made the final 8 & woulda beat Georgetown & been in the final 4 if price hadn't had a horrific sprained ankle & as a result couldn't make a jump shot that game.

CuseJacket

Administrator
Staff member
The Big East was great in the 80s & early 90s when they were first getting started and ESPN was pumping them up at every chance. Ewing / Mourning / Mutombo years at Gtown. Mullin & Berry at St John's. Long parade of talent at the Cuse & UConn. They lost me when they started the insane expansion and picked up Rutgers, DePaul etc. The top 5 or 6 teams in any given year were always good but the bottom 8 were horrific.
The ACC was clearly the best conference top to bottom most years for the 80s and 90s. Three different teams won national titles and others went to Final 4. Then expansion hit. Thud. We suffered the same fate as the Big East. Top few teams were great and then there was the rest. Last couple of years I think we've seen a resurgence in the middle of the conference and I hope that continues.
Woah woah woahhhh ;)

A few rebuttals on this.
  • The ACC grabbed Miami, VT, and BC.
  • The Big East countered with Louisville, Cincinnati, Marquette, South Florida, and DePaul
Which expansion was better based for basketball? Miami and VT were akin to Rutgers.

Now let's do a "horrible" bottom 8 of the Big East. Here are the options.
upload_2017-9-1_14-51-29.png

I'll concede DePaul, Rutgers, South Florida. Who else was "horrible"? And by horrible I am assuming "horrible" implies teams worse than Miami, VT, Clemson, and Florida State who I'll call the bottom of the ACC. Again, I'm talking 2000's and for lack of a better generalization, ignoring the last 5 or so years around the time Syracuse and Pitt switched.

By the way, WV was also legit.

YlJacket

Helluva Engineer
Best conference swung back and forth between the ACC and BE for a while. With the Big I making a claim for it every now and then.
Prior to the BE era the ACC was the place during Cremins hey day (along with a lot of middle of the pack ACC teams)
The BE dominance was ebbing back toward the ACC and was going to go that way more given the changes in officiating to reduce physical play. That was the BE hallmark. I remember Cincy teams that looked more like a World Wide Wrestling team rather than a BB team. Actually enjoyed it but it was about to get changed on them.