ACC Discussion

Silk3

Ramblin' Wreck
I may catch heat for this, but imo the Big East was the best conference in the country during most of the 2000's up until the point that Pitt and Syracuse left for the ACC. The ACC was effectively UNC/Duke and not much else consistently, whereas the Big East had UConn, Syracuse, Pitt, Georgetown, Louisville, etc.
Maryland was pretty damn good

lauraee

Helluva Engineer
Kg01 posted this elsewhere but here it is again. https://www.diehards.com/north-carolina/north-carolina-recruiting-nassir-little-visits

"Georgia Tech was one of the more interesting schools on Little’s list of five, but he said it was because of a longstanding relationship with the coaching staff, including second-year coach Josh Pastner."

"That’s crucial for the Tar Heels for one very important reason — the class is already pushing its limit on available scholarships, and Williams is pursuing a few other big men including Darius Days, Simmi ****tu and Jarius Hamilton.

If one of those players were to commit ahead of Little, the class could be full. It’ll be interesting to see if Little’s timeline influences how the Tar Heels recruit those other players, and if Williams could find a way to open up a fourth scholarship in the class."

More interesting schools huh? Uncheat is so arrogant. So hope they get banned from post season for a couple of years & see some scholarship reductions like Cuse did.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
They need to take the soccer transfer/loan approach to this:

Give the kid 1 "free" transfer to anywhere he wants, provided he maintains a certain academic level (because isn't that what college is about?!)

If the kid transfers to a school that will play his current school the following season, he must sit out that game.

If a kid decides to transfer AGAIN, then he will need to sit out a year against his eligibility regardless of whether or not he redshirted.

I think that's pretty reasonable for all parties involved.

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
A part of me is on both sides of this argument. My conservative engineering mind says that contracts are commitments and should be honored. The parties build plans around contracts and make other commitments with those contracts in mind. Contracts are not islands. Coaches, colleges, and players should be required to fulfill their commitments. And, I am in favor of having all athletic scholarships be for the full costs of attendance for whatever time it takes. Players and coaches turn down other options when they make a commitment to one another. In a word, do what you agree to do and do it as well as you can.

The other side of me says that colleges and coaches seem to be constrained by nothing but the marketplace, yet they want to deny that market to the players. The hypocrisy of the current transfer rule is overshadowed only by the NCAA definition of amateurism. That side of me is arm in arm with Jay Bilas.

Peacone36

Helluva Engineer
The proposed rule says they sit a year if they transfer again. It's not like they can play for 4 programs in 4 years.

But I think kids already don't take their recruitment seriously/personally enough and this will make it worse. But if the coach leaves the players should be able to go and play.

I'm torn honestly